multi-lnb setup

lixxus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s+
My Location
london
im upgrading my ageing system next month.

i currently have a cheap echostar, very very old.

im looking into dreambox because of the opensource operating system and plugins. :p

currently the dish is motorised. but im thinking of getting it fixed.
my question is what satellites are the best for arab channels,sports,freesat,movies

im currently of thinking of getting astra 28.2e for freesat and hotbird for morocco channels.

someone suggested thor satellite is very good ?

any ideas. please and is dreambox the preffered system is there anything similar that can be flashed with images.

kind regards

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum lixxus

Well without knowing what size dish you have advise is difficult to give.

A Dreambox is a hobbyist stb and requires weeks of learning about before you will be its master, I suggest you think again on your choice of stb unless you are extremely comfortable with Linux

lixxus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s+
My Location
london
thanks for quick reply.

the dish size is 120cm

i am comfortable with linux. ive had experience flashing routers and similar device such as alix/wrap.

its just a surpise to me i never heard sooner about satellite recievers that are linux compatible.

i would very much appreciate some advice on the best satellites atm.

im in london. and sick and tired of crap freeview signal so freesat 28.2e 2D is a must.
ive done some reading and plan on using ccam for cardsharing. i wont go into detail as i dont know whether this talk is allowed on forum.

but i prefer fixed because of weather here in uk. the rain and wind can mess up the alignment of satellite signals.

i just cant decide on which satellites to use.

also will 3 lnbs be overkill. and what lnb's and diseqc switch do you recommend.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A good quality motorised dish will have no problem with the weather, can you take a couple of photos of your existing setup?

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
You can look on Lyngsat to find the programs on satellites and make your choice. When you use a multi-bracket LNB setup, the closest 2 satellites can be is typically 3 deg, e.g 28.2 and 19.2 are easy 19.2 and 23.5 is very tight. You can get "narrow" LNBs that allow slightly closer setup. I prefer multi-LNB setups as there is no movement on the dish and switch time between channels on different satellites is instantaneous.

lixxus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s+
My Location
london
rolfw said:
A good quality motorised dish will have no problem with the weather, can you take a couple of photos of your existing setup?

ill try and take pictures 2moro sometime.

my main aim is to watch premiership football games and champions league.

again i havent ordered my reciever yet. but i have heard clone dreamboxes have time bomb issue with flashing.

is this true and are original dreamboxes unaffected. also can anyone recommend a retailer please

lixxus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s+
My Location
london
lixxus said:
ill try and take pictures 2moro sometime.

my main aim is to watch premiership football games and champions league.

again i havent ordered my reciever yet. but i have heard clone dreamboxes have time bomb issue with flashing.

is this true and are original dreamboxes unaffected. also can anyone recommend a retailer please

update: been looking through the array of distro images.

nabilo,PLI,Gemini

anyone got any views please. i prefer one with a larger community and continuous updates and support

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you want Premiership football you are going to need access to a subscription card - there are almost no freebies these days even with the Linux boxes. The last compromised service (DigiTV on 1W) is expected to go secure in the near future.

Subs cost anything up to £1500/year if you have to use a UK based reseller!

Pukka Dreamboxes arent affected by the timebomb. Clones are and you want to stay away from Gemini images if you buy a clone.

lixxus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s+
My Location
london
thanks for quick reply, guys this forum support is second to none.

still would like recommendation to retailer and images please

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
The only Retailer I would use is _www.satstore.co.uk , great service and support. There are others including the forum supporting advertisers.

Nabilo are probably the best image around. Especially for the higher spec. boxes.
For Premiership football your best bet is most likely sly italia . Check out _www.marconidigital.com for euro based pre payed cards. He does sly italia calcio and sports card and receiver for around £1200.