Moving from Arabsat 2B to Badr-4

Number Six

Member
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
North West UK
hello,

I am currently in Amman, Jordan. Now, I have my satellite receiver tuned to receive Arabsat 2B channels. I also receive Hotbird and Nilesat.

However, I wish to change from Arabsat 2B to the BADR-4 satellite. How can I do this? From what I understand, the BADR sats are in different locations (26E as opposed to 30.5E).

Would I simply have to move the position of the dish slightly? How can I do this properly? Also, would I be able to do this whilst maintaining the nilesat reception (7W)?

Thanks in advance! :)
 
More information required:

What size is your Dish?

How are you getting Hotbird and Nilesat? ie Does your Dish have multiple LNBs or is it equipped with some form of motorisation?

If it has multiple LNBs, where exactly is the Dish aligned to?
 
its easy mate he is reciveing all off them in one dish its proberbly m1.8
you can do that in the middleast and north africa.
any way you can still recieve badr4 in the same dish you dont need to move the dish just move the lnb you used to use for arabsat to the left if you are behind the dish.
 
hello,

Thank you very much guys for your advice.

I can confirm my question relates to reception here in Amman, Jordan.

I'll check later on the size of the dish, but I believe it is 1.2m.

From what I understand (I'm a complete novice with this), the satellite dish has all three of the satellites in it's line of sight. When I use the setup menu on the receiver, I can see around 30 satellites in the list than I can tune in to.

What I don't understand, is if I the dish can pick up a satellite at 30.5E, how can it not pick something up at 26E (which is "closer" to the direction it which the dish is pointing)?

Moridark_back1, wouldn't I have to move the LNB to the "right" (when standing behind the dish), as it is pointing in a southerly/south easterly direction?

Thanks again,

Odai.
 
Number Six said:
From what I understand (I'm a complete novice with this), the satellite dish has all three of the satellites in it's line of sight. When I use the setup menu on the receiver, I can see around 30 satellites in the list than I can tune in to.

Just because 30 Satellites are listed, doesn't mean your Dish, as installed, can "see" them! That's all they are - just lists.

The only way a fixed Dish can see more than one Satellite position is if it is fitted with more than one LNB on some sort of bracket, arranged and carefully aligned so that each LNB sees a different Satellite position.

The Beamwidth of a Dish that size is so narrow that alignment must be precise and means there is no chance at all of any single LNB seeing more than one Satellite position.

I think we've got to the stage where a few piccies would help! :)
 
Wow, that's news to me.

In the UK, I also get the 3 satellites on 1 1.2 dish too.

Like I said, I'm a complete novice. I'll try and go and get some photos taken later on today. :)
 
Number Six said:
Wow, that's news to me.

In the UK, I also get the 3 satellites on 1 1.2 dish too.

Like I said, I'm a complete novice. I'll try and go and get some photos taken later on today. :)

The thing is, you are narrowly (very narrowly indeed!) focussing the Dish on a point 24,00 miles above the Equator. Even a small difference in Satellite position translates to a massive point to point difference and that is why either multiple LNBs are needed (all carefully adjusted to different effective focal points) or a means of moving the Dish itself is required.

Anyway, the piccies will tell the story :)
 
Ok. :) I'll post them tonight.

In the mean time, do you know of any articles/guides that can help explain the basics of satellite TV systems?
 
Here in Georgia, with 1.2m we generally have the following lineup on 1.2m dish

7W-5E-13E (5E middle)
5E-13E-19E-26E (13E middle)

So I don't think it will be hard in Amman.

The largest multifeed chain I've seen here was 7W-5E-13E-19E-25.5E-30.5E, dish was 1.6 or 1.8m, but still, side satellites were weak.
 
hello,

It seems you were completely right mate. :P

Apologies, I don't live here permanently, and am unfamiliar with how the system was setup. I assumed it was a single LNB as there is only one coaxial cable coming into the flat from the top of the building. There seems to be some sort of "switch box" under the dish to connect the 3 cables from the LNB's to the single coax cable.

I'm still positive I have only a single LNB in my home in the UK, but I can't check that now. :)

The dish seems to be 1.8m.

Here are the photos:

LNB's

_http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/IMG_3485.jpg

_http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/IMG_3495.jpg

I'm assuming the black bar at the back is some sort of mechanical way of adjusting the direction of the dish?

_http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/IMG_3488.jpg

The "switch box" I mentioned.

_http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/IMG_3492.jpg

Thanks again for all your help mate!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3495.webp
    IMG_3495.webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 56
If you wish to receive 26 East rather than 30 East, you will need to move the Westerly most LNB on the dish towards the centre a little, you will need a meter to do this accurately.

Don't move the dish, as you would then lose 13E and 7W.
 
Number Six said:
hello,

It seems you were completely right mate. :P

Apologies, I don't live here permanently, and am unfamiliar with how the system was setup. I assumed it was a single LNB as there is only one coaxial cable coming into the flat from the top of the building. There seems to be some sort of "switch box" under the dish to connect the 3 cables from the LNB's to the single coax cable.

I'm still positive I have only a single LNB in my home in the UK, but I can't check that now. :)

The dish seems to be 1.8m.

<snip>

The "switch box" I mentioned.

_http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/IMG_3492.jpg

Thanks again for all your help mate!

No problem :)

The "Switch Box" is a DiSEqC switch and your Receiver will be set up such that a different "Port" is allocated to each LNB and automatically selected whenever you select a particular Satellite.

rolfw has given you the routine for achieving what you want, whereas I often go to bed at night :cool:
 
If you wish to receive 26 East rather than 30 East, you will need to move the Westerly most LNB on the dish towards the centre a little, you will need a meter to do this accurately.

Don't move the dish, as you would then lose 13E and 7W.

Thanks for the advice. But wouldn't I have to move the most Easterly one? Ie, the one pointing at 30E? The dish is pointing south-ish.

So would I have to move the LNB on the right (standing in front of the dish) to the left a little? Also, could you possibly link me to the type of meter I would need?

No problem

The "Switch Box" is a DiSEqC switch and your Receiver will be set up such that a different "Port" is allocated to each LNB and automatically selected whenever you select a particular Satellite.

rolfw has given you the routine for achieving what you want, whereas I often go to bed at night

Ahhh, so that's what it is. I often found the DiSEqC setting in the receiver setup menus but I just ignored them. Thanks for clearing that up!
 
Back
Top