Lost Soul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Dish.
Universal LNB
Passion+ receiver
My Location
Northern Ireland
I have recently wentured into the world of satellites and installed a Fortec Passion HD system from Maplins.
I mounted the dish following the 'wonderful' instructions and proceeded to line it up to pick up Freesat on Astra 28.2.
The signal strength was only about 65% and quality was non-existent.
Eventually I rotated the LNB in a clockwise direction (the wrong way) and the quality improved to up to 92%.

My question is : - I am getting great pictures on most channels including BBC HD, no ITV HD or C4 HD. Yet I am picking up - Hotbird 13 E, 2 Astra satellites & BADR 26E.

How can I improve on a good signal but from one satellite?
Which is the best for the EPG?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Lost Soul

Youi can only receive signals from one satellite at once unless you have multiple dishes, multiple lnb's a monobloc or a motorised dish. What you are seeing is cross channel effect where a frequency on 13 East corresponds with one on 28.2 East.

There is a known alignment problem with the FS lnb's from Maplins
See this thread
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...28721-skew-problem-fortecstar-lnb-fckuvn.html

Lost Soul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Dish.
Universal LNB
Passion+ receiver
My Location
Northern Ireland
Topper, thanks for the info. My LNB is already in 'negative polarity'.

I already realised the guide was useless and just applied common sense.

So it seems that I might have to change the Fortec LNB for one that is a bit more discerning.

Any suggestions as to which one would best suit?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry I do not know what you mean, an lnb in most circumstances will only pick up what the dish throws at it, under normal circumstances this will only be one satellite unless you have particularly unusual dish which some of the older analogue dishes were and you could get reception from two satellites on the same universal lnb. There is nothing wrong with what you have apart from the unusual skew angle but that does not stop it being useful once it is understood there is a peculiarity. TBH I am having difficulty understanding what your concerns are.

G

I think he means he'd twigged the FSUKVN was "quirky" and wanged it round to the right (wrong!) angle - but would prefer something slightly less esoteric to replace it. Nothing to do with the apparent reception of other Satellites (ie scanning lists of common frequencies).

OTOH, I am already well into my Friday Night Claret, so I could be wrong!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your LNB will not be seeing other satellites, it will only appear as if it is, as Topper says, other satellites operate on similar frequencies.

elviss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turksat
My Location
turkey
thank youuuuu

Lost Soul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Dish.
Universal LNB
Passion+ receiver
My Location
Northern Ireland
When I ran through the various satellite installation options I 'told' the tuner to select the 28.2 Astra satellite and it tuned in the usual number of channels.
I then told it to tune in to Hotbird and the other Astra satellite one after the other - it added a large number of identical channels but also a number of different ones - each one displayed the satellite name and angle whence it came.
So it would appear I am receiving from more than one satellite.

G

Lost Soul said:
When I ran through the various satellite installation options I 'told' the tuner to select the 28.2 Astra satellite and it tuned in the usual number of channels.
I then told it to tune in to Hotbird and the other Astra satellite one after the other - it added a large number of identical channels but also a number of different ones - each one displayed the satellite name and angle whence it came.
So it would appear I am receiving from more than one satellite.

That's because that information is stored in the Receivers Data Tables .......... Change the name of, say, Hotbird, to Fred and scan and all the results will appear to be from Fred.

You cannot pick up signals from anywhere other than the Satellite you are aligned to.

Do have a look at the listings on eg _www.flysat.com and correlate them with Channel names you are getting and it should all become clear(ish!).

Appearing to be getting Channels from several Satellite positions is a common deception for those learning the dark arts :)

It arises because different Satellite positions use similar Transponder parameters - something they can only succeed in doing precisely because there is no possibility of "interference" from other Satellite positions!

Lost Soul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Dish.
Universal LNB
Passion+ receiver
My Location
Northern Ireland
thanks for all your response. i'm not sure if i am any further forward but i now realise it is not straightforward. i will continue to research and experiment.