Is it ok to vacuum a dusty rf port?

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Hi Guys I just noticed the rf ports on my sky box were incredibly dusty, so I used the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to get the dust off. I just remembered reading something about static building up, but isn't that just if you go inside something electrical? I'm kicking myself for doing it, and now I'm worried I may have caused damage. It seems fine, I just wanted to check if there could be any potential problems :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not a problem.

"Static" is an issue for some Integrated Circuits and other components, but the outer of the RF sockets is connected mechanically and electrically to the Box casing, which is an equipotential zone, and the inner is connected to the tuner, which won't be susceptible to any discharge you might be the source of.

In any event, sensitive components in circuit are less vulnerable than when they are being handled in preparation for fitting.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Of course, instead of suck, you could try blow (Yes, yes, I know ................) after dislodging the dust with a small artists paintbrush.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
haha no it's fine, the dust came out ok, I was just worried about the static :D

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Thank you so much for replying, I was worried I might have roasted the chips or something :)