Linking to another room in the house, what's best?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
ok my satellite system feed currently goes direct through the wall into the receiver in my bedroom.

My brothers bedroom is across the landing and im wondering whats the best way to get a tv feed going into his room.

I've seen these wireless AV port connectors which you can get, i was thinking if i maybe plug one into the receiver and then 1 into my tv and one into his will that work and will they talk to one another?

Also i heard you can get hold of these media centres now which allow you to connect a receiver to it and he will be able to select a different channel (from the same satellite) in his room, is this correct? If so where can i get hold of these media centres?

Another thing i wanted to see about is the lnb output port on the receiver for connecting 2 receivers together, i know another topic has been opened about this but if i do buy another receiver and connect mine to it ill only be able to watch the channel the master is on wont i?

thanks, hope somebody can answer my questions on which is the best way to get my system to work in his bedroom.

p.s. i dont fancy messing on with any components outside which is why i dont want to mess around installing quad lnb's or anything.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
By not getting involved with changing the LNB (a relatively simple job), you are going to end up with an inflexible system, having only limited functionality.

Sounds like you are willing to throw some money at achieving a solution, so why not buy yourself a quad LNB and a second receiver and get the local sat installer to change the LNB and run a second cable, shouldn't cost much.

If you are happy to both watch the same channel and for your brother, then a wireless video sender will do the trick.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
yeah but the thing is when the sat guy came round to set up my motorised system i asked him about if other people want to watch a different channel in a different room and he said you can get hold of a multimedia centre which will allow him to wacth 1 channel why im watching another, i just wondered if anybody has this and will it work?

If i got a switch and plugged my receiver in 1 and bought another receiver and plugged it in the other end will i be allowed to watch different channels on different receivers or will i need 1 of these mutimedia centres?

I've not heard much about these thats all.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you use the loopthrough on your receiver or a splitter with an output to a second receiver, then you would both be able to watch a different channel, but only providing that both channels were on the same band and polarity, most of the time it would not work.

If you have a single tuner receiver, you will only be able to watch one channel at a time, plugging it into a media centre would not change that.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ahhh i see so thats what somebody was on about when they said the dreambox 600-s has a multi tuner inside and the 500-s doesnt.

thanks for the info, so the only way would be to watch what im watching anyways it would seem. and if i connect another receiver from my lnb out or use a splitter to both receivers from the satellite dish the chances of us both picking a channel from a satellite that use exactly the same polarity andand band are very slim you say?

I only really need it for astra 28.8 but when i scanned my channels it scanned about 30 different transponders so i can see where your coming from.

thanks for the info, looks like 1 of these wireless tv links is going to be the best i can do then :/

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well yes, the wireless video sender is an option, but not a great one. Why are you not considering changing the LNB for a quad, as it really is a very simple thing to do.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
because i dont want to get up there and then modify everything and end up messing stuff up, i guess i could do that but it means calling the sat guy out again and him sorting it all out, im not sure how much that will cost but for motor installation where i live it cost me £120 and i don't have that kind of money at the minute.

My brothers bedroom is at the back of the house also and so the cable would have to come all the way round the back, through his wall and it would be a nightmare.

I'll look into it but if thats the only option i can really go for then hes going to have to pay for it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There would be no modification to the dish or motor, you simply need to change the LNB, takes about five minutes.

The cable can be taken into the loft under a tile and then drop into the bedroom via a screwdriver hole in the ceiling.

Dead easy.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok thanks, ill look into it when the analoge gets switched off here in the uk, nice one

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
There would be no modification to the dish or motor, you simply need to change the LNB, takes about five minutes.

The cable can be taken into the loft under a tile and then drop into the bedroom via a screwdriver hole in the ceiling.

Dead easy.
You haven't installed CCTV at my place have you Rolf? :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, might have, might not. ;) :-lmao