Missing channels on analogue

adrian29uk

Reaction score
My analogue satellite reciever was working fine until a month ago, then suddenly I lost the following channels 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 etc.. etc... (Every 2nd channel) Strange I know

Eurosport happens to be on channel 4 which I cannot get any more. No matter what I try I just cannot pick up any second channel. I must have moved the dish a million times now.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Please can someone help, I cannot live without my Eurosport and because I am a tight wad I do not want to pay for this on Sky Digital when the rest of europe still get it free.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Adrian

What reciver do you have?

Regards

W. Hole

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
OK put your dish back into the place where you are at least getting some channels. The satellites are all co-located so if you are getting *some* of the channels you are actually getting ALL of them - you have an equipment fault somewhere which is removing half your input.

For starters, print out this page:

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/astra1_19e.html

and cross out all the stations you still get. See if there is an obvious pattern - you may find you have lost all the vertical signals as Eurosport is a V channel

adrian29uk

Reaction score
Yes by the looks of things I have lost all vertical signals. Do you think it could be the LNB that has packed up, I tell you why, because every so often Eurosport would just suddenly dissapear of the screen totally and every other second channel would do too. Go back later and it would be back, start watching again and it would dissapear.

I am using an old Amstrad SRD400 reciever with an old 60cm dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Either the LNB has gone south, or the receiver has packed up. If you have a multimeter, put it across the lnb screw terminal of the receiver, and switch the polarity. You should get about 13v on one and 18v on the other. If its switching, then the lnb is dead.

I think the srd 400 needs a 10GHz LNB, you might struggle to get a new one these days as most sold are universal (9.75 GHz / 10.6 GHz). You might be better off getting a universal and a replacement receiver...

adrian29uk

Reaction score
Do you know where I can purchase one of these universal lnbs from? I will try a new lnb first, I reckon its that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Check your pm service.

A universal lnb wont work properly with that old receiver - you wont get anything above MTV Pop, so you will lose
Sonnenklar TV
ARD 1
DSF
Tele 5
NDR Fernsehen Mecklenburg Vorpommern
MTV Germany
CNN International
N TV
RBB Brandenburg
Astra test card

I was testing one last week to see what happened. Oh - and you will have to retune all the channels. Its all to do with the different frequencies used internally within the LNB these days....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The SRD400 was notorious for losing vertical polarity channels when the capacitors in the PSU dried up. The voltage to the LNB could not drop below 15v - et voila, - only horizontal.

There are two adjuster potentiometers in the receiver which may allow LNB voltage settings, but I really am surprised its lasted this length of time