Multiswitch Advice

blokey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Hi there,
I've just bought a old small victorian house and i'm in the process of rewiring it. While i've got all the floorboards up i've decided to take it a step further and run twin coaxial and twin cat 5's to each of the bedrooms and a fair few more to the lounge. I'd like to situate the hub of my entertainment in the cupboard under the stairs so i'd really like to put the multiswitch under the stairs if possible. Would this cause me any problems, the runs from the dish would be probably no more than 15-20 meters. I could then unplug and adjust my configuration if i so wanted to at a later date without having to go up in the loft. Any advise would be appreciated.
Regards
Adam

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Id be inclined to put maybe 4 or even 6 coaxes and cat5 's into at least he main rooms - even if you dont connect them all up to begin with.

You never know when you want extra points & you dont want to start ripping the floor up again 12 months after you move in!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
15-20 meters from the dish to multiswitch won't cause you any problems. Don't forget you need to run 4 cables from the dish to switch location :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Make that five cables to the multiswitch from the outside. Four from the satellite dish and one with terrestrial signals (TV and/or DAB and/or FM, or any combination)

blokey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for all you responses. I was considering at least 4 coaxial to my main tv point downstairs and yes 5 coaxial down from the loft is the plan. I'll let you know how i get on,
Thanks again,
Regards
Adam