Lidl Offer 8thDec08 SilverCrest system

Shelly1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I ma buying a new SiverCrst HomeSatellite System and need advice - offer from Lidl
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hi everyone
I am very new to all this so any help would be very much appreciated
I am thinking of buying the offer at Lidl of a SilverCrest Digital Home Satellite System
I need it for my campervan as i am touring Europe for 9 months next year
Will this system be suitable to give me a lot of english channels so i will not missing the british soaps and all
What else would i need? and is it easy to set up

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on the dish size and where in Europe you are travelling.

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
i have seen these offers before the are usually on tiny little dish's and almost no good at all outside uk for astra2 signals "sky tv" but like rolf said it depends on where you are going if you going to say south france,spain you can totally forget it as these dishes are big boys and would proberbly launch your campervan into flight

DarkSider1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 3100d
90cm FortecStar dish
FortecStar HH120 motor powered by UsalS
FSku-VN 0.2db LNB
30w>53e
FortecStar mercury II fixed at 19east
FREESAT with card.
EuroVox ex5000pvr
My Location
Lancashire
To receive 28.2 in north spain requires a 1.2m atleast i think and more than 1.8 for southern spain. The dish you get with this package is a zone2 sly dish which is 60cm.

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Plus usually build quality is shocking :)on all lidl, screwfix and b and q kit, if your thinking about getting some kit check out site sponser's, maybe more expensive but it ll last and they ll be able to point you in right direction depending upon where your travelling and best kit for you

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
i dont think its even a zone 2 dish. the ones i have seen in b&q are smaller than a zone 1 if fact the rubbish they try and sell in b&q makes me laugh and i feel sorry for anyone who buys it also you dont want any of it to break down while you are away

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
kenny1234 said:
Plus usually build quality is shocking :)on all lidl, screwfix and b and q kit, if your thinking about getting some kit check out site sponser's, maybe more expensive but it ll last and they ll be able to point you in right direction depending upon where your travelling and best kit for you

I'll have to disagree on that, having owned a Lidl portable kit for a good few years now, ok the clamp-mount broke and the dish tries to escape in high winds, but the original box (Comag PortyII) worked great, as does my current Silvercrest SL-65 (when I use it), so it is a great kit once you get to know it... :)

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the current model of portable receiver as I haven't used one as I'm happy with my mains-only SL-65... :)

The usual portable dish is 40cm I think, so very limited as to what it can pick up, but with some careful tweaking, it'll pick up a decent amount, it just takes practice... :)

G

The SL65 (if that's what they are still promoting) is a fine bit of cheapie kit, albeit with a strange methodology in USALS for going from Satellite A to Satellite B via X, J, C and U unless you enter and store them all in strict East to West (or West to East) order).

The Blind Scan (Auto Search) is quite wizzy and the inbuilt beeper is a boon for alignment purposes: I shove mine through a 75W Hi-Fi amp so I can hear it outside.

Mind you, so can the whole village :-harpist

Shelly1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I ma buying a new SiverCrst HomeSatellite System and need advice - offer from Lidl
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hi everyone
I was in Lidl today checking it out
The offer is:
80cm dish
SL85 Silvercrest
Connection to 9 satelites including Astra1,2 ......
I will be travelling to Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Luzembory, Switzerland and maybe Bulgaria.

I am worried it comes with a 240 volt pwer connection and not sure if i can convert to 12 volt dual power.
Will this give me Freesat channels

Does this help you help me decide if it is worth buying and keep me right?
What are your thougts guys & Girls?

M:)):confused

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Shelly1 said:
Hi everyone
The offer is:
80cm dish
SL85 Silvercrest
I will be travelling to Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Luzembory, Switzerland and maybe Bulgaria.
Shelly1 said:
I am worried it comes with a 240 volt pwer connection and not sure if i can convert to 12 volt dual power.
Surely if you are touring for that length of time you are taking a small 12V to 220V inverter with you. I have one that fits in the cigarette lighter socket and runs a DVD or charges a phone

Shelly1 said:
As already mentioned not with an 80cm dish, the freesat channels are focussed on the UK you will however get them in France OK but the further East or South you go the bigger the dish you need

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Shelly1 said:
Hi everyone
The offer is:
80cm dish
SL85 Silvercrest

Does this help you help me decide if it is worth buying and keep me right?
What are your thougts guys & Girls?

