John Betjeman Centenary.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Some people might have noticed it's the cenetnary of Sir John Betjeman's birth. In particular, the BBC has gone completely mad, flinging off "Betjeman this" and "Betjeman that", in all possible directions. Partly an excuse to raid the archives, of course, but nevertheless all interesting stuff.

He was populist, writing poetry that people actually liked! As well as writing about church architecture, and I think (not sure!) he invented the word "Metroland".

If you don't like poetry, you might still like him! Unfortunately, I can't quote any of the best examples, as they're all copyright, but there is this "small sample", which gives a vague idea ........
_http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Betjeman .

If you want to hear some Betjeman poems online, goto the BBC radio website, where the "listen again" feature stores stuff up to 7 days.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
A poet so good, even when he was talking, he sounded like he was reciting one of his poems. Brilliant delivery. I wish I'd studied him at A level, instead of Seamus Heaney! :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Damn right, Saturlight! Betjamen is considered "too populist " - ie, his poems are hugely entertaining and therefore bestselling - hence, not "serious literature"!

I wish I could quote some of his best stuff, really funny (and naughty), alas there's strict copyright, and unfortunately the books are now horribly expensive. However, you'll probably some anthology selections in public libraries, That is, where these still exist!

Use your public library ..... or lose it!

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Simple, but very effective poetry. Spiney, what do you think of John Cooper Clarke?

I've not heard Bloody Kids for over 20 years! :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Must admit, know almost nothing about him, but there's poems on his website, so will peruse ....

Seems he was recently in The Chap magazine, a rather bizarre publication with a cover that parodies 1950s knitting patterns!

http://www.thechap.net/Back issues.html

(that link ok, Rolf?)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I'm not a great fan, Spiney, but I recall him from my yoof, and his poems which were, albeit almost samey, funny. Hysterical. Like PUNK! :D