Multi LNB Problems

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm and 1m motorised dishes, 30w to 53e. DM500 and DM800. Server running MS Server 2008. Freenas NAS. Custom built desktop PC and 2 x laptops all running Windows 7.
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
Hi

I seem to be having problems setting up my multi lnb dish. I am located near Peterborough. I have a 60cm dish at the front of the house, very limited view of the southern sky, I have aligned the dish to 23.5 and get an excellent signal, 70-80% on all transponders. I have a multi lnb bracket and the second lnb is aligned to 28.2 and I get about 70% signal on some transponders going down to 35'ish with large errors on others but fully locked on satfinder on my DM800. I had the system connected to a 2-way diseqc switch and it was working fine. I decided to try picking up 19.2, to see what I could get out of the dish, so purchased a monoblock. I removed the lnb aligned to 23.5, fitted the monoblock and got about 35% signal from 19.2 with large errors. I'm guessing this is because the signal is skipping off the edge of the dish. I did get some problems switching between 23.5 and 19.2 which I understand is down to a monoblock being a switch and then going through another switch as well. I purchased another multi lnb bracket and lnb to combat this. My problem is now having removed the monoblock and fitted the new bracket and LNB, I can't find 19.2 for love nor money. The bracket I have gives me 9 degree spread from 23.5 to 19.2 but I can't find the satellite at all. I've even tried putting the monoblock back up and still can't find it. The dish is still perfectly aligned to 23.5. Additionally my diseqc switch no longer functions fully. I can get 23.5 and 28.2 when directly connected to the receiver but if I connect the switch I can only get 28.2. The bracket I have for 19.2 is completely straight. Does it need to be curved towards the dish? Anyone have any ideas how I can locate 19.2 again?

Any help would be useful as my gf is getting peed off standing at a cold window calling signal numbers out to me with me up a ladder.

Thanks

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
When you connected and disconnected F-connectors from switch without turning off your receiver, switch could burn out.
If antenna is perfectly aligned to 23*E, do not touch it, cuz situation can became even worse.
Connect LNB for 19,2*E directly (no switch at all) to your receiver and try to catch signal. After doing that, just fix LNB in that position.
Buy 1/4 Diseqc (you will need it any way) and connect all LNBs to it.

P.S. Instead of your gf use your laptop with installed satfinder (of course you need wireless connection to DM800).
P.P.S. And please show some pictures of installation.

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm and 1m motorised dishes, 30w to 53e. DM500 and DM800. Server running MS Server 2008. Freenas NAS. Custom built desktop PC and 2 x laptops all running Windows 7.
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
I always make sure to power off the receiver when I disconnect the switch but just in case I have ordered a new 4-way switch. I did connect the receiver directly to the 19.2 LNB and couldn't get any signal at all. Only 90% AGC. One thing to note. When I disconnect the LNB's, even though everything is powered off, I still get a slight shock. I have ordered some new pre-made cables just in case it's my cableing although I've not had a problem before now.

I'll take some pics when I get home and post them later. On night shift at the moment.

I have got Android apps that connect to my Dreambox and show the signal, I just forget to use them and with not being very good on a ladder my phone is likely to end up on the ground with me following it.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
When you connected and disconnected F-connectors from switch without turning off your receiver, switch could burn out.
er - I do this the whole time and sort of accept that I'm going to get a light shock from time to time. I didn't realise that this wasn't a good idea :(

P.S. Instead of your gf use your laptop with installed satfinder (of course you need wireless connection to DM800).
gf more likely to be weather proof :)

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
Ok, I have taken a photo of the dish. I know it isn't very tidy looking but it's a WIP at the moment.

Attachments

• IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0358.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 164

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Ok, I have taken a photo of the dish. I know it isn't very tidy looking but it's a WIP at the moment.

Does the wall bracket have stabilising arms that we can't see behind the dish? The plate in contact with the wall looks to be on the small side and doesn't appear to have all its bolts in place. I know the dish isn't huge but how does it cope in strong wind?

[edit] ah - OK. You say it's work in progress :)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
For me picture of your antenna looks OK. And reception of 19,2*E should be more or less fine. Are you sure, that before finding signal you have changed settings of your receiver? It should be set to "simple" and than 19,2*E Astra.

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
I have got my new 4-way switch and some new cables. As I work nights I don't get chance to work on this during the day. I will replace the kit Friday/Saturday and report back.

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
Installed my new switch and cables. I can now get 28.2 and 23.5 but still can't get 19.2. Have connected the LNB directly to the receiver and set to single in tuner config but get no snr from the LNB at all only 65-99% AGC. Have plumped for a new LNB. Will see what happens then. Really wanted to get it sorted this week. Wanted to watch Transporter The Series on RTL. :-(

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
On which frequency of 19,2*E you are checking signal? I would try automatic scan for 19,2*E for all frequencies.

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
Have updated my satellites.xml with just these three satellites and have tried all frequencies. There is no SNR on any frequency. When I'm up at the dish I have tried the strongest frequency on that satellite. As far as I'm aware there isn't anyway to blind scan on the DM800, not on the image I'm using anyway.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I did not mean blind scan, just instead of scanning "single frequency" try to do "single satellite" scan. If it is possible, try to move 19,2*E LNB little bit closer to 23*E LNB also up and down,. This is only 60cm dish, but I do not see any reasons not to be able to lock 19,2*E which is very strong in your area.

foseco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Staffordshire, UK
I've not tried a single satellite scan because I have manually done a satfind and checked every frequency for 19.2, there is no SNR on any. When adjusting the LNB, I set satfind to the strongest frequency. I start with the LNB higher than 23.5, I know it should be lower, and move it in increments as my partner is watching the screen, out to the very edge of the bracket. I then adjust the angle of the bracket down slightly and move the LNB back to the center of the dish. I repeat this until I can't move the bracket down any further. I can't get any signal from that satellite at all. I know the signal was bouncing off the very edge of the dish anyway because when I did have it on the monoblock the SNR was around 35% with a very high BER but the majority of the channels were fine. The only thing I can try is a replacement LNB when it comes or get someone out to it but most people charge the earth to realign a multi-lnb system or won't touch them.