ITV Digital: 1 in 4 hand box back

S

Satman

The latest figures from ITV Digital are mixed to say the least. ITV Digital today claim that they signed up 46,000 homes in the last 3 months of last year (against 82,000 in the previous period - July to September). As at the 31st of December ITV Digital therefore had 1,260,000 homes in the UK which puts them on target to reach their forecast 1.7 million subscribers by September 2004.

But the problem is ITV Digital’s churn rate. This has grown rather than shrunk – it is now running at 24.9% against 23.1% for the previous quarter. In other words 1 in 4 ITV Digital subscribers are cancelling their subscriptions to the package. And that means that approximately 300,000 homes have tried and rejected ITV Digital in just the past 12 months!

The saving grace for ITV Digital is that the Government seems to be supporting their presence in the market – frightened by the possibility that, if ITV Digital collapses, then Mr Murdoch will be left to run British TV. And, in the background, the analog switch off date (2006 or 2010) is looming which will force British TV viewers to move to digital - Sky, ITV Digital, cable or the new BBC/ITV FTA package. And it is this last package which favours ITV Digital!

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Well the last thing we want is Murdoch running the show.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
an article in one of the papers yesterday says that they are happy with the take up figures and that they have a 2 year plan which is on course to be successful. They`ve well over a million subscribers so surely they can`t go tits up can they?? Mind, that cheeeky £25 connection charge probably aint helping them!!

L

lakes77

has the churn rate got anything to do with everyone useing goldcard and canceling there subsriction, just a thought

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
May have a small amount to do with it, I'm sure if it was considered a major contribution ITV would be quick to point the finger. What would be interesting to see, would be the success rate of box collection, as far as I know ITV havent sold a box in the last couple of years, yet almost new receivers are still regularly turning up at auction.

Rolf

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
that was something i was wondering. As far as I was aware all boxes sent out are new so if 20% of 1 million people give boxes back where do they go?? Can`t see any point in buying one at auction though. Current rates are £160 !!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, some poor devil on SatDudez put his box in the local paper for £60 and had sold it before he realised that he could have got a lot more. He subsequently received 200 phone calls.

I think that they refurb the reclaimed boxes and use them as replacements for broken ones.

Rolf