My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

The difficulty with those aluminum LNB holders could start if you decide to re-tune antenna lets say several degrees East or West, than it automatically means that you should dismount all LNBs, holders and LNB bar. There is no possibility to move LNB holders along bar cuz 4 metal bits which attach additional bar to original rail stay in place. There is also no possibility to add additional LNB somewhere in the middle of rail except if you dismount whole set of LNBs and holders again. There could be need for that when additional sattelite appears, like it happen with Astra1G 31,5*E. Just lets hope that you will not change your mind on satellites you are going to receive with T90.
I have solution for those 2 difficulties, and that was helpful for me.
 
RimaNTSS said:
The difficulty with those aluminum LNB holders could start if you decide to re-tune antenna lets say several degrees East or West, than it automatically means that you should dismount all LNBs, holders and LNB bar. There is no possibility to move LNB holders along bar cuz 4 metal bits which attach additional bar to original rail stay in place. There is also no possibility to add additional LNB somewhere in the middle of rail except if you dismount whole set of LNBs and holders again. There could be need for that when additional sattelite appears, like it happen with Astra1G 31,5*E. Just lets hope that you will not change your mind on satellites you are going to receive with T90.
I have solution for those 2 difficulties, and that was helpful for me.
Yes i know that but it was the cheapest and fastest solution on a problem that has been on the table for several years.The plastic holders had to be replaced. I just got an idea and i had to try it to see if it worked out, and it did. My solution is the "prototype" and as always it can bee done better with some more ideas. I can see in several different satforum that my idea has been used for many T-90 now.:)
 
Cheers Guys

Some great help there, i will try to get some of the plastic bits back and see how they fair with the bar on its own. Once I have a rough idea - I shall add the rod and go from there.

I have 20 fixings - so I am going to overload them a little so will have some space for futureproof - it wont be much but it will help me a little.

Rain is back again so its on hold again for a day or so and I need to wait to get the plastic bits back. As soon as I ahve them I can start the experiment.

The holder diy job, I think it great. I can't knock it but give full marks on the extra help on adding exra lnbs at the end of each rail.
 
Right guys - sorry for the late reply but been away on a break - weddings and millions of household jobs and work and then the rain.

It was meant to rain yesterday but after a 5 min spit it was Sunshine was the day.

I got my son on reading duties (openbox S9) fixed on 19.2 and 28.2 - his job was to shout out if there was any singal changes.

I got up on the ladder and put a lnb on the 0 line and moved the dish back and forth until my son got bored and walked off to watch some cartoon on dvd (as we have no TV).

I found that by the time I finished the angle was much higher than next doors dish.

So give up and started back in the afternoon and dropped the dish back to below level and started again and after 10mins we got a reading from 45 and 10 to 86 and 75 strength/quality.

I then moved the dish up on the angle and left right my mms just incase I got a few more points on the singal and I settled on 86/85 and 75/74 figures for strength/quality.

Right then moved to the main room and setup the ET5000 for the first time (crystal clear) but I not too sure about the ease of searching channels and the channel selections and saving favs. I need to get my head around that.

Anyway - set it up and after a blind search on 19.2 and (13.0 - it just had that choice) I got 550 channels.

Here is two of them

CBBC Channel - 10773 MHz H 2/3 22000 Astra 1F (19.2E) SNR - 55% BER 0-20K
CBS Action - 11219 MHz H Auto 27500 Hotbird 6,7A,8 (13.0E) SNR -0% BER 28-40K

Can anyone confirm have i got the 19.2E or 13E

The ET5k is using egami and it states on the menu that its BSkyB

using the ET for the first time yesterday so unsure if I am using all the info buttons ok and still learning to operate it.

So its is 19.2?

Before it went up I added a new bar longer 1 piece and then measured out the fixing on the bar and then counted roughly where each sat will be and loaded it with the fixings for the lnbs - I got 16 on the actual bar itself - A little overkill, but it future proofs it a little.

See pictures of setup and the bar.

