Made a start on my petal extensions ..

Topper said:
It is educational too, I have to say I am surprised by the latex idea however it it works then why not, I would have thought there was too much suction created by such a perfect sealant

I suspect the latex would be a problem if used on a porous surface ..but since the resin cannot penetrate ..the fibreglass/resin comes away clean ..
A certain amount of 'peeling' is required ..but the fibreglass mould sheet/mould..once solidified allows for a small amount of flexibility ...so surprisingly ..it works and is quite effective.
That which adhered to the dish surface can simply be 'balled' up with the palm of the hand and removed.
It makes me wonder if this same idea could be used to produce a waterproof skin for a dish surface ..
as it certainly behaves as though it would.
rgds
VS
 
..Ok ..
been at this job since 8 AM real time ...not adjusted the clock yet..
Figured you'd like an update ..
Time for a much needed tea break ..so here arte some pics ..
Added some structure support ...then added internal flange ..
allowed to harden ..
Cleaned up a few rough edges ...then drilled and bolted to Christina ..
You can see its already self supporting ..and yet to add edge flanges and correct the outer circuferance which will be wrong of course...
Remember this is the mould ..inverted ...not a finished extension wing ..which buy my calculations should be approx 8 inches wide ...each wing..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0057.webp
    DSCF0057.webp
    172 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0058.webp
    DSCF0058.webp
    149.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0059.webp
    DSCF0059.webp
    180.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0060.webp
    DSCF0060.webp
    123.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0061.webp
    DSCF0061.webp
    154.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0062.webp
    DSCF0062.webp
    182.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0063.webp
    DSCF0063.webp
    121.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0064.webp
    DSCF0064.webp
    118 KB · Views: 105
Magnificent - what more can one say?
 
Tivù said:
Magnificent - what more can one say?


Not a lot more to say before running out of words to express one's amazement
 
Only a couple of photos to add this morning ..
Sadly ..the demon work gets in the way ..
Need to go earn a crust shortly.
Taking shape nicely ..side flanges formed out of wood and covered with roving cloth added ..and now curing in the sun ..
The black line you might be able to make out is the _true_ exterior circumference curve ..which needs to be made up before the mould is finaly completed ..and polished up.
I have to restrict this to 8 inches ..or I run the risk of hitting my house rear wall at extreme west.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0070.webp
    DSCF0070.webp
    136.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0069.webp
    DSCF0069.webp
    103.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0068.webp
    DSCF0068.webp
    157.7 KB · Views: 85
Once the panels are finished.

what size will the dish be 2metre or more ?
 
wod said:
Once the panels are finished.

what size will the dish be 2metre or more ?

I'll let the experts calculate that one Wod ..
I can tell you is that the overall diameter should be 2 mtrs plus...
Of course there will be inefficiencies ..as the match wont be perfect ...but in Cband these are less critical..
How efficient remains to be seen ..
It may well be a total flop ..but if ya don't try ...ya never know.
;)
rgds
VS
 
hi -vipersan -
all looking good -- :)
a great deal of hours/work going into this project -- :-worship
i,v worked with fibreglass resin and pastes quite a bit in the past and its slow - messy work -
do the fumes from the resin not bother you ?
i need to wear a respirator - when working with it - or i feel quite ill afterwards
you deserve - big success from this :)

regards nelson.b.
 
nelson_b said:
hi -vipersan -
all looking good -- :)
a great deal of hours/work going into this project -- :-worship
i,v worked with fibreglass resin and pastes quite a bit in the past and its slow - messy work -
do the fumes from the resin not bother you ?
i need to wear a respirator - when working with it - or i feel quite ill afterwards
you deserve - big success from this :)

regards nelson.b.

..I have to say Nelson ..
Not too bad on the fumes ..which are as you say quite plentiful.
Too much exposure gives me a headache ..but luckily I'm working outside so the effects are minimised.
Just glad I'm not in a confined space
;)
Tomorrow I shall try to figure out a way to _fill_ the unwanted part of the mould with my latest daft idea ...expanding foam...to bake a solid bar over which to lay some roving fibreglass cloth ..
This will hopefully leave me with just the area I need for the 8 inch wide wing.
I'll sleep on it and hope I wake up with a solution.
rgds
VS
 
Are you putting metal mesh into the fibreglass ?

as my 1metre I repaired it seemed the mesh was just under a fine layer of fibreglass.
 
wod said:
Are you putting metal mesh into the fibreglass ?

as my 1metre I repaired it seemed the mesh was just under a fine layer of fibreglass.

