Licence Dodgers Excuses

N

net1

The worst excuse given by a licence dodger caught in North Wales blamed television host Anne Robinson, investigators revealed last night.

An unnamed licence dodger said, when confronted by an inspector: "That's not The Weakest Link in the background.

Anne Robinson is a friend who is visiting for tea."

TV Licensing in Wales spokeswoman Michelle Hughes said: "The cheeky excuses given never cease to amaze our officers.

"But people should remember that they just won't get away with it.

"Our officers are experts at catching evaders, so no matter how good the excuse, they will have heard it all before.

"If you're caught without a TV licence, then you risk a trip to court and a fine of up to £1,000. However, we would always prefer people to buy a licence rather than risk prosecution.

Other excuses given this year included a licence evader claiming: "No, that's not a TV you can hear in the background, it's a tape of adverts I play to entertain the children."

Another said: "The TV is to keep the cat warm - we don't watch it. Just because I have a satellite dish on my house, doesn't mean I've got a TV - I've got two pints of milk on my doorstep, but no cow."

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The local paper reported the excuse
"Dont know where that tv came from- it must be my Christmas present and my husband forgot to hide it"

(Southern Reporter 2nd dec 2004)