Just Sharing This My Channel Master 1.8 project.

I remember that 1.8m CM setup you had on the polar mount, it was a nice setup.
The polar mount was the heavy duty one from SSS I think?
It was MB, still up now adorning my Precision 1.8m..
 
update on ARC - ive made some changes - can now get 23.5e (pretty low signals about 8db) - to 22w quite high 14-15db
my arc seems stronger on the west sats
 
update on ARC - ive made some changes - can now get 23.5e (pretty low signals about 8db) - to 22w quite high 14-15db
my arc seems stronger on the west sats


Sounds like a small rotation of the entire assembly on the pole is required to get the arc symmetric?
The gurus will be along in a few minutes, they will sort it for you.
 
Or get an AJAK H180 or SMO36 from somewhere.
like hens teeth..................................................................................................
 
Any chance of installing the elevation actuator? Will be easier to work out if you are aiming above or below each satellite.
 
not really mate - a further update, i can also reach 30w - getting about 16/17db on most tp's - should i send dish to 19e - hook up signal meter, and then rotate whole assemply left or right and see if signal increases?
 
Re 1224s... I have a few in garage. Some in need of total refurbishment and some in serviceable condition.

I also have the Jumbo motor from @scopus which he used with his 1.8m CM in a sheltered location. I wanted to use it with my much lighter Laminas 1.8m (also in the garage) but my very exposed westerly location meant that its size acted like a huge sail and even a brisk breeze would make it wobble and lose signal. I'd say it would be OK in a sheltered place.

Hence the conversion to polar mount.
 
Re 1224s... I have a few in garage. Some in need of total refurbishment and some in serviceable condition.

I also have the Jumbo motor from @scopus which he used with his 1.8m CM in a sheltered location. I wanted to use it with my much lighter Laminas 1.8m (also in the garage) but my very exposed westerly location meant that its size acted like a huge sail and even a brisk breeze would make it wobble and lose signal. I'd say it would be OK in a sheltered place.

Hence the conversion to polar mount.
Yes, I raised my 1.8 dish so not so sheltered now, the polar mount was the way to go. I have a Precision 1.3 on a 1224 fairly exposed too, I wouldn't like to put anything bigger on it to be honest...
 
guru's - any thoughts on post 289 above. re poor eastern arc - and next steps...? many thanks
 
If declination is easy to adjust use it for quick up/down movement to work out if the eastern satellites are above or below your current arc.

I agree with what moonbase said. Go back to 0.8°W, if your longitude is west of Thor move the dish a few clicks east and then rotate the whole assembly on the pole to peak. This is because if you are west of your due south satellite, when the arc is correct the dish should be pointing slightly east rather than directly south. I think anyway :confused:
 
If all else fails you could use "The Equation of Time" to find due South at 0.0 on a sunny day.

All you need to do is string the dish vertically and check what time the sun is due south at your precise location.
There are several online tools that will do this for you and you can drop the "Pin" right on the area of your garden where the dish is.

At the allocated time, the shadow from the string should be cast vertically down the centre of the dish if it is facing 0.0 south.
You can rotate the entire assembly on the pole to get the shadow central on the dish. You have plenty time to do this as you can start getting close a few minutes in advance.
The sun takes approximately 4 minutes to traverse one degree so if you get the shadow line centred and the mount clamped up within 30 seconds or a minute you are pretty well lined up.

Flaws in this procedure are UK weather and being around at the allocated time.
 
If declination is easy to adjust use it for quick up/down movement to work out if the eastern satellites are above or below your current arc.

I agree with what moonbase said. Go back to 0.8°W, if your longitude is west of Thor move the dish a few clicks east and then rotate the whole assembly on the pole to peak. This is because if you are west of your due south satellite, when the arc is correct the dish should be pointing slightly east rather than directly south. I think anyway :confused
my longitude is 0.11e lol
 
things are improving, job for weeked for some more fine tuning...i wish my 24" actuator would hurry up!!! but delayed delivery is giving me more time to tinker using the temporary 12"
 
not sure what the original one weighs - bloody heavy - a lot heavier with 2 act jacks bolted to it (when i collected it)
 
not sure what the original one weighs - bloody heavy - a lot heavier with 2 act jacks bolted to it (when i collected it)
That will be the thick coating of gold Malsat covered it with to protect against the elements.
 
Back
Top