Made a start on my petal extensions ..

Vipersan said:
There are small blisters and creases ...and you know me ...I like perfect :D

Looks fine (for C band ) ;)
 
Channel Hopper said:
Looks fine (for C band ) ;)

Thanks CH ...praise indeed ..
No sarcasm intended ...but you rarely post an opinion about such projects..
So I'm taking it as a good sign.
Cheers buddy..
VS
 
I'm also considering a second layer consisting of aluminium paint ..assuming it exists (I think it does) and can be bought over the counter.
This too will be laminated over with resin..and provide a primary reflective surface ...with the added bonus of a slightly smoother finish.
Comments welcomed..
VS
 
Yes a half litre tin of reflective aluminium paint as used on a felt roof would be the stuff however, I have only ever seen 5 ltr tins

-http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/roofing-accessories/compounds-solutions/aquaseal-solar-reflective-5-ltr.html
 
Topper said:
Yes a half litre tin of reflective aluminium paint as used on a felt roof would be the stuff however, I have only ever seen 5 ltr tins

-http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/roofing-accessories/compounds-solutions/aquaseal-solar-reflective-5-ltr.html


small tins readily available -- do a Google search for Blackfriars aluminium paint 500ml --

cheers --
 
Topper said:
Yes a half litre tin of reflective aluminium paint as used on a felt roof would be the stuff however, I have only ever seen 5 ltr tins

-http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/roofing-accessories/compounds-solutions/aquaseal-solar-reflective-5-ltr.html


Nice ...just what I need ..though perhaps only a couple of 1 litre tins ...

They must sell in smaller quantities..
Off to peruse ebay now ..
cheers
VS
 
Modern SMC dishes have sprayed alu/zink and then coated with thin gelcoat.
 
Vipersan said:
Thanks CH ...praise indeed ..
No sarcasm intended ...but you rarely post an opinion about such projects..

I've never built extender panels before, so this is unchartered territory.

Mind you, I've straightened out a number of dishes after they've been damaged, using little more than a cheap meter and teatowel to find/improve the deaf spots, so my panel beating experience isn't to be sniffed at.
 
...Not getting too excited yet ...but couldn't resist a quick test of ...something ....anything...??

So attached a second laminated panel ...still tacky ..but I'm impatient...
Went and took a look at Band TV international on 58W..
Normally tricky to lock and very much time of day dependant ..
Err ..it locked easily ..at about 1db more than I usually get ...
nothing aligned ..just hung the second panel roughly and turned on the F15..
absolute solid lock after moving the dish slightly eastward and tweaking the elevation a tad..
:D
it may just be fluke ...but very cloudy cold and wet here atm ..and the dish surface is very wet from the showers..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0067.webp
    DSCF0067.webp
    107.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0068.webp
    DSCF0068.webp
    111.8 KB · Views: 74
The fellow in pic 2 looks almost as surprised as you seem to be!
 
Here's a guide how to work with fiberglass, might be useful, found it on satforum from India.

And another Alcoa 2.4m...
 

Attachments

  • Satellite-Dish-Mould.webp
    Satellite-Dish-Mould.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 66
Ok ...
popped in the T plate and went a circular hunting with just the 2 wings attached...
Like Pride ...I managed Both GhanaTV(TV Africa) solid lock ..and Viasat 1 intermittent lock ..
Both these channels on NSS7 22W ...C band ...
_never_ had these 2 channels before ..
So I must conclude that there is room for improvement once all wings are attached and optimised.
:D
Cheesy grin atm.

appologies for the out of focus images ..
..its what comes from using the camera single handed ..whilst trying to use the F15 remote at the same time
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0073.webp
    DSCF0073.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0072.webp
    DSCF0072.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0071.webp
    DSCF0071.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0070.webp
    DSCF0070.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0069.webp
    DSCF0069.webp
    58 KB · Views: 44
Also ...just managed to lock both transponders on Express A4 14W inclined russian bird ..
Only managed 1 transponder in the past ..
I now have both 3625 & 3825 R

I'm guessing the larger capture are of the T plate is assisting ...since it does not require such accurate focus with this in the LNB throat..
..effectively increases capture area ..so anything in the signal 'cloud' above the lnb throat is funneled..
Just a theory ..
rgds
VS
 
Can you get 63W?
Your next project would be to make a mould for a 4 meter dish and make a dish out of it, that would be great to follow.
 

Attachments

  • 10968H.webp
    10968H.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 45
lanab said:
Can you get 63W?
Your next project would be to make a mould for a 4 meter dish and make a dish out of it, that would be great to follow.

I think you may not be familliar with Planning in the UK ?
They would certainly throw a wobbly if I tried to install a 4 mtr dish ..
I'm pushing the limit as is ...and I'd have to knock my kitchen wall down to swing it west..lol..
As to your other question ..
No ...the alcoa is for C band only ..and I doubt the wings would make any difference in ku ..
..precision being more important at those frequencies.
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
I think you may not be familliar with Planning in the UK ?
They would certainly throw a wobbly if I tried to install a 4 mtr dish ..
I'm pushing the limit as is ...and I'd have to know my kitched wall down to swing it west..lol..
As to your other question ..
No ...the alco is for C band only ..and I doubt the wings would make any difference in ku ..
..precision being more important at those frequencies.
rgds
VS

You can get around it by mounting the dish on a trailer, they can't do shit as it's not permanent installation, saw somebody here on the forum that put an old BT 3.7m dish on a trailer, authorities could not forbid him.

Ah found the pic.

Says on the site:

example of a large 3.8 metre diameter specialist dish trailer mounted (no planning permission required)
 

Attachments

  • dish4.webp
    dish4.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 116
So have you been on the Forum previously?

Do you have a link to the episode you mention?
 
lanab said:
You can get around it by mounting the dish on a trailer, they can't do shit as it's not permanent installation, saw somebody here on the forum that put an old BT 3.7m dish on a trailer, authorities could not forbid him.

Ah found the pic.
Thats certainly a thing of beauty ...but where to park the trailer ...lol..
..
 
Tivù said:
So have you been on the Forum previously?

Do you have a link to the episode you mention?

I saw somebody on the forum, but not true as it was a website


_http://www.danby.co.uk/page9.html


[warning]Live Link disabled - these are not permitted[/warning]
 
lanab said:
You can get around it by mounting the dish on a trailer,
In a similar vein, I have a friend who mounted his 60ft pump-up mast (for amateur radio use) in his back garden on a trailer. He's had it there for years.
 
Back
Top