Lap top Technical Advice

elgazzar52

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STRONG 4620x
My Location
Egypt
Hi ,

If it is recommnded to plug in the AC\DC transformer to my Lap top in the time I am using it .OR. to use my Lap Top using the battary only and recharge when it needed to be recharged >

thanx

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
In order to maintain the general life of the battery, charge it up and let it run down by using the laptop on battery power, then recharge again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I've knackered both of my batteries by leaving the thing plugged in when using it, neither of them hold a charge now.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whilst the general rule for recharegeable NiCad batteries is to let them discharge completely, I thought that Lithium ion batteries had no 'memory' that caused them trouble if kept fully charged.

You learn something every day.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
Whilst the general rule for recharegeable NiCad batteries is to let them discharge completely, I thought that Lithium ion batteries had no 'memory' that caused them trouble if kept fully charged.

You learn something every day.

Me too CH I was under the impression that the LI batteries were developed to overcome that very problem indeed mine has been OK for the last 18 months and is always connected unless out and about. Still has 1.5 hrs running time capacity.

elgazzar52

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STRONG 4620x
My Location
Egypt
Thank you all

But, find attached a copy of the message which i just received from DELL TECHNICAL SUPPORT concerning the same question

((Other than to re-charge it, it's actually advisable to remove the battery if you primarily use the AC adapter ))

What do you think ??

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
elgazzar52 said:
Thank you all

But, find attached a copy of the message which i just received from DELL TECHNICAL SUPPORT concerning the same question

((Other than to re-charge it, it's actually advisable to remove the battery if you primarily use the AC adapter ))

What do you think ??

Sounds like a good advise if you hardly use the battery. Just get the battery fully charged first before removal.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
Sounds like a good advise if you hardly use the battery.

Yes I would agree if it is hardly ever used outside the house, especially with a Dell, they have been known to burst into flames before now in 2006 and 2007 :eek:

_http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1526424/Exploding-laptops-prompt-Dell-battery-recall.html

_http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/18/223974/dell-laptop-battery-recall-the-expert-view.htm

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
elgazzar52 said:
Thank you all

What do you think ??

To save losing data it is imperative that this advice is combined with the use of a UPS in the mains cable to the laptop.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
elgazzar52 said:
I goosed the battery on my HP laptop completely by leaving it in all the time while running off the power supply - using it as a UPS effectively.

On my Toshiba laptop I take the battery out whenever I'm running off the PSU (such as right now!). This is the best method as a Lion battery has a limited number of charge/discharge cycles and should be used only when truly off the mains power to extend its life.

The disadvantage is that if I accidentally move the small DC power plug on the back of the laptop I can lose everything in a moment!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
The disadvantage is that if I accidentally move the small DC power plug on the back of the laptop I can lose everything in a moment!

I have a soldering iron if you can strip her down.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Channel Hopper said:
I have a soldering iron if you can strip her down.

Strip her down sounds good to me, lol :p :p

I managed to get an old laptop going by soldering the dc connector as it started to get loose.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
As Paul says Li-Ion batteries have quite a limited number of charge/discharge cycles - probably around 500, so if you do discharge and recharge to try and preserve battery life then once a week is probably better than once a day.

I've read many places saying discharging to 40% then rechargning is better than a full discharge - don't know if this is true. I'm not sure anyone actually knows :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Some interesting articles if you look for them, Li-On batteries do not suffer from the memory effect but as mention have a limitation on the number of recharge cycles, it seems somebody has managed to design something that is worse than the originals and get away with it.
_http://ezinearticles.com/?Take-Care-Of-Your-Li-On-Battery&id=423379

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
PoloMint said:
As Paul says Li-Ion batteries have quite a limited number of charge/discharge cycles - probably around 500, so if you do discharge and recharge to try and preserve battery life then once a week is probably better than once a day.

I've read many places saying discharging to 40% then rechargning is better than a full discharge - don't know if this is true. I'm not sure anyone actually knows :)
From what I've read, with Lion batteries 2 half charges is equivalent to 1 full charge in terms of over life cycle chargings. Personally I believe that there's a slight loss so would always go for the full discharge/charge when on a bettery.

I have several soldering irons but that's not the problem on the Tosh (although it is on the HP - which is another story!) , it's just when rotating the DC plug it obviously skips slightly and causes the problem. Simple solution - I leave the DC lead looped over the top corner of the screen so it doesn't move around.

Incidentally, and completely off topic, I've just bought another laptop. I bought it for the software and hardware that came with it. It's an old Advent with Lexia software and EOBD plug and adaptor to plug into my Citroens and read the on-board ECUs. I can also change and write to them so I should be able to completely bugger the cars up. I've already managed to disassociate one of the ignition keys on the Xsara so that it's not recognised any more...