Ka band (De)Polarizer

satosk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Be independent and your TV screen will never be the same.
My Location
Slovakia - Heart of Europe
Everybody knows how important it is to have a proper skew alignment in linear polarization as every millimeter to one or other side may be crucial for signal increase. Even reception of circular polarized signal is not that painful as turning the LNB around doesn`t do anything really, the reception is more complicated due to thing called a "Polarizer", or so called "Depolarizer".

It is very common to see a dielectric plate inside of theLNB waveguide when Ku or C band is received. Design of those plates varies especially in C band and it is hard to say which one to use. Satellite enthusiasts have to try a few and decide which one suits their needs the most. If it comes to a professional grade polarizer in Ku band, there`s only one manufacturer that still makes those items. It is Swedish Microwave.

But what about Ka band reception as is rapidly increasing among satellite community and there are also lots of satellites that use circular polarized signals?
Well, those involved have an answer as Hughes sets are cheap enough and very popular to buy in the U.S.. They also provide professional solution and great results. If an offset dish is used, almost no DIY is needed to get a great reception results straight out of the box.

As a satellite enthusiast myself I keep looking to find different ways and solutions. I`m also very happy to have great people around me when I need them the most as I deeply believe, that collaboration leads to innovation and progress.
That`s why I would like to say my big thank You to Mr Ramon Arriaza, my American friend, a passionate pilot and also satellite user from California, who helped me to get a new item to experiment with. He has made a significant effort and spent some time to get it for me. So he deserves to be named and be proud that he helped us to push Ka band knowledge a bit further again!

As you can all see, the Hughes polarizer is not the only one that can be used. In my case my friend has sent me a Viasat Wild Blue unit that can be also used for reception in Ka band.
The unit itself was in the state as is, so I really can not confirm whether it`s the same as a "covered" version.
The unit itself is silver plated brass, is slightly bigger and heavier than the Hughes unit and it has two ports. One is standard WR42 and the second smaller one should be WR28.

I would be very pleased if other guys post reports of their findings with circular polarization in Ka band no matter whether with a self made dielectric plate or other depolarizers.

P1120882.JPG P1120892.JPG P1120934.JPG P1120939.JPG