Is the Kathrein UFS 910 the best option at the moment?

EDW

Reaction score
Patchable, linux, ethernet, external pvr coming soon but single tuner only.

Forum here _http://ufs910.hdtvinfo.eu
in english

EU 280ish

Blurb

The new UFS 910 HDTV receiver is suitable for the
reception of digital satellite TV and radio channels.
The receiver processes both standard television and
high definition television.
Two CA modules for pay-TV channels can be added
to the integral Common Interface.
The receiver is fitted with an HDMI for connection to
an HD-ready TV set. Also a YPbPr connection, video-
composite and two Scart sockets are provided.
The back panel of the receiver shows two Cinch
sockets for stereo reception and an optical audio
output for Dolby Digital data stream.
Using a USB stick (not supplied), you can update the
software over one of the three USB ports.
HDTV receiver for satellite reception
¹
)
Display of information only if broadcast by the programme provider
²
)
CA module and Smartcards are not supplied
Reception of digital satellite TV and radio channels in the DVB-S and DVB-S2 transmission standards
Video decoding of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4-/H.264 signals
16-digit alphanumerical display to show the channel names and programme information
4,000 channel memory positions
Kathrein-easy-use EPG with timer programming ¹
)
Common Interface for two CA modules ²
)
HDMI for connection to an HD-ready TV set
Optical audio output for Dolby Digital data stream (AC 3)
YPbPr output
Cinch sockets for AV signal (composite colour picture, stereo-audio)
One USB 2.0 port on the front panel and two USB 2.0 ports on the back panel for software updates with a USB stick
8 favourite channel lists each for TV and radio
Multifunctional button on the front panel
Composite colour picture, RGB and Y/C signal output programmable on Scart socket
Suitable for software updates (operational software and channel list separately) via satellite or USB stick (not supplied)
Language selection for programmes broadcast in several languages
Channel search
Channel position sort function
Automatic date and time setting via the DVB data stream
1,000 timers (serial and interval)
On-screen display (OSD) in 8 languages (D, GB, F, I, E, CZ, NL, TR)
DiSEqC
TM
1.0 control signal and SCR one-cable system control signals (as of second quarter 2007)
LINUX based operational system
Mains switch
Delivery scope: Infra-red remote control, batteries, HDMI cable, Scart cable, manual, safety notes, power cable

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I am looking at an HD receiver, unfortunately the Kathrein won't be the one as it won't do a motor. Also, no card reader..othjer than that it has some good features.

Prodelin

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Tunisia, Prince Of Persia
Diseqc 1.2 and USALS is coming according to Kathrein.

Satellite Superstore which is the official distributor in the UK have direct contacts with the software development and they told him this last week.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I really can't understand why they didn't include it (DiseqC 1.2) in the first instance, as it is pretty much a standard requirement these days.

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Kathrein Receivers.
Software.
We have some feedback from Kathrein suggesting the Diseqc 1.1 software revision will be out in about 5 weeks and that they are working on the Diseqc 1.2 software for a revision after that.
Cannot be exact about that time scale but the intention is to sort this as soon as they can.
It should be noted that the Kathrein is a worlds first achievement. It is the first ever high definition Linux receiver and so the fact that some software enhancements are still in the pipeline should be considered in that context.
As a product we are very impressed with the build quality and the excellent easy to use menu structure. The HD picture quality it excellent. We find some HD units fail to produce good SD pictures. The Kathrein's standard definition picture quality is outstanding.
Price.
As for the price, the shipping costs to the UK are higher than to other mainland EU countries and in most cases our VAT is higher. There is at the moment a small surcharge on every Kathrein as the present batch were flown into the factory in Germany so that they would be available before Christmas but soon the ship will arrive and there will be a reduction in the price when that batch filters through.
Servicing.
When we took on the Kathrein dealership we set up workshops and research to recover the units if they were screwed up by the customer. Sending goods back to Germany for repair was something to be avoided. I am sure companies that shift boxes and have no expertise are available when price alone is the only consideration. We do not work that way. Indeed I am sure there are plenty of forums out there that will verify our customer care record.
As an independent dealer we only sell what we consider to be quality products. If they are not, we don't stock them. That means that every receiver we sell has been evaluated and selected by us after thorough testing. It may interest you to know that we did not release the first stocks of Kathrein receivers for 2 weeks after they arrived until the receiver recovery workshop testing had been completed to our satisfaction. We were not prepared to sell the receivers until we were in a position to provide good advice to our customers.
History
Some people may think that Kathrein are a new company. This could not be further from the truth. Kathrein have been making satellite receivers since the 1980s. This was one of the reasons we decided to take on the Kathrein dealership. Long established companies with a good reputation are not very common these days.

David M Craig BSc. MMIV MD
_www.satellitesuperstore.com

Admin edit: Live link disabled, please do not live link to non-supporting sales companies.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Hmmmm if it will drive a motor then I will get me one. It is also annoying that it does not have a card slot for a legal card...isn't this also one of the easiest things for a manufacturer to include....What module would be best used for a free view card or Premiere card?

Also, what is the diference betwen diseqc 1.1 and 1.2?

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Conax or whatever license cost money to include and would make the receiver much more expensive.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
T_G said:
Hmmmm if it will drive a motor then I will get me one. It is also annoying that it does not have a card slot for a legal card...isn't this also one of the easiest things for a manufacturer to include....What module would be best used for a free view card or Premiere card?

Also, what is the diference betwen diseqc 1.1 and 1.2?

Well I guess that they could have included a card reader like the Dreambox and let the unofficial aftermarket write emulators for it, but either decided against it, or didn't realise the demand for one.

From memory, DiseqC 1.1 needs to be set like a switch, using the motor's inbuilt satellite numbering and is limited to a certain number of satellites, DiseqC 1.2 is more flexible.

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Yes it would have been better if they gone for Diseqc 1.2 directly instead of 1.1

Something is fishy about this receiver and it's software development, it can't be that hard to implement 1.2/USALS ?

northern343

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
octagon sf918hd manhattan st350 triax 88 motec a2100 motor best 1.0 lnd diablo cam fortec star 5100 diamond invacom 0.3 xcam tiitanium m2 card
My Location
doncaster
allso looking for hd box clarke tech hd5000 or technomate 6900 do the motor side of things but no linux

Prodelin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
The best HD receiver without LInux is the Vantage 7100S

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
But as far as I understand they are not too great with motors, and their price is also 370 Euros. I wonder if there is someone in this foum who has one?