Magic Module connection problems

naffats

Reaction score
Is there anyone being kind enough to help me solve a problem concerning the communication between the computer and the Magic Module programming device. When trying to establish a connection I simply always get the information window "Unable to connect to module". I recently bought a Magic Module programmed with Pentacrypt 1.11. It seemed to work just fine, but trying to watch Conax channels gave me picture for about 5 sec and then "coded signal" for about 10 sec. This went on continuously, my card was newly updated, so I thought that I had to load the module with the latest Pentacrypt 1.11. I put the MM into Dreamload mode from the menu of the receiver (Humax 5350) and there it stays….

My programmer (green PC:cool: lights the green LED (power), after about 2 seconds the red LED lights for about half a second and about 2 seconds after that the green LED goes off for about half a second. After that the green LED remains lit. The behaviour very much resembles one described at a discussion forum on the Internet. There the solution was to change the programmer. I purchased a new one (yellow/green PC:cool:, but this one didn’t even light the green LED, since it wasn’t supplied with +5V. I thought there might be a power shutdown circuit inside the MM in case of a short in the smartcard. To prove a possible short or excessive power consumption inside the programmer, I supplied the two programmers in turn with an external +5V. This experiment showed that the first programmer drew 12,6 mA, while the latter drew 13 mA. No obvious problem there.

I also observed that the ±10V, supposed to be generated by the communication circuit (the big circuit), were nowhere near, so I moved/exchanged one of the capacitors to match the datasheet for the circuit. The +10V was OK after that, while the –10V seemed to become unstable. One moment it was –3V and the next –9V. I plan further experiments in this field.

Might there be anyone having had the same problem, I look forward to a discussion in the matter.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
My MM works fine naffats, I put it into dreamload via the Echostar receiver, plug in the programmer, switch to COM2 ( as thats the serial port it's linked to), click on connect and the 1.11 (connax) file. That's it. I can't get kiosk channels on 1W but ok with Canal Dig which is what I want.

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
@naffats

Have you checked the obvious things - type of cable you are using (this should be standard RS232), OS in your computer (98SE preferred), correct COM port setting, finally is your receiver connected to the LNB and is it tuned into the encrypted channel?

naffats

Reaction score
jimbo said:
My MM works fine naffats, I put it into dreamload via the Echostar receiver, plug in the programmer, switch to COM2 ( as thats the serial port it's linked to), click on connect and the 1.11 (connax) file. That's it. I can't get kiosk channels on 1W but ok with Canal Dig which is what I want.
Hi jimbo,
I also put it into Dreamload with the receiver, which is also indicated in the menu. In addition, I also put the module in and out for three times. I tried COM2 also with an adapter 25/9 pole D-sub. In the software, you have the choise to choose either COM-port. Do you think it matters which you choose?

Thanks for your advise
naffats

naffats

Reaction score
Nickolai said:
@naffats

Have you checked the obvious things - type of cable you are using (this should be standard RS232), OS in your computer (98SE preferred), correct COM port setting, finally is your receiver connected to the LNB and is it tuned into the encrypted channel?
Hi Nickolai,
Before I tried to program the device, I checked that I had a straight 9-pole cable like I was told through studying the Internet. Actually, a 3-pole cable would do just as well as far as it incorporates pin 2, 3 and 5. The OS is Windows 98SE. I found the information on the COM-port settings. The only thing to change was the baudrate (to 115Kbaud). I observed initially that the receiver didn't recognize the CAM:s, unless you had the LNB connected and a relevant program choosen. Personally, I expect the programmers internal generation of +/-10V to be responsible. I found it faulty in a way. I will do some further experiments and let you know the outcome. For me it is obvious that the red LED is only lit by the computer itself (it is connected via an inverter/levelshifter directly to Txd). If I don't have those voltages required, the signal might be falsely interpreted.

Thank you Nickolai
naffats

network75

Reaction score
Naffats

Just been looking at your last two threads and have a couple of observations.

Has anyone confirmed that they have successfully used a MM cam with a Humax 5350? It seems you are technically competent and you've covered more permutations than I did when loading my MM cam with software.

The other comment is that whilst I'm a newbie to digital I cut my teeth with analogue and D2 mac and recall that there was an awful lot of bu**s*it out there in those days. If you study the forums there are very few people out there that can actually say they are seeing these chanels with X equipment and Y programs.

The question I have for you is that you say your card was 'newly updated', what card is that?

For your info, I loaded my MM with Penta 1.1 using W 2000 with absolutely no problems. Forget about baud rates etc etc. if your receiver is compatible it flies in.

Looking forward to your comments

Steve

naffats

Reaction score
network75 said:
Naffats

Just been looking at your last two threads and have a couple of observations.

Has anyone confirmed that they have successfully used a MM cam with a Humax 5350? It seems you are technically competent and you've covered more permutations than I did when loading my MM cam with software.

The other comment is that whilst I'm a newbie to digital I cut my teeth with analogue and D2 mac and recall that there was an awful lot of bu**s*it out there in those days. If you study the forums there are very few people out there that can actually say they are seeing these chanels with X equipment and Y programs.

The question I have for you is that you say your card was 'newly updated', what card is that?

For your info, I loaded my MM with Penta 1.1 using W 2000 with absolutely no problems. Forget about baud rates etc etc. if your receiver is compatible it flies in.

Looking forward to your comments

Steve
Hello Steve,
I bought the MM recently. Then it was already programmed with Pentacrypt 1.11. As far as I could judge, it worked fine in my receiver and even my old "shitty" Nokia receiver had a bit of understanding for the MM. Only the conax channels were visible only for about 10 seconds at a time. For conax I have a Basiccard and for the rest Funcard 6in1. I have made further experiments tonight. Now I have +10 V and -8,6 V, but still it isn't working. I'm beginning to suspect that the Dreamload program doesn't have the faintest idea on where to communicate. If you send a request to communicate from the computer that has to be through Txd of COM1 (2). This signal controls the red LED and you should see some activity at this LED. It is currently at -10V, causing the output inside the programmer to be +5 V. To light the LED, this signal has to be low 0 V and thus, the Txd to swing to +10 V.
The other programmer is even more "magic" since it doesn't even become the needed +5 V supply. I plan to force it to be fed with +5 V. If the MM must feel that it supplies something, I can arrange for about 10 mA to be drawn by a resistor. Then I feed the programmer myself with +5 V, without the MM knowing about it :D.

per73

Reaction score
I'm a newbie with this but I wanted to tell you that I'm having the same problem that the picture is gone for approx. eight sec. and then reappears for eight sec and so on. I'm having MM ver 1.04, with penta 1.11, an original Conax "Canal Digital Sweden" card and Humax VACI 5350 reciever. I also had the same problem with programming the module, so I made myself a cabel where I used all nine pins straight and then it worked. I would appreciate if you would keep me informed if you find the problem because it's driving me nuts that I can not use my new MM.

steve74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 5000adpci , motorised, trex cam , magic cam, variouse - os xp, linux,solaris10
My Location
LANCS
I've had a similar problem with 'unable to connect ' message with my technomate reciever in dream mode.I found it was due to the reciever being unable to load new code & attempt to process a sat signal @ the same time . It works ok if I move the dish away from a signal .If you havn't got a motorised system then un plug your LNB whilst uploading your cam .Hope this is of help.