Is Eurobird 1 Astra or am I missing the point?

sunnyspain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Murcia Spain
Hi, From what I can make of this confusing addiction so far, is that there are 4 satellites clustered together at 28deg east (roughly), Astra 2A, B, D and Eurobird1. All of these carry parts of the Sly Digital service along with various FTA chanels?? how am I doing so far?
Then why if the Eurobird footprint is as described on lyingsat and kingofsat can I not find any chanels on it? do I need a non-sly Digibox?
I am using a 1.3m offset, Grundig GDS200, Sharp LNB.
On Signal test I get 0002 and 07ea, which I believe is an Astra South ident. How do I get the Eurobird chanels?
I've just bought a Pace 2600, but it seems that it's not just chequbooks some Royal Mail employees are after, cos it was posted to me on a 3-5 day service 12 days ago! and no sign of it yet.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers, Neil

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Eurobird 1 is actually at 28.5 East and transmitting S*y.

The problem is that the transmission footprint from the few channels I checked is tightly focused on central Europe.

Spain is on the very fringe of reception and may require a larger dish...

_http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/285e_popd.html

Although the satellites share the same slot at 28.2/5 East the transponders can be focused differently - as long as the main focus is on the UK (their intended subscribers).

Hope this helps

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Transmission footprints are a black art. The 4 satellites at 28E have 8 different transmission coverage areas!

2A / 2B - 2 each. (north and south beams)
2D - 1.
EB1 - 3. (1 fixed, 2 steerable beams)

sunnyspain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Murcia Spain
I realise there are 3 beams on EB1, looking at the beam info on kingofsat, it shows the steerable1 beam covering my area of spain with 85cm dish, I have 1.3m and cant get those chanels, could it be an alignment issue?
I'm after Pop, Tiny Pop for the kids, as they are sick of spanish TV.
I get Skynews, Men & motors and various other FTA, but I cold do with a few more, ie True movies, some music chanels and as I say a couple of kids.

I'm getting slowly addicted to this satellite game, and can see myself getting a fully motorised 2.4 before long.....if 'Her indoors' allows it??

Cheers, Neil

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It may just be the skew of the lnb needs tweaking. Mark the current position with a pencil, then slacken the lnb clamp bolts slightly. Rotate the lnb ten degrees at a time and see if it makes any difference.

sunnyspain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Murcia Spain
Following my earlier post, I apologise to any Royal Mail employees watching! My Pace 2600C1 has just arrived. Its plugged in and set to default transponder 12207, and I can still only the same chanels as I could with the Grundig??
So I guess its back up to the roof and do some tweaking.

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
looking at the lnb skew it to about 8 oclock and you should get some better results

sunnyspain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at the moment
My Location
Murcia Spain
right, been on the roof and done some tweaking, i now have loads more chanels, pop etc for the kids. i still cant get BBC, ITV, 4 or 5 but maybe I am asking too much? Possibly a invacom LNB is needed?
A question for any installers out there, what equipment would a 'top notch' installer use for alignment? there are so many cowboys out here that would probably not do any more than I have already done. I just want to check with them before I part with any cash.
I do seem to be getting 'drifting' signal strength and quality though, one minute its 90% and 75% next min its zero?? is this normal?.

Still, at least the kids think I'm clever!

cheers, Neil

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
sunnyspain said:
i still cant get BBC, ITV, 4 or 5 but maybe I am asking too much? Possibly a invacom LNB is needed?

Astra 2D - it has a tight footprint over the UK...

_http://www.ses-astra.com/corpSite/siteSections/ASTRAFleet/footprint/0_astra_2D_H.jpg

Still, at least the kids think I'm clever!

...and so do I!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sadly for you, the beeb & ITV - you will need a bigger dish. ISTR something around 1.8m is needed for Murcia.

thomo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
sunnyspain, you havent yet hit the sweet spot, if it is goining up and down on both strength and quality, you are there ,1millimeter by 1millimiter up and down,left to rightmove the dish, then move the lnb slightly right to left, but you have to be watching the tv screen or have a meter to hit it, if you are on the roof and someone below you will be there all day,