Jean Michel Jarre concert on Euronews tonight.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Don't know how many Jean Michel Jarre fans are out there (I'm not one but thought it was worth letting others know) but Euronews (11343V on Astra2 and I guess other sats as well) are showing his openair concert at Monaco, live starting at 21:00 BST. EPG shows it lasts 3 hours so it may be worth getting a few beers in or popping open a bottle of wine.

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Cheers Pete, I'll get the hdd ready!! Not too keen on what JMJ's done in the last ten years, but I surely love the Oxygene to Zoolook era!!!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
I did have Oxygene but he's not my particular taste. Looks like his stage is setup on the quayside close to the F1 circuit. I'll watch as I seem to remember his light shows were spectacular.

villager1971

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox HD9000 coming soon, using Pace 810XE, 100cm sat. Scaleo E Media PC
My Location
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Did anyone catch this at all on Euronews. I only spotted the post by Pete 'after' the event. Oddly enough though, I was flicking through one of the French channels and saw him being interviewed and never thought anything of the evening concert. D'oh !

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, I did have it on, though in the background mainly. I did watch parts of it but found it rather uninspiring, unsurprising really as I've already said I'm not a JMJ fan. They did show all of the concert and the staging and setting (Monte Carlo harbour side) were very good. It must have been one of the few concerts where the live music could be heard all over a country!!

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
sonnetpete said:
It must have been one of the few concerts where the live music could be heard all over a country!!
:-rofl2

I did record it and watched it later (thanks to Pete!!). I have to agree with Pete, though - despite being a real fan from what I call the "original era" (starting with "Oxygene" and more or less ending with "Revolutions" - the latter not included!).

I thought the show was ok, but a mere shadow of his shows from many years ago (his Houston and China concerts, for example). I think he has somehow lost some element of grandeur or real spectacle. Certain things like the laser harp still stand out big time, but then again they already did 25 years ago, and there does not seem to be anything really new to create the real "wow" factor.

The flying camera-copter (or whatever it's called) was fun for two seconds (a fine piece of engineering, but nothing to do with JMJ, really...), but turned a little silly when JMJ started pretending to be talking to it asking it to leave him alone. JMJ's English is still astonishingly bad, though, which is really surprising considering he used to be married to Charlotte Rampling, and had to work with many English-speaking engineers in his career... Of course, if you consider that his concerts are always free, I suppose there's no need to complain about anything, but despite the fact that JMJ has always been very enthusiastic and energetic on stage, it's a bit sad to think that on a couple of occasions, watching him, I could not help thinking about Ross from Friends playing the keyboard, for those of you who are familiar with the series.

Oh well, it was nice to watch for a little while, and to have in the background for the rest of the concert while browsing a magazine. However, I don't know whether it's because Euronews broadcasts in mono or whether it's because it was a live concert with no mixing or equalizing, but the sound quality was really baaaad, which is really unacceptable when you consider that half of JMJ's performances rely on the quality of his instruments' sounds (not necessarily the quality of the music, but the texture of the sounds themselves).

But that's just me. Perhaps there are some megafans out there who would beg to differ?!... :cool:

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, if I was dissapointed in anything it was the unspectacular nature of the show. Very poor use of the TV screens for instance. The laser harp was good and yes, I've just laughed out loud at the 'Ross' comparison, (My late wife was a big 'Friends' fan and had the whole series on DVD).

The sound was appalling I agree. JMJ's English? Yes, it's true he was married to Charlotte Rampling but she was educated at a French school in Versailles and probably spoke fluent French, so he probably didn't get much chance to speak English. (his English is much better than my French though.)