Just starting...

Tuga

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading all I can on different forums for the last 2 weeks, still there are a lot of things I’m not sure about. So I decided to join this forum.

I want to get a setup for TV Cabo on Hispasat 30W.

I have just bought a Manhattan DSR 5500 with built-in 6-1 cam and 2 CI slots on ebay for £70 (hopefully not a waste of money).
I know I will need an 80 cm dish for Hispasat (I live in Hampshire) but was thinking of getting a cheap small 60 cm Sky dish and LMB to play with one of the astra’s first as this is my first attempt at “anythingsatellite”…

So I would appreciate if someone could answer a few questions…

1- Is the Manhattan DSR 5500 CI-IR good enough for the purpose?
2- Can I use a Sky dish and LNB with my receiver or will I need an universal LNB and dish? (for the astra’s)
3- Which Astra’s can I get with a 60cm Sky dish?
4- To have the dish facing east it will have to go in the garden some (up to 50m) away from the box. Is this to far or will it work?
5- What distance does it need from the house to the dish so it can clear it (inclination and that ..lol)
6- Any other satellites worth watching sweeping from north to south? The back of my house faces west almost spot-on so I have a clean line from north to south…
7- Do I need to consider true south or magnetic? (if this any makes sense)

Sorry if some questions sound dumb but I have looked and cant find an answer so the only way to know the answers is to ask them…

Thanks every one.

Tuga

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
1- Is the Manhattan DSR 5500 CI-IR good enough for the purpose?

Should be, I believe that the embedded CAM will operate with a Titanium card, if not, then you can always purchase an X-CAM or Matrix Revolution CAM.

2- Can I use a Sky dish and LNB with my receiver or will I need an universal LNB and dish? (for the astra’s)

Should be OK with a relevant Universal LNB, if it is an old enhanced LNB, then no.

3- Which Astra’s can I get with a 60cm Sky dish?

You should be able to see Astra 19.2E, 16E, Hotbird 13E, some of 5 East, 1West and 30West, plus bits and pieces on other satellites.

4- To have the dish facing east it will have to go in the garden some (up to 50m) away from the box. Is this to far or will it work?
5- What distance does it need from the house to the dish so it can clear it (inclination and that ..lol)

As a rule of thumb, work on 1 in 2 elevation, so for every 2 metres away from the house you will clear one metre, so if your house is 10 metres high, 20 metres away should be fine. The further away you go, the longer the cable run and the higher loss from the run, so keep it as short as possible.

6- Any other satellites worth watching sweeping from north to south? The back of my house faces west almost spot-on so I have a clean line from north to south…

See previous answer

7- Do I need to consider true south or magnetic? (if this any makes sense)

Work on True south.

Tuga

Reaction score
That was quick….

Thanks for your reply Rolfw!
I’ll try to get a dish and then…. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions :rolleyes:

Thanks man! ;)