mount problems

pant

Reaction score
Hei

I have just follow the guide at Dreambox Net Australia to mount my pc's hdd.Everything went well and I tryied to download the weather forecast plugin.The files came to the plugin folder on my pc (e:/dreambox/hdd/plugins) but when I checked the addon manager then the /var used was 91 presenet full.My question is since the files comes to my pc now why the var gets full?

Thank you

Sorry forgot to say : dreambox 5620 Hydra_Zeus

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
pant said:
(e:/dreambox/hdd/plugins) but when I checked the addon manager then the /var used was 91 presenet full.My question is since the files comes to my pc now why the var gets full?

May be wrong, but the hdd/plugins folder is on the PC but have you moved the /var folder - sounds like it's still on the box.

Check you've moved it.

pant

Reaction score
Gameboy

Here is the last part about moving the plugins to the hard disk.

1.Telnet into the dreambox
2.Go to your mount directory.
cd /mnt

3.If you have created the mount successfully you should see the contents of the mounted pc directory. Here I see the hdd directory that I created when I setup my nfs server. (Setup NFS-step 3: see above).
4.Create a new plugins directory.
mkdir /mnt/hdd/plugins

5.Copy the contents of the plugins directory to the new mounted plugins directory
cp /var/tuxbox/plugins/* /mnt/hdd/plugins

6.Verify the contents have copied correctly
7.Delete the old plugins diectory
rm -r /var/tuxbox/plugins

8.Navigate to the directory from where the old plugins directory was removed
cd /var/tuxbox

9.Create a symlink to the new plugins directory
ln -sf /mnt/hdd/plugins

Test a plugin.
The author is DreamBox Net Australia

It doesnt describes how to move var folder to the the pc.
Do I am following wrong guide?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
pant said:
It doesnt describes how to move var folder to the the pc.

As it's the /var folder that is filling up you'll have work out a way of moving it to the HDD.

If you can move the plugins folder could you not modify the above and try and move the /var folder?

Backup your setting before you try this...

I have a 7000s so I am not full up to speed on the 5000 series but other members here have them.

pant

Reaction score
Gameboy, thank you for your help!

Dont you think that moving the var folder into the pc will make the Dreambox unavaible when the pc is turned off?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sounds a distinct possibility!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
pant said:
Dont you think that moving the var folder into the pc will make the Dreambox unavaible when the pc is turned off?

Yes - then that's the issue with the 5000 series the 7000 has the option of a HDD but then it is a lot more expensive.

Is it a problem having the PC running?

pant

Reaction score
Not for me I can have it run all day but my girlfriend has ;-)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
pant said:
but my girlfriend has ;-)

I know the problem...

I turned the LCD down so it looks like it's not on - on my 7000...

P.S. A girlfriend is better than a DreamBox - IMHO

pant

Reaction score
Ok now I am totally confused.

If i download other plugins like drtic or the games or bullz_text or the jukebox then the var stays the same without getting full but if I download the weather forecast or the samba then the var gets full.
Now from what I can understand the weather and the samba are not just simple plugins.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
pant said:
Now from what I can understand the weather and the samba are not just simple plugins.

I would agree.

When you first get the DreamBox you try everything but then soon find that the more you add the unstable it gets.

Eventually you'll old load what you need - enjoy the fun - it's a great product that does so much more than receive satellite.

At the end of the day that's what I bought mine for and that's what it does.

I never get time to watch it - all the technology part's what I like - for me that's the fun.