petert74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m dish
Panasonic Digibox
My Location
Spain
Hi

Can anyone suggest the best LNB and receiver for southern spain.

Also any specific cabling that should be bought or is the standard used for spanish satellite ok!!!

It goes without saying that Im looking to pick up UK channels on the usual Astra 28/Eurobird transmissions.

Gracias

p

petert74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m dish
Panasonic Digibox
My Location
Spain
Hi

Does any one have any experience of the Televes Quad LNB 7477 in southern spain??

I can get one for €35 but Im not sure if its any good for BBC/ch4 etc??

can anyone reconmend Televes as they seem to be much much cheaper than the next quad alternative which is Invacom at just under €100.

thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe they are OK, but you have not included any information in your profile as to what size dish you have, which make it is and where you actually are in Spain, as these factors will influence which type of LNB is best for you.

petert74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m dish
Panasonic Digibox
My Location
Spain
Apologies we live near gib and have the standard set up for the area (ie) 1.2m dish and a Panasonic box.

I need the quad to stop the arguements on what to watch amounst my growing family.

Sky "experts" charge an arm and leg here in spain hence the questions.

thanks

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I have an invacom quad which works really well especially on horizontal polarity

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
There are varying Lnbs. Alot of the issue is what dish are you using.

However the Invacom works great, but is too expensive in my view, the Televes Quad will work well, as would the following quads - Technomate, MTI and believe it or not the Inverto which is very cheap.

If you are doing this manually take note of the skew( how it is rotated)of your old LNB, as you look at the dish the LNB should be about 7oclock. Try and position your new LNB the same.

Put the digibox signal screen on and peak the signal ( with the help of a nice cold beer) emphasis on quality.

Then put the digibox on Channel 5 and see if the picture is there, if not turn the LNB clockwise and anti clockwise until the picture appears, remembering also to move LNB back and forward in the collar until you optimize the signal, do this mm by mm!!

This should do the trick.PERSEVERE!!

This may take time and fitness.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Main problem with Televés is build quality. I replaced quite a few of these in Madrid which had practically disintegrated with the extremes of heat and UV.
They are only average performers, too. Invacom are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Also better to buy a white LNB, other colours absorb more heat. Televés quad is orange, quattro is grey.

jonno

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.1m dish, Sky digibox
My Location
paphos, cyprus
I just had to have my LNB replaced (Paphos, Cyprus). The symptoms were that BBC and ITV channels were pixelated during the day and early evening although generally later on they seemed to improve. Of course, these are the weakest signals I think. All the Sky channels were fine. The weather was fine. The engineer
replaced the LNB and also checked dish (3.1m) alignment (which was OK). He told me that LNBs generally only last about 2 years in Cyprus as they get fried by the sun! (My dish was installed just over two years ago). Not sure how true that is? Anyway, the whole cost was 200 Euros so I'll be doing it myself in future!
I also took my Sky + box out from the UK to see if it would work and it did, with my
full package card still in it from the UK I could receive all the channels (sports, movies etc.). It complained about no telephone being connected on installation but then carried on OK. After a few days I then got "No satellite signal", but a reboot and rescan and it was all back again. Had to do this again a couple of days later - not sure why? Anyway, am now considering buying a Sky + box on ebay
and installing it out in Cyprus on my next visit - presumably I'll have to buy a viewing card out there so that I won't need to keep rebooting etc? Does anyone know?

Cheers,

jonno

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
Jonno, you need to go into the installer menu and choose 'planner rebuild'. As a Sky+ box is just a computer with a tuner and hard drive, the master directory can become corrupted, and a rebuild is necessary from time to time. This seems to happen more often with receivers used outside of the UK, probably owing to periodic loss of signal.

The comment from your installer was right, LNBs do get fried in hot countries and failure or severe degradation after two years is common. If the LNB is in full sun all year round it is likely to go quicker. UV impact on the plastics can also be a problem. This is yet another reason to use Invacom, as the high temperatures affect cheaper LNBs more.

Prodelin

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Tunisia, Prince Of Persia
My friends Invacom LNB failed miserably in Spain, the quality of Invacom is very bad, the flange is glued to the Invacom and in areas with hot sun all days the glue dries up and the flange will come lose, this seems to be a usual problem reported from other installers as well.

Question is why they glue the flange to the LNB? it was pretty funny as the LNB was hanging in it's cable and the flange still on the feedhorn.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Prodelin said:
My friends Invacom LNB failed miserably in Spain, the quality of Invacom is very bad, the flange is glued to the Invacom and in areas with hot sun all days the glue dries up and the flange will come lose, this seems to be a usual problem reported from other installers as well.

Question is why they glue the flange to the LNB? it was pretty funny as the LNB was hanging in it's cable and the flange still on the feedhorn.

This has never been reported by anyone else. Invacoms can survive more than 40 degree temperatures quite happily.

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
mine works fine in Pakistan, and its rarely below 40C at this time of year, maybe its just the one you purchased or a bad batch ....