Motor won't move from STB

tomslick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM9100super X3
90cm Motorised Dish
My Location
Cork, Ireland
My motor is a Fortec Star and was running fine earlier. Tried reseting motor and stb, reflashing etc and still I have this problem. Limits have been turned off. Moving the dish via motor setup still has the same problem.

The motor LED is green and when a command is sent the orange/red LED flashes and clicking can be heard. Motor can be moved by using the LOCAL manual buttons.

Just connected the motor to another box upstairs and the problem is still there!
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

kerrywez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025, Dreambox 500s, Technomate 6900 Super, Foxsat HD Freesat, 90Cm and 1.2 CM
My Location
Co. Kerry, Ireland
Hi by the sounds of it you need a new motor, I don't like the clicking sound you say you hear, sounds to me that your motor is done, hope I am wrong.

Good luck with it, a new motor is not that dear anyway, which is the only good bit about it.

Regards Wez

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
How did you rest the motor?

Some motors have a reset procedure that is detailed in the manual. It may involve switching the receiver off and holding buttons on the motor down, then switching it back on again. Read the manual for the motor.

tomslick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM9100super X3
90cm Motorised Dish
My Location
Cork, Ireland
Thanks for the replys. I have reset the motor like robbo said (as per manual) and still no joy. I'm going to try tomorrow weather permitting with a short cable to the motor to see if the volt drop is too great.
Don't know if this'll do. As someone said in another post "things never go wrong on a sunny and warm Saturday"

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
tomslick said:
Thanks for the replys. I have reset the motor like robbo said (as per manual) and still no joy. I'm going to try tomorrow weather permitting with a short cable to the motor to see if the volt drop is too great.
Don't know if this'll do. As someone said in another post "things never go wrong on a sunny and warm Saturday"

I have a Fortec Turner as a spare (It was CHEAP!!) and it did much the same until I shortened the cable and tightened the connection at the motor end. Works fine to this day.

Depending upon exactly which Motor you have, another common reset procedure is to insert a stout pin (unbent paper clip is just right) into a small hole under the motor body.

The trouble comes in identifying beyond doubt which hole, as there are condensation drains there too.

tomslick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM9100super X3
90cm Motorised Dish
My Location
Cork, Ireland
Thanks mate. I'll try your suggestions.

tomslick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM9100super X3
90cm Motorised Dish
My Location
Cork, Ireland
Problem solved
Checked voltage at motor to stb connection and was showing 18.91v @ H & 13.54v @ V. Motor moved at Local buttons. Installed short lead from stb to motor with same voltage results and it drove from STB. Checked the termination of the long/original lead to find it water tight BUT many many strands of the outer cores broken. The wind must have moved the lead side to side to break these cores. Retermination of the long lead with new plug and good wind protection and the system is running perfect again.
The outer cores must have been able to supply current to the motor for local operation but not Motor Drive Signal and Currrent.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and maybe this experience may help someone else.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
tomslick said:
Problem solved
Checked voltage at motor to stb connection and was showing 18.91v @ H & 13.54v @ V. Motor moved at Local buttons. Installed short lead from stb to motor with same voltage results and it drove from STB. Checked the termination of the long/original lead to find it water tight BUT many many strands of the outer cores broken. The wind must have moved the lead side to side to break these cores. Retermination of the long lead with new plug and good wind protection and the system is running perfect again.
The outer cores must have been able to supply current to the motor for local operation but not Motor Drive Signal and Currrent.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and maybe this experience may help someone else.

So that is akin to my own report of re-securing the F connector, which implies that the current source/sink relationship is critical.

Glad you are burning (!) and turning :)

Interestingly, the Fortec Turner is an out-and-out Moteck clone, and I've not come across similar problems reported with either Moteck or Technomate (another clone - sort of).