LNB skew for Astra 2E/F

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
I just fine tuned my dish a little to improve reception from Astra 2E/F. My target was to get the LNB position right. I am getting a little confused about the optimal skew angle for the new Astra 28.2 E satellites. It seems that I get the most optional reception if I set the skew to about -10 degrees. That is also what is also recommended by some internet sites, other sites claim that the Astra satellites at 28.2 are a special case in terms of polarization. For example Dish pointer claims the skew angle should be about -2.5 degrees for where I live, the polarization of the satellites being "pre-skewed". Is that really true also for the new satellites or was it just the Astra 2D? I dont get 2.5 degrees to work.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Rotate LNB till you get maximum signal. Just check it on both polarisations. Who cares about "pre-skewed" position?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Are you using a spectrum meter?

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
No, I am not that high-tech. I am just using the signal meter in my Philips TV (and a sat finder for other adjustments).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You're right that Astra pre-skew the satellites a bit so any predictor site that doesn't take this into account will be wrong.

Rima is absolutely correct - rotate the LNB for maximum smoke!

BTW, this pre-skewing means that people with steerable dishes will never get the maximum signal as the LNBs will be set for zero pre-skew.

dungeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receptor Comag SL 55, com parabólica rotativa de 1.20 m.
My Location
Portugal
BTW, this pre-skewing means that people with steerable dishes will never get the maximum signal as the LNBs will be set for zero pre-skew.

So, what would be the skew that do you advise for a steerable dish to get the maximum signal. I am in Porto (North of Portugal) and I used to get a pretty good signal for all the frequencies in this satellite position (even for the UK beam), but I had to replace my LNB and now I am not being able to get a stable signal for any of the beams (I get a level of the signal of about 90% but the quality is very unstable (going from 77% to 0%) on those I can get the signal, because on most of them I don't even get any signal...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The range of instability suggest more than a skew problem and could be indicative of a dodgy connection somewhere.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Agree with Tivù that you might have another problem if you are getting swings like that.

With regards to what skew to set an LNB to on a steerable dish - it all depends on what your first priority is. If it's to get maximum signal on 28E then steer to 28E and rotate the LNB a bit for best signal. If it's to see what's on other satellites then set it to zero skew when the dish is at the top of its arc.

But really you should be thinking of a dedicated fixed dish for 28E when you're in a weak signal area. And then a second steerable dish to look at other satellites!

dungeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, ok.

Is your line of sight obstructed in any way?

As for skew, then the best way to deal with this is by experiment.

The Astra 2 craft certainly used to be pre-skewed and to be honest I don't know if this applies to 2E and 2F, but if it does then PaulR's advice is sound, otherwise everything will be a compromise, which is not a good idea fro marginal reception.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looking at your Video, I still think PaulR and I are right to suggest there is another problem: For the most part the fluctuation is normal, but the massive sudden drops are anomalous even for sub-optimal skew.

Is the cable from your LNB to the motor being dragged loose from the connection at the motor end when you pan towards 28E? This can be prevented by strapping the cable to something static (mounting pole etc) close to the motor (Assumes you have an H-H Motor? Photos might help us).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
But I get stable signal on all sats that I get (from 39ºE to 30ºW)... I am only getting this problem on 28.2ºE satellites...
Have you tried to set the skew for 28E when actually pointing at 28E yet?

Unfortunately I cannot view the video as I am work at the moment.

dungeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Looking at your Video, I still think PaulR and I are right to suggest there is another problem: For the most part the fluctuation is normal, but the massive sudden drops are anomalous even for sub-optimal skew.

Is the cable from your LNB to the motor being dragged loose from the connection at the motor end when you pan towards 28E? This can be prevented by strapping the cable to something static (mounting pole etc) close to the motor (Assumes you have an H-H Motor? Photos might help us).

As per an obstruction at the line of sight, there is none - the dish is in a position that does not have that problem whichever the direction it is turned to. All the cables (motor and LNB are not streched in any of the satellite positions as they are fixed to the "ground". The motor is similar to the one attached (is this an H-H motor?).

I will only be able to post some close up pictures and make further tests next weekend. Until then I will have to keep waiting...

Attachments

• 24 heavy duty actuator satellite tv.jpg
    24 heavy duty actuator satellite tv.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 59

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, that's not prone to cables coming loose when panning.

And your line-of-sight is clear.

Doesn't leave us many options!

So, although I still think there is a loose/intermittent connection somewhere, for now I suggest you follow PaulR's repeated advice to adjust the skew with the dish pointing to 28E to see if it can improve the situation.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I used to get a pretty good signal for all the frequencies in this satellite position (even for the UK beam), but I had to replace my LNB and now I am not being able to get a stable signal for any of the beams

Did you replace the LNB with exactly the same type? It is possible you have a faulty replacement, have you another you can swap over for it and see if the fault remains?