M:)):confused

Doesn't sound like the portable kit, and if it's the same "80cm" dish I have then it's actually 70cm, they measured it vertically, not horizontally... ;)

Saying that though, you could probably attach the dish to the jockey wheel thingy, so as long as the front aims roughly south, you should get full satellite coverage, but it all depends on where you're going, check out the following Astra-2 maps to see if you can get it, Astra-2D carries the BBC and suchlike, the others usually just carry, well, mostly cr*p!!! :-rofl2

2D - http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/satellite-footprint-library/110370-astra-2d-28-2e.html
2A/2B/2E - http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/satellite-footprint-library/110368-astra-2a-2b-28-2e.html

As for the box, usually they add a "/12" to the model number for the portable versions, so it would be "SL-85/12" if it were a 12v version, but all is not lost, the boxes are pretty low power so you could just use a small 12v-240v inverter to power it from batteries... :)

EDIT:
D'oh!!! just beaten to the mark!!! :D

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Edit: I'm almost certain 2cvbloke's post was not there when I answered earlier :confused.

Shelly1 said:
80cm dish
SL85 Silvercrest
Are you sure its 12V model, Anytime I've seen the 12V portable package, it came with a piddly little plastic dish (more like a dinner plate.)

The package that included the 80cm dish was mains powered.
Shelly1 said:
You can only point at one at time :)

I'm not sure about the SL85 (I didnt think there was such a model), But I had the loan of an SL65 for a week recently, it seemed to be a perfectly good little receiver. My only problem with it was the fiddly antenna setup menu mentioned earlier, where I struggled to get some sats on a motorized system.

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA only , sl 65 comag,80cm motorised sited
1300Ft in highest village in Wales,next door to coed llandegla.
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Good Evening Everyone.

My first post, I have used a SL 65 for about five years now,that is the mains varient, its good for the money,difficult to programme the channels and it runs hot, but a good piece of kit.
Nice to see a few old friends on this site:),
Maplin sell the 12 volt comag,dont think its SL85,the comag site
will say if this model exists.

CP

G

Eee.

Hello Bob! :-worship

Not been here long myself - seem like a nice bunch :-righton

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rai uno said:
Eee.

We're all grapeful for that :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
coloured pony said:
Good Evening Everyone.

My first post, I have used a SL 65 for about five years now,that is the mains varient, its good for the money,difficult to programme the channels and it runs hot, but a good piece of kit.
Nice to see a few old friends on this site:),
Maplin sell the 12 volt comag,dont think its SL85,the comag site
will say if this model exists.

CP

Mine is a probably a later version than yours, so I find it easy to use and it's not a miniature radiator, but I think yours has the advantage of being p@tchable, if you're interested in that sort of thing... :)

The Maplin version I think is also the SL-65/12, going by the picture on their site (see link), but will probably vary as they update the kit... :)

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/a96fj_from-supplier.jpg

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA only , sl 65 comag,80cm motorised sited
1300Ft in highest village in Wales,next door to coed llandegla.
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
rai uno said:
Eee.

Good Morning Gordon:).

Yes, I am very impressed with this site,helpful, I am going to enjoy
learning from it.

Bob

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
Has anyone bought the twin tuner 80 gig pvr they have on sale at present?

_http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20081208.p.SilverCrestDigitalSatelliteReceiverwith80GBHardDrive

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
tomthebomb1968 said:
Has anyone bought the twin tuner 80 gig pvr they have on sale at present?

_http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20081208.p.SilverCrestDigitalSatelliteReceiverwith80GBHardDrive

Can't see it now cos they've taken it off... :(

But, I'm sure we'll have it here in blighty soon... :D