Multiswitch debugging

txenginer

Reaction score
I have a nine box installation, 8 Pace miniboxes and one Amstrad Digibox. an SLX multiswitch. Only the Digibox has a viewingcard as the others are used for pure free to air channels.

The problem is this. when I connect the box directly to the LNB, The box will find the EPG listings no problems and when I connect the boxes through the multiswitch they can pick up the channels no problems bu they will not pick up the EPG through the multiswitch and sometimes they loose the satellite signal when changing channels. Any ideas how I've set this up wrong? Why won't the boxes pick up the EPG through the multiswitch?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Two questions

1/ What Lnb are you using - needs to be compatible with the use of a multiswitch - you cannot use a convential quad lnb.

2/ if you are using a compatible m/s and lnb the receivers should behave normally- as long as you have correctly plugged the appropriate lnb feeds into the right inputs on the m/s.. you will have four ..
a/Vertical High,
b/vertical low,
c/ horizontal high, and
d/ horizontal low

GA

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
yep, sounds exactly like 1 of the 4 inputs isn't working. Either nothing getting through from lnb, or you've connected 2 inputs the wrong way round.

Get the epg working, then connect receiver to each lnb output (at the point it enters multiswitch) in turn, that will confirm all are working.

If using a quad output lnb, did you set supply voltage to "universal"?

is it the same on all switch outlets? If not, might mean faulty switch.

biffa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 19 + 28,2 multiswitch, Syk+HD,digibox (panasonic), 1 analog(kathrein), 1 digital PVR(Kathrein 580), dvbviewer + skystar2
My Location
Germany
spiney said:
yep, sounds exactly like 1 of the 4 inputs isn't working. Either nothing getting through from lnb, or you've connected 2 inputs the wrong way round.

Get the epg working, then connect receiver to each lnb output (at the point it enters multiswitch) in turn, that will confirm all are working.

If using a quad output lnb, did you set supply voltage to "universal"?

is it the same on all switch outlets? If not, might mean faulty switch.

I'm wondering whether this solved the problem. Basically I have the following issue:
2x dishes with quattro LNB (Smart 0.2db) on each dish (1 dish=19,2 other=28.2/bskyb); (Previously direct to sky digibox and receiver via Twin LNB - all worked just fine)
4 cables running from each into a multiswitch (9->6)
Cable that runs to a kathrein 580 (s/w version 2.03 latest with tvtv.de EPG) works just fine with Diseqc multiswitch (ie. BBC free and german channels received ok); HOWEVER, NO EPG anymore on any channels!!

Other cable runs into a Sky digibox (panasonic), which simply states "no signal received"; I can't get the digibox to find the sky channel via the multiswitch.

I checked the 8 inputs (v/H, L/H) and can't find any obvious mistake. My assumption is the digbox has no diseqc but has a 22khz(??).

Anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't work??
thanks.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
the sky box has no diseqc, hence astra 2 dish must feed into the multiswitch "default" output. That might be fixed or switchable, depending on make/model.

I don't know enough about tvtv epg to give any helpful info, sorry.

biffa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 19 + 28,2 multiswitch, Syk+HD,digibox (panasonic), 1 analog(kathrein), 1 digital PVR(Kathrein 580), dvbviewer + skystar2
My Location
Germany
spiney said:
the sky box has no diseqc, hence astra 2 dish must feed into the multiswitch "default" output. That might be fixed or switchable, depending on make/model.

I don't know enough about tvtv epg to give any helpful info, sorry.

So one step at a time. I fixed the EPG. basically on the Kathrein PVR-Sat receiver, I did a complete factory reset after swapping the 8 cables from pos B to Pos A (which I hoped was the default channel for the switch). After the switch, the receiver lost the EPG, but after a reset, retune of all channels, it then went into 'loading epg mode' and we're back in business.
However, digibox still DED. Checked the make / reseller and it would appear that it doesn't take the default channel without diseqc. So I am in the process of returning the switch for another one (SPaun, Kathrein or Preisner.de) where you can set each output to do whatever you want (22khz, no diseqc, default A or :cool:. If I have any luck, I'll let you know but that should be it... i hope :-)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
er, that's a bit drastic. Shouldn't you just have tried swapping the 2 dishes over first? But, you're "on the spot" and are the person fixing it! Glad to hear one bit got sorted out, it's always nice when that happens!

Would be grateful any info on tvtv format (my German isn't too good!), does it use teletext format, or does it "sit inside" unused MPEG2 data fileds?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
thanks, but that's simply the UK Internet version of the actual guide, i was wondering how it's actually delivered on satellite.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I suppose you just need the software incorporated in the STB or PCI card to grab the data from the MPEG stream.

It can also be used in analogue systems - I suppose the data must be inserted in the video signal a la teletext.

Llew

biffa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
spiney said:
er, that's a bit drastic. Shouldn't you just have tried swapping the 2 dishes over first? But, you're "on the spot" and are the person fixing it! Glad to hear one bit got sorted out, it's always nice when that happens!

Would be grateful any info on tvtv format (my German isn't too good!), does it use teletext format, or does it "sit inside" unused MPEG2 data fileds?

Swapping the dishes won't and didn't help, hence the drastic measures. It's the only solution left. I'm validating a switch with the local sat man, who has agreed to use his dealer database to find a suitable price for the features that I want. I know that customer service is an oxymoron in itself in germany, but he seems to be doing it..

As to tvtv - I know that Kathrein had to do a deal with the company to get the data into their software/chip/box from the satellite. To be honest it's pretty much the functionality that you get with a sky digibox, slightly different format and allows of course the direct recording etc to the disc, setting up a schedule etc. It works on all most all channels including the UK ones, so it does speak english too... If you have used Dbviewer on your PC, then the data content probably is not a lot different.

the english version of the tvtv user guide can be found on kathrein.de website. it has graphics etc so would give you an idea of what it is.
so navigate via : Bedienungsanleitungen in englischer Sprache at http://kathrein.de/de/sat/index.htm
Biffa.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
yeah, epg is sky's best feature, so i'm not surprised other companies have done their own versions. Good luck with multiswitch debugging.

biffa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
biffa said:
Swapping the dishes won't and didn't help, hence the drastic measures. It's the only solution left. I'm validating a switch with the local sat man, who has agreed to use his dealer database to find a suitable price for the features that I want. I know that customer service is an oxymoron in itself in germany, but he seems to be doing it..

For completeness sake and for any other digibox users abroad - you CAN run a digibox thru a multiswitch as long as you get the right one!! i.e mine now works just fine and dandy, but it allows setting each individual output to any setting (pos A/B, 22khz, std and even LNB voltage). I use the A/B on the digibox. My whole house is now working on one cable finally. (fyi, preisner don't sell the switch anymore, but kathrein and Spaun do).

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes, obviously you can run a Sky digibox from a multiswitch, in Britain that's what they're mostly used for! See my guide, in FAQs below