Must Be The Dish

Cobay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Grundig Freesat (non HD).
Sky Minidish (region 1)
My Location
Folkstone
I have the following problem and isolated it to the Sky Region 1 dish - but what can be wrong.

Using Grundig standard receiver.
I get good signal strength on horizontal and nothing on vertical.
However on the horizontal I get no TV picture/sound.
Box is working fine - had friend check it. LNB is working fine had friend check it. Tried a 60cm dish on same alignment and all worked fine. I get the correct NetID 03b and the correct transponder. So it must be some thing with the dish - BUT WHAT can be wrong with a dish? It looks fine physically. Any ideas guys?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Cobay said:
I get good signal strength on horizontal and nothing on vertical.

With a corresponding quality of what? which is much more important.
Cobay said:
However on the horizontal I get no TV picture/sound.
Box is working fine - had friend check it. LNB is working fine had friend check it. Tried a 60cm dish on same alignment and all worked fine. I get the correct NetID 03b and the correct transponder. So it must be some thing with the dish - BUT WHAT can be wrong with a dish? It looks fine physically. Any ideas guys?
If you are so convinced that everyting is working then perhaps somebody painted it with the incorrect type of paint which is absorbing all the signal not reflecting it

Cobay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Grundig Freesat (non HD).
Sky Minidish (region 1)
My Location
Folkstone
Let me rephrase the question - is there anything about dish alignment that can cause good signal and quality strength on horizontal and nothing (signal or quality) on vertical channels? LNB works fine on another dish. Working LNB from another system shows same strange behaviour on the problem dish.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It is possible, yes. For example if the Vertcal transponders were a lot weaker than the horizontals and the dish wasn't aligned properly.

On a minidish, in the UK, I have never noticed it though, as I have never deliberately misaligned it or gone through comparing the strength of H and V transponders.

Surely, you have checked the dish alignment anyway?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Check

>Dish alignment
>Cable for damage & cable connectors
>Check and change LNb if required although you say it was working, I would swap it out.
:)