Manhattan editor d/l problem

enmac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhatten starlight5800, motorized 80cm dish viewing 0.8W - 36E.
My Location
east midlands
Hi all, just discovered your forum - wish I'd found this years ago!
I've been running a Manhatten Starlight hooked up to a motorized dish for a couple of years now. The main problem I've had with this machine is keeping the transponder lists up to date. Last update from Manhatten was back in 2003.
Anyway, just checked their website and discovered they've released an STB editor for the Starlight models. To cut a long story short, I can't get my STB to download into my PC. The connection is recognized, I sometimes get as far as 1% downloaded (c001 on STB LCD) then FAIL!
Is there a particular procedure for a reliable connection or is this software flawed? Are there any other editing options for the Starlights or should I think about upgrading to a machine capable of blind search?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
enmac :-Welcome1 to the forum.

Well obviously the latter option is the best course if you have the dosh to throw at it.
Try using the powerful search facility many people forget but I just searched for starlight editor and one of the threads shows that you are not alone, click here
and click here for the other posts the bottom post may provide a workaround. Good luck

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi enmac.

Just to be clear, you have downloaded the editor program from the Manhattan site, installed it on your PC from the exe file and then connected your STB with a null modem cable? Then carried out the rest of the instructions? Whereabouts in this procedure does it fail?

enmac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
east midlands
Yep, done all of the above. When I try to download from the STB to PC, I name the image file, click OK - then sometimes I get 1% progress before 'FAIL', sometimes not even that. I've tried every permutation of powering off/on of the STB. I usually get the 1% d/l when starting with power off, then switching on when prompted. The editor recognizes that I've powered up and the STB goes into a d/l mode? - 'C000'/'C001', displayed - then 'FAIL'!I've emailed Manhattan, I await their reply - if any!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
What lead are you connecting the PC and STB with enmac?

enmac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
east midlands
jimbo said:
What lead are you connecting the PC and STB with enmac?
RS232 null modem cable. I know this works OK as I recently re-uploaded the latest version of the STB software - uploader also works (obviously).
Anyway, been checking fleabay out, STB prices have REALLY dropped! May give up on the Manhattan in favour of somthing with a bit more aftersales backup and preferably blind search capabilies.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Well, scratching my head over this one. Agree about Manhattan support.

Technomate TM1500 is popular. Flashable cam, blind search too.

alanzfq

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m, 90cm 60cm, positioners. Ex BSB + Elliptical LNB.
Manhattan Skylite 1000, Echostar 3001ip, Pace 2200, PC card.
AMD XP2000 etc.
Slow cable connection.
My Location
Cowes IW UK
Had this problem with Manhattan Skyline, had to reset receiver.
Obviously all customised settings are lost, but I had a previous backup.

The "new" STBEditor looks identical to what has been available for years. I never found the editing to be much better than at the receiver, but at least it backs up settings, (if you don't have the problem!)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Manhattan Starlight 9600 (just a positioner fpr my TD), INVACOM LNB, MABO 1,85m, dish viewing 95E - 45W
My Location
Northern Greece
I have a starlight 6900 and had the same problems. I managed to download from STB to PC only once. The very first time I installed the software!

Since then I type into this file the changes and download the file to STB (this I can always do).

I now try to download satcoDX.SDX files and work this image.

Blind search is not the solution, especially if you have a motorized dish. It will take ages to scan Hotbird (I have heard 45 minutes)

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000IP VIA, Skystar2 PCI c/w ProgDVB 4.85, Pace & Onn Terrestrial PVR's
My Location
North West
Realise this thread is a bit on the old side now, but I too am having problems with STB Editor V1.03 off the Manhattan website- I can download the file from the box using the STB>PC button..I can fire it back using PC>STB button, but when I try to open the downloaded file in the editor, it goes through 4 checks then comes up with 'Application Halt' and doesn't open the file for editing (It does seem to load one channel into the list though).

Anyone else had this issue? It's a great shame because I do like the receiver, but the way Manhattan have dropped support for it will put me off going for their receivers in the future. I mean-how hard would it be for them to offer the current software with updated transponder/satellite lists once every 6 months or so? Just downright lazy