Also check the space I have left on the left side - maybe about 2 inches so i wont be able to move East much more.

NEXT

1. Am I on 19.2?
2. What shall I do next - with regards to the 2nd lnb - which one should I work on next and how as its on 90 and I have not tilted the dish.


Comments and help please

Thanks for reading once again
 

Attachments

  • SAM_2677.webp
    SAM_2677.webp
    453.8 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_2678.webp
    SAM_2678.webp
    382 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_2679.webp
    SAM_2679.webp
    370.3 KB · Views: 152
  • SAM_2680.webp
    SAM_2680.webp
    320.2 KB · Views: 154
  • SAM_2681.webp
    SAM_2681.webp
    324.1 KB · Views: 158
here is the picture of the space left near the wall.

I guess I should of got a bigger TK bracket.

But at least I got something on 0.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_2682.webp
    SAM_2682.webp
    291.6 KB · Views: 104
The thing I cant figure out is it was 19 and 13 where are all the germany and euro channels and these channels all seem like the the channels you would get on sky - lots of bbc and itv regions and a selection of freebe ones which come with sky.

There is the travel channel, but no food network.

Something just does not feel right with the sat being 19.2E

What else can I add on here to confirm what sat I have picked up - To me it looks like 28E

any thoughts

cheers
 
godzillafan said:
CBBC Channel - 10773 MHz H 2/3 22000 Astra 1F (19.2E) SNR - 55% BER 0-20K
CBS Action - 11219 MHz H Auto 27500 Hotbird 6,7A,8 (13.0E) SNR -0% BER 28-40K

I'm afraid both of those channels are coming from Astra 2/Eurobird at 28.2E so something isn't aligned properly or your switch settings are wrong.

If you don't skew the dish you're not going to get good signals and I suspect you won't get some satellites further away from the centre although I'd never set up one of these so not quite sure about how the skew works.

All receivers give slightly different readings when it comes to signal levels but Astra 2 should be pretty high. I would have thought the quality percentage should be in the high 90s on a 90cm equivalent dish in the UK. If the quality is too low you'll just lose channels when it rains.
 
If it is 28,2*E you caught on the middle, than you need to change brackets (to let your T90 turn more East). Of course, you can leave 28,2* E on the middle, but than you should change overal plan for rest of LNBs. And than, instead of 20 as originally planned and 16 as realistically achievable, you will end on 14 LNBs.
godzillafan said:
2. What shall I do next - with regards to the 2nd lnb - which one should I work on next and how as its on 90 and I have not tilted the dish.
Just try to follow instructions I did wright you some time ago.

Edit: Post #72 Step 5 _http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dish-setup-single-sat-multi-sat-motorised-systems/191828-wavefield-t55-3.html
 
Like Rima says you have hit 28ºE. Make a pencil mark between the dish bracket and the mast so you can use this point as a reference. Now move the dish to the right a bit (west) around the pole. This will make the pencil line you have drawn across the dish bracket and pole to split in two. Move the dish to the right so the lines separate just under 5mm and you should be almost spot on 19ºE. Then you just have to pull the dish up a hair and you should be spot on.
 
timo_w2s said:
If you don't skew the dish you're not going to get good signals and I suspect you won't get some satellites further away from the centre although I'd never set up one of these so not quite sure about how the skew works.
He is going to skew the dish, but that step comes later. Right now the most important thing is finding the central satellite. When the dish gets skewed the central satellite doesn't move.
 
RimaNTSS said:
If it is 28,2*E you caught on the middle, than you need to change brackets (to let your T90 turn more East). Of course, you can leave 28,2* E on the middle, but than you should change overal plan for rest of LNBs. And than, instead of 20 as originally planned and 16 as realistically achievable, you will end on 14 LNBs.

Just try to follow instructions I did wright you some time ago.

