more free channels

pjackma1

Reaction score
i have heard that it is possible to get more channels on my sky dig receiver does anyone know how to do this
p.s any help would be great

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
First, welcome to the board :)

You can 'get' more channels (at 28.2°E), but, your choice is limited both at 28.2°E (SKY) and because you have a Digibox.

Check here and see what's new to you :) Lyngsat

Otherwise its a fiddly-faff and you must be able to move your dish to other satellites. Knowledge of dish positioning is a must; else you might get into a big heap of trouble (scratch a mark/draw an idellible line on the pole thing and dish bracket so you know where you started).

The first place to head is Astra 19°E (about 5mins clockwise) and then, later, Hotbird at 13°E. With a standard dish you'll get most of their offerings. When you get there, most will be (sic) foreign channels.

Finally, you will be limited to symbol rates of 27.5Mbaud and 22Mbaud - H or V and you'll have to input them manually (and tediously) into your digibox (ADD CHANNELS menu). When you are positioning the dish you should be watching for the signal in the SERVICES > SYSTEM > SIGNAL TEST menu.

Use the above site to check-out available frequencies.

Have Fun and hope it helps,

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
By the way do not try to add more than 40 channels (there is a top limit of 50) as the receiver will erase them all after a short period of time

pgleeson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Poland
Check here and see what's new to you :) Lyngsat
==================
mljgmljg,
Your link lists various BBCi channels under astra 2b south...great link, thanks. Does this mean that even though the normal bbc channels are broadcast via astra 2d (and I'm unfortunately in the 3m dish plus footprint, but can't fit such a dish on my balcony...) these are on 2b sth, and so with my normal sky digibox I can pick them up with a little fiddling through the services menu ?

Cheers

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unfortunately not, almost all of those ‘channels’ are just the interactive content which can’t be viewed unless you can also receive the 2D channels.

The only BBC channels on south beams now are BBC Parliament and radio 2 & 4.