Keys in Emu Interstar 8005 premium 2Ci

bypassall

Reaction score
brewby said:
ZykoNews, I do not know if there is a way to update the k*ys by null modem but I suppose it is possible to use a card somehow but I need to know which cam/emu is embedded in the interstar DSR 8005 2CI, I am only a newbie to this hobby and still learning, maybe our esteemed mods and experts can help us out with this one.

You can REPLACE the keys rather than UPDATE via the null modem. :) I make a back-up of my keyfile whenever I add any new keys, in case I accidentally hit the Load Default button )(-red

There isn't a cam module inside the receiver as such (not in mine, anyway) as the upper card slot has NO electronics behind it :eek:

It is definitely able to emulate Mediaguard (S*ca), Betacrypt (Irdeto) and Viaccess. Conax seems to be out of the picture for most cam modules/receivers at the moment and I have no idea if Nagravision works as I don't know if the 'boxkey' is emulated :confused

I am unable to reach Hotbird or further West at this time due to a nice(!) big brick wall :-HB so can't check anything else out, I'm afraid :-cry1

ZykoNews

Reaction score
bypassall said:
You can REPLACE the keys rather than UPDATE via the null modem. :) I make a back-up of my keyfile whenever I add any new keys, in case I accidentally hit the Load Default button )(-red

There isn't a cam module inside the receiver as such (not in mine, anyway) as the upper card slot has NO electronics behind it :eek:

It is definitely able to emulate Mediaguard (S*ca), Betacrypt (Irdeto) and Viaccess. Conax seems to be out of the picture for most cam modules/receivers at the moment and I have no idea if Nagravision works as I don't know if the 'boxkey' is emulated :confused

I am unable to reach Hotbird or further West at this time due to a nice(!) big brick wall :-HB so can't check anything else out, I'm afraid :-cry1

Hi bypassall,

How do you backup the keys from the receiver?
And how do i download to the receiver the new added keys.

brewby

Reaction score
Hi bypassall, It would be nice if you would share your secrets with us 8005 users.

bypassall

Reaction score
brewby said:
Hi bypassall, It would be nice if you would share your secrets with us 8005 users.

Get the "Downloadprogramm für alle Interstar und BigSAT Premium Modelle.zip.zip" file from the golden-interstar.com site's support page, and extract the "STBDownload-Multi1.8.exe" file to somewhere on your hard drive.

Attach a null modem cable between the computer and the receiver (preferably with the box turned off, at the moment), then run the program.

A window will pop up, with some settings for you to play with :p

First of all, go to Option and put a tick next to Keep Channel List - THIS IS IMPORTANT if you don't want to have to retune everything!

From the first box, choose the COM (serial) port, you connected the cable to (usually COM1, unless you are using that one for a dial-up modem).

The second box controls the transfer speed and you may need to choose something slower than 115200 if you get checksum errors during transfer.

The third box is the part of the software you want to transfer - set this to KeyData

The fourth box should be set to Upload

Click Connect and then turn on the receiver...

The progress bar will fill up as the computer gets the file and you should now have something called Key(yyyy mm dd).dat in the folder that you ran the program from.

If you need to send the keys back to the receiver, set everything up as before (cables attached, box off, run program, Options - Keep Channel List, choose COM and speed)...
The fourth box should be set to Download this time

You can drag the Key(yyyy mm dd).dat file to the program window, or click File - Load and browse to it. The third box should automatically change to KeyData but double-check to be sure.

Now click Connect and turn the receiver on again.

As before, the progress bar will fill as the box gets the file and near/at the end, the words Flash Write should appear as the box updates. Don't do anything to the program until your receiver has successfully turned back on, because stopping the write early could possibly mess things up :eek:

If you ever get four dashes on the front of the receiver, instead of a channel number after an update, it is probably because you forgot to set Keep Channel List and you'll need to retune everything - ALWAYS REMEMBER THE CORRECT SETTING (I've been there, trust me :D)

It is a good idea to make a backup of your channel lists for if this happens - just do the same as with the KeyData but this time, set the third box to Data Only

This file is bigger and (with my setup, anyway) is more prone to checksum errors during transfer to the computer - patience is needed :rolleyes:
Hopefully, you'll never need to use this backup and if you ever have trouble with a firmware revision ("version mismatch"), it is possible that the box won't accept it anyway :mad:

"But hey, let's make sure it doesn't come to that" :)

brewby

Reaction score
Brilliant info it will help novices like me to progress in this hobby, one thing I would like to know though is about the key data file, can you use a softcam reg file or does it have to be a bin file? or as you mention a dat file

bypassall

Reaction score
brewby said:
Brilliant info it will help novices like me to progress in this hobby, one thing I would like to know though is about the key data file, can you use a softcam reg file or does it have to be a bin file? or as you mention a dat file

.dat is just what the up/down-loading software calls them.
They appear to be a form of binary but it is almost certainly in their own format and you can't use softcam.reg files at all.
Hopefully anybody trying to download a random .bin to the box will just have the file unrecognised rather than overwriting important information :eek:

Any new keys will have to be entered into the receiver, using the remote as usual :)
Transferring to/from a computer is only really for backup purposes, although it should be possible to share key.dat files in the same way that softcam files are - but always make it clear what system the keys were taken from to avoid compatibility issues :p