Ka & American Television Transponders

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Hi peeps. Haven't been a member of these forums for long, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong section.

I've got a load of questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with, and here we go....

Is there eventually going to be any Ka band tv broadcasts in Europe or is the band gonna be used primarily for data purposes?
I understand the footprints can be very tight as well.

Another question, my original understanding was the American "Directv" used monoblocks in the past to combat the lack of sat transponder capacity.
Now they use a special monoblock with 5 different switched internal lnbs with different lo freq lnbs inc. Ka band on a load of different sats?

I'm quite into how they manage to install the systems and subsidise them at the same time....

Thanks
Hixxy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hixxy1 said:
Is there eventually going to be any Ka band tv broadcasts in Europe or is the band gonna be used primarily for data purposes?
I understand the footprints can be very tight as well.

Is Ireland not part of Europe any more?
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/fringe-reception-general/197162-ka-reception-no-go-so-far-me.html
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/saorsat-saorview/192188-receiving-saorview-saorsat-wales.html
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...ue-saorsat-breaking-eu-broadcasting-laws.html

Hixxy1 said:
Another question, my original understanding was the American "Directv" used monoblocks in the past to combat the lack of sat transponder capacity.
Now they use a special monoblock with 5 different switched internal lnbs with different lo freq lnbs inc. Ka band on a load of different sats?

I'm quite into how they manage to install the systems and subsidise them at the same time....

Thanks
Hixxy

So what is the question and whilst I appreciate our membership is not exclusively European it mostly is so why would we be interested in what is below our horizon therefore we cannot receive?

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Is there any plans for Ka band television broadcasts apart from Saorsat?

I apologise for my confusing lingo. Did Directv use a kind of standard 2 lnb monoblock to begin with? I assume they now use a 5 lnb monoblock and they also use ka band. Does anyone know how easy it is for the engineers to install the systems and also it would be interesting to know how the company goes about making these lnbs economically viable to install as the production costs must be a bit more than your standard universal lnb.

Will check out the American forums. There's a genuine reason why I was asking, sorry to waste your time.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Topper said:
So what is the question and whilst I appreciate our membership is not exclusively European it mostly is so why would we be interested in what is below our horizon therefore we cannot receive?

Well it is interesting as what happens over there usually happens here sometime later.

With all these new Ka band satellites going up it's only a matter of time before Sky offer some kind of return feed via Ka band, surely? I know we have fibre and 4G well on the way but it's still going to be a while before it reaches everywhere.

Also, Canal Digitaal in the Netherlands are now using two satellites so they are offering monoblock LNBs for customers who want HD from 23.5E.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hixxy1 said:
There's a genuine reason why I was asking, sorry to waste your time.

Not wasting my time I was trying to ascertain a) what the question was and b) what the genuine reason was, that is all, as timo says (regrettably) Europe often follows the technology direction from across the pond, so I can only conclude you are looking to future proof your setup which until details are released of exactly what is happening on our arc, opinions, for the most part, will be speculative at best.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hixxy1 said:
Is there any plans for Ka band television broadcasts apart from Saorsat?

Testing on 19E off Astra 1H as of the last couple of days.

There will eventually be loads of channels transmitting off Ka band as the data capacity is much greater for a given block of frequencies. And the beams can be MUCH tighter so multiple spots can be used for the same frequency band

However this is a few years away yet as most of the new birds are mainly Ku band.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Midlands
Thanks for your replies gents. Might wait a bit longer till I buy a Ka band lnb, might get a separate motorised dish for it eventually. It'd be interesting to see if any data capture software would work but I guess it depends on which protocols they'll be using.

Hixxy