Lost in Space in Munich

TonyWhalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibby, Invacom C-120 quad+gibby feedhorn.
1.25 Gibby,Invacom C-120 quattro LNB + Gibby Feedhorn and 80cm 19.2 into Kathrein EXR2908, Sky HD+ , Xtrend ET9200 & ET5000, HDI Dune media players, Panasonic 50 & 42 inch plasma
My Location
Neuburg, Germany
I have recently moved to Munich, have this weekend installed 1Metre dish with Universal LNB (Funwave 0.3D:cool: but my pace /sky 2200 says no satellite signal.

Using a meter I get two big peaks coming from I believe "Astra 1" (the dish below mine picks up Premiere channels) and "Eutelsat" although they are both much further south on my compass than I would expect - the "Eutelsat" is a real big peak. .. and nothing swinging the dish further East.

I would expect the receiver to say that it has a signal even if it was not Sky.

Any ideas - I am a real novice at this as used to the UK and all satellite dishes pointing the same way!! and my ability to read a compass is also weak.

Regards

A real beginner!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you point in the same direction as your downstairs neighbour, then move the dish down a few degrees and left a few degrees, you should find 28.2 East.

TonyWhalley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 Gibby, Invacom C-120 quad+gibby feedhorn.
1.25 Gibby,Invacom C-120 quattro LNB + Gibby Feedhorn and 80cm 19.2 into Kathrein EXR2908, Sky HD+ , Xtrend ET9200 & ET5000, HDI Dune media players, Panasonic 50 & 42 inch plasma
My Location
Neuburg, Germany
Tried that although didn't lower the dish (saw somewhere that the dish should be higher elevation for Astra 2???) meter was constant but Pace 2200 continued to say no signal - the signal for what I believe is Astra 1 is pretty constant whatever the dish elevation and sweep.

The other satellite further south peaks dramaticaly and tails off.

Tony

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, definitely lower in the Sky, for you at longitude 11 degrees East of South, Hotbird will be pretty high, 19.2 East lower and 28.2 East lower still.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I found that getting Astra 19°E first was a good start (sic). Most communal systems, here in Berlin, point to Hotbird 13°E - so I had loads of fun setting-up for the first time, in the hissing rain, on the roof, portable TV in a bag (not recommended) .... :rolleyes:

For the short period I used my 1.20m dish, I did find it problematic to line-up without any kind of guiding kit. The minidish is a marvel - you can happily wave it around like a fly-swat and it will find SKY somehow.O-Ha

My Panasonic (R.I.P.) Digibox always gave a solid display reading for an Astra satellite and a nasty jumpy reading for a Eutelsat satellite: this may help?

Anyhow, tweeking, slowly from 13°E (jumpy) or 19°E (solid) should get you there. I made a mark on the pole mount and found it to be about 3-4millimetres anti-clock from Astra 1: you should be able to get to SKY without any tilting (do that afterwards).

Once you have a 'LOCK' indication with EPG music - you've got it! Maybe you already have :eek:

I thought that Astra 1 was lower than Astra 2 as well??? :confused

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
mljgmljg said:
I thought that Astra 1 was lower than Astra 2 as well??? :confused

Have Fun,

Mark.

The further a satellite is from your due South line, the lower in the Sky it will be.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
the signal for what I believe is Astra 1 is pretty constant whatever the dish elevation and sweep

That bit worried me ( not to much ;) ). How far are you swinging your dish left to right and still getting the same meter reading?

If you are moving it a lot ( 10 degrees is a very lot ) and still seeing the same reading then either your meter is not working or you are seeing background noise and the meter is set too sensitive.

What sort of meter is it?

Neil

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
BonceChops said:
That bit worried me ( not to much ;) ). How far are you swinging your dish left to right and still getting the same meter reading?

If you are moving it a lot ( 10 degrees is a very lot ) and still seeing the same reading then either your meter is not working or you are seeing background noise and the meter is set too sensitive.

What sort of meter is it?

Neil

I might be wrong, but don't you need a 1.2 / 1.3 m dish in Berlin for Astra 28? I sort of remember this from the time I was setting up my dish, some chap mentioned the 1.3 dish.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
A 1M dish should easily pick up a signal from 2A & 2b (C4 and five), I have read reports of people not being able to pick up 2D with a 1.2M dish, 1.8M and above should work.

A bit of topic but shouldn't that be "the Kraut is Sauer" O-Ha

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Who you calling a Kraut?????!!!!