my current setup - and future requirements any further recommendations

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+ multiroom - quattro distribution system wannabe
My Location
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
hi all,

i was wondering if you could take a look at my configuration, and make any suggestions for enhancements or improvements to the setup - also recommendations on satellite boxes would be good!

Premise

I am currently a sky subscriber, I want to put tv aeriels and satellite recievers around the house (bedrooms / living room / kitchen etc).

My initial solution was to replace existing Quad LNB with a quattro LNB and put this through a multiswitch - which would feed all of my rooms - using the a quadplex plate (feeds 2 satellite / 1 tv point / 1 dab point to all rooms required.

This i have now achived. BUT .....

As part of the install of the new satellite dish and quattro lnb, the existing quad lnb was added onto a multi LNB holder, and pointed at the hotbird satellites (13e).

Equipment used
- Triax 78cm dish
- Labgear 5x16 multiswitch - 14 connections are used off this.
- I have 2 networked switches which allows all bedrooms to have wired networking access
- Dell FX160 Dual core atom processor with 2gb memory and 500gb hard disk (runs silent and low power) running ubuntu 11.

Things i want to do:-

- put a USB DVB-S onto the Dell machine, to allow the sharing of hotbird signals (i have a feed from the quad lnb for it) - also recieve the sky satellite
- in each room that has a feed from the sky multiswitch put in a satellite (was thinking something like a dreambox etc) reciever that will allow me to:
1. recieve freesat etc from the sky multiswitch
2. Can they be configred to read the signals via the ethernet (internet) - so like stream the hotbird signals to these boxes?

your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
You could upgrade your multi switch to allow hotbird to be distributed to all rooms e.g Vision V9-916

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
jonwisbey said:
You could upgrade your multi switch to allow hotbird to be distributed to all rooms e.g Vision V9-916

oooh .... never thought of that!!! - can i mix a quattro and a quad onto a multiswitch? - now THAT would be awesome!

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
My Location
wirral
would use 2 quattro's

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
looks expensive as well :( - more about thinking how i can use the existing equipment - ideally i want to spend around £50 for each reciever (i need 7!), and then look at streaming methods for the dvb-s card - i could even feed the sk dish into my dell box as well because i have a spare port on my multiswitch

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
My Location
wirral
yer its not cheap but then again its a professional bit of kit. i have been using Vision products for years and never had a problem or a faulty product

pchappo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
also i wnder which OS would be best - Windows7 or Linux, i think with Win7 i could use the media centre and share recordings with this - can Linux do this?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
MythTV on a Linux distro will do it - if you have the patience to set it up. I tried and lost my way after several attempts.