Still undecided on that one Wod ..
I'm definately going to cover the final relecting surface with aluminium foil ..and cover that with resin ..
Should produce a nice flat surface ..
Not sur about embedding the aluminium mesh ..as its a bit unruly ..and difficult to get it to lie flat ..
We shall see ..
Aluminium foil in a resin /fibre glass sandwich should be more than adequate I think ..but that remains to be seen ..

As to creating that 'corrected' exterior circumferance ..
just before I dropped off to sleep ..it came to me ..
this morning shaped a block of polystyrene ..
Covered in duct tape ..
painted with latex ..
..stuck with latex to the dish surface ..but following part of the desired curve ...
blocked off the ends to stop leakage ...and backfilled with expanding foam.
Still dont know if this will do the job ..as the foam hasn't hardened yet ..
If it works ..the polystyrene block will simply be moved around the curve ..and repeated ..
Hopefully to create a solid wall ..which when shaped will be covered with roving cloth and resin..
..at least its a day off ..fibre glass and resin..
lol
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0071.webp
    DSCF0071.webp
    167.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0072.webp
    DSCF0072.webp
    212.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0073.webp
    DSCF0073.webp
    181 KB · Views: 77
Vipersan said:
Not sur about embedding the aluminium mesh ..as its a bit unruly ..and difficult to get it to lie flat ..

Back in the days when I had to fill in holes on my Mini bodywork, you used to be able to buy very flexible and easy to cut mesh to form a backing for the body filler. Not sure if it's still available or indeed would be suitable
 
Hi Pete ..
The irony is ..
..I already have some ally mesh ..
Its easy cut with a pair of scissors ...and can be shaped ..
I have approx 15 mtrs of it ..by 9 inches ..
But ..it does have a proclivity to retain its curved aspect ..
As to the possibility of persuading it to follow a parabolic curve segment ...
..anyones guess..
;)
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0075.webp
    DSCF0075.webp
    336.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0074.webp
    DSCF0074.webp
    226 KB · Views: 68
Vipersan said:
But ..it does have a proclivity to retain its curved aspect ..
As to the possibility of persuading it to follow a parabolic curve segment ...

Can you not lay it on the Alcoa and roll it into the curve you want? Maybe using one of those wallpaper joint rollers?
 
Good morning friends ..
The sun is still shining today ..but may be the last day for us in Manchester...according to the Beeb weather..
Luckilly ..I've almost finished the mould structure ..
Backfilled foam wall to correct the outer circumferance has set overnight..
shaped this morning with an old breadknife ..and gived a quick coat of resin ..
Now curing in the sun ..
Might well get this 'wall' wrapped in roving cloth before I start work in my shop ..
I can see the end in sight now for the mould ..
Then after a short break ..will start the actual extension wings.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0001.webp
    DSCF0001.webp
    136.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0002.webp
    DSCF0002.webp
    224.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0003.webp
    DSCF0003.webp
    129.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0004.webp
    DSCF0004.webp
    177 KB · Views: 79
If I knew you were going to that extent VS, I would have sent you one of the panels from the (partial) 3m dish I have here to copy.

How are you coping with the fumes ?
 
Channel Hopper said:
If I knew you were going to that extent VS, I would have sent you one of the panels from the (partial) 3m dish I have here to copy.

How are you coping with the fumes ?

_now_ you tell me CH ...aaarrrrrrrggghhhhhh..
;)

Montafon actually offered the exact same thing ..in fact ...all the extension petals ..
And they were the actual alcoa ones ..
Problem ...they are in Austria..
doh!

If this doesn't work ..I may well take you up on that offer..
:)

The fumes are are problem ..but working outside makes it less so ...
I still get some exposure ..and it does give me headaches if I get too much ..
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
_now_ you tell me CH ...aaarrrrrrrggghhhhhh..
;)

Ah, no. The reflector panel(s) I have here are not for an Alcoa, but are the Tripoint Global eight piece unit. The backplate system would however be of similar build weight to yours as the original was not supplied with a polarmount system.

If I had the time I would be fabricating additional panels here (with slight modification to make them better than the originals).
 
Just one snap today....featuring ..the almost finished mould ..
..and a guest silhouette by its creator...
Noticed after I'd taken it I cast a bit of a shadow
;)
Some filling ,sanding and smoothing ...and close check for negative angles...still to come ..once the mould has sat another day in the sun.
but its more of less ..good to go..
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0007.webp
    DSCF0007.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 95
Vipersan said:
Just one snap today....featuring ..the almost finished mould ..
..and a guest silhouette by its creator...

.....and a handy mug of tea....
 
Back
Top