Edit: Post #72 Step 5 _http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dish-setup-single-sat-multi-sat-motorised-systems/191828-wavefield-t55-3.html

Huevos said:
Like Rima says you have hit 28ºE. Make a pencil mark between the dish bracket and the mast so you can use this point as a reference. Now move the dish to the right a bit (west) around the pole. This will make the pencil line you have drawn across the dish bracket and pole to split in two. Move the dish to the right so the lines separate just under 5mm and you should be almost spot on 19ºE. Then you just have to pull the dish up a hair and you should be spot on.

Thanks Guys

you are all right as always - I have hit the 28.2E as going through the channels and they are all the same as my old sky dish.

OK now following the guide my making some marks on the pole and mast I need to move right.

To confirm

stand under dish and look south

I then move dish to my right hand side - as I am too far over with the lnb on the 0 mark.

By moving the dish to the right by about 5mm - I should be hovering on the 19E - but I would need to move the angle up by a couple of mms and I should have 19E - if not then follow the step back to 28.2E

I guess this is the next stage.

nearly there

cheers guys
 
Actually I was not right, you have good chance to catch 19,2*E on the middle of T90 without changing brackets. Now, after catching 28,2*E on the middle, you can try to put another LNB somewhere around 9 on the rail from left side if you look from back of T90, and with that LNB try just to find 19,2*E. Skew of T90 should be about 12* ish tilting towards E. After you get 19,2* and tune your receiver, you can turn antenna bit by bit and move that LNB to scale 0.
 
Thanks R
I was hoping to find 19 on 0 without the screw stage.
so should I follow the stage huevos recommended.
So I will then be standing under the dish looking south and on my right side thats where i will be moving the dish by a few mms.

So when I am up the ladder looking at the dish I will push that to the right by about 5mms

I will be on 19ish i hope - and then by moving a few mms up i should hit 19 spot on

I had planned to do that when the rain stopped.
 
I do not know how many mms edge of antenna should move. Probably, if you use high school geometry knowledge, than it is possible to find out how many mms makes 9* turning of antenna. Moving antenna few mms up is also good question, usually we speak about degrees. Anyway, elevation of 19,2*E and 28,2*E is almost same, should be possible to catch 19,2*E with same elevation angle like you have it now. Than, after you get signal from 19,2*E by using all possible means try to get maximum signal on weakest transponder.
 
cheers R

I guess I will try the few mms trick - I will move the dish to the right a few mms at a time until I get to 19E and will draw that line huevos explained at least if I cant get 19E I have 28.2 as a fall back until I work out how to get 19E.

cheers
 
godzillafan said:
cheers R

I guess I will try the few mms trick - I will move the dish to the right a few mms at a time until I get to 19E and will draw that line huevos explained at least if I cant get 19E I have 28.2 as a fall back until I work out how to get 19E.

cheers
It is 4-5mm on the pole. That's why you draw the line on the pole, so you can see how far you move it.

You have to move 9º (28ºE -> 19ºE). The pole is 60mm diameter. 60mm x Pi = 188mm. Divide by 360º and multiply by 9º = 4.7mm at the pole.
 
I think it is impossible to use surface of 60mm pole and make there reference points, I mean impossible to make precise tuning. Than it is probably better to use edge of main dish and measure distance from wall. Anyway, final tuning will be maximum signal from weakest transponder. And, in my opinion, standard mounting and all the fittings of T90 are not made good enough and do not allow to tune up antenna very precise unless you do it very very careful and it takes long time. Especially I do not like how skew is adjusted. But that does not mean that I do not like T90 :)
 
RimaNTSS said:
I think it is impossible to use surface of 60mm pole and make there reference points, I mean impossible to make precise tuning
Of course. I'm just trying to give him a rough starting point to find 19ºE.
 
Huevos said:
It is 4-5mm on the pole. That's why you draw the line on the pole, so you can see how far you move it.

You have to move 9º (28ºE -> 19ºE). The pole is 60mm diameter. 60mm x Pi = 188mm. Divide by 360º and multiply by 9º = 4.7mm at the pole.

Cheers for the breakdown. Once this rain stops I will get back up there and sort this out. Problem is the wife says leave it since I took a while to get any sat signal.

