Legendary Soap Opera Dallas Returns to TV

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
One of the most iconic and longest running soap operas of all time is set to return to TV. U.S. broadcaster, TNT is breathing new life into Dallas, which ran for 13 years from 1978 to 1991 on CBS. TNT spokespeople report that a pilot for the show was commissioned earlier this year. Now the network has announced that it's ordered 10 more episodes, which will be shown in the summer of 2012.

The creators behind the new show have said that it is “not a remake as much as a continuation” that “takes the next generation of Ewings and continues the battle.” Die hard Dallas fans will be happy to know that Linda Gray, Larry Hagman, and Patrick Duffy will be keeping their roles, and the show will focus more on their children and how the rivalries and power struggles of the two feuding cattle-ranching and oil owning families have continued.

This generation's JR and Bobby will be played by Josh Henderson of 90210 and Jesse Metcalfe of Desperate Housewives. Henderson, who actually appeared as a child in the original series, will be playing John Ross, JR Ewing's son. Metcalfe will be playing Christopher, Bobby Ewing's son.

A recently released trailer for the upcoming series has already cause quite a stir. Intrigue, drama, and scandal are in the works for the young Ewings, and writers are likely to work hard to keep audiences watching, wondering, and fascinated in much the same way the original writers kept millions of people at a standstill with their “Who shot JR?” plot.

The original show aired on BBC1, but this time around, Channel 5 has already gotten the exclusive rights to air the show in the UK shortly after its US transmission. The channel has met great success with the US shows it brings in, such as CSI, Law & Order, and The Mentalist. Director of programmes, Jeff Ford conveyed optimism for the new installment of Dallas, saying: “With its alluring mix of wealth, seduction, scandal and intrigue, there is something for everyone on the Southfork Ranch and it's a hugely exciting addition to our 2012 schedule.” No doubt, they believe they have yet another hit on their hands.

Channel 5 also recently met significant success with the first draw of their owner Richard Desmond's Health Lottery, which aired during the 9:30pm break on Saturday. The same time as The X Factor on ITV1. The combined audience for the show peaked at over 10 million viewers who watched two women, one a 40-year-old from Wales and the other a 63-year-old from Lancashire, win the jackpot of £100,000 each.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
"Who nicked JR's Zimmer frame?"

Analoguesat

Administrator