ITV Summer Ratings at Record Low

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Broadcast Journal recently reported summer viewing figures, and it seems ITV is suffering from a “drought,” having the lowest viewer ratings since audience figures were first compiled in 2006. “ITV1 is enduring one of its worst summers on record after some of its new entertainment formats underperformed,” said the magazine. “This year's figures are the lowest the channel has posted since at least 2006—the earliest year available—and some industry sources say they are likely to be among the worst on record.”

While viewing figures usually go down in the summer, audience figures for the broadcaster show that from July to early August, ITV has had an average audience of 1.2million viewers or 14% of the viewing population. During peak hours, which are from 7-11pm on a Saturday, the stats go up to 3.5million or 17%, but this is still down from the 3.9million or 19% the figures reported for around the same time last year. This data can influence what advertisers are willing to shell out for prime slots.

“The finger has been pointed at shows including The Marriage Ref, Popstar to Operastar, and Born to Shine,” said Broadcast.

Shown on Saturday nights, The Marriage Ref, hosted by Dermot O'Leary is a show that gets a celebrity panel to help out real life couples. It was reported that it once just had 1.4million viewers or 8% of the available audience. Popstar to Operastar also flopped, while talent show Born to Shine, which was suppose to launch Natasha Kaplinsky's career as a presenter, also didn't capture enough attention. It seems that without shows like Britain's Got Talent and the X Factor, the broadcaster has little to offer.

The stats showed that apart from ITV1's top soap operas, only one programme made it to the top 40, and that was for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. BARB figures, on the other hand, show that Emmerdale and Coronation Street episodes also made it to the top 40, but nothing else.

An ITV spokesman addressed the ratings issue, saying “The summer months often see a drop in overall viewing. As we announced at our interim results, we ha d a strong on-screen performance for the first hald of the year, with the ITV family share of viewing up two percent... We have launched eight of the top ten new dramas while ITV2 and ITV3 are the two most popular among the fastest growing digital channels.”

In other news, BBC1's Spooks will be ending after this coming season. The company announced that it was time to make way for new spy dramas, ones that would reflect our current world.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I think they're suffering a drop in figures cos they're just showing utter rubbish, once upon a time they used to show fun and intelligent gameshows, now they just broadcast shows with people making themselves look like idiots and repeating the same old programmes over and over again, time for new stuff I think...

Bring back Blockbusters for example, in the original UK format, what Bob Holness used to present, cos that was (and still is, thanks to Challenge TV) just brilliant, it gets the audience thinking, it encourages learning, and that theme by Ed Welch has never been topped... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
SWMBO enjoys an occasional crime drama on ITV1 but I can honestly say I havent wanted to watch anything from their terrible schedules since the F1 finished.

Ive given up on the local ITV news since Border was merged with Toon Tees. Since our local news comes from Gateshead its irrelevant.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ditto.

Nothing worth watching.

We also get Gateshead news, which is equally irrelevant, but at least can find something a little more relevant away from 103/119 (Freesat LCNs) using non-platform Rx's (Sometimes called "proper boxes").

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
^^

Even more of a joke is our ITV1 +1 service. That gives us Granada news - and Manchester is 200 miles away from here!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
TBH, I have never, ever, made use of ITV1+1.

Even an arch-luddite like moi now has a PVR and the point of "+1"s is wasted on me!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
In (limited ) defence of the company, they are currently repeating the Spike Milligan narrated animations, Wolves, Witches and Giants on CITV.

Much of the humour is certainly adult orientated.

A taster

[tube]zZ2rhgWKgoc[/tube]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
How very "different" - never seen any of those before. But I rather enjoyed it.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
[tube]jriSSLxXNLk[/tube]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Love it!

Keep them coming - but not too often as my Download Limit isn't overly generous (What do you expect for &7.50 per month!).

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
They are the only two out there, torrents aside, however there are three each day on CITV starting at 11.30 in the morning. The Dick Wittington on today was a hoot.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I may well be a convert.

Bob Meade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A stanley solutions poor communal system!
Thonpson HD box (with new caps!)
Supanet BB, Long time supporter of offshore radio,
Particularly Radio Caroline.
My Location
West Suffolk
They should dig up the old Treasure hunt series, repeat the old ones & perhaps make some new ones - if they can find anyone to run as fast as Anne Rice:-ohcrap

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They were great, with Anneka. The later ones with Suzi Perry were not as entertaining, but the scenery was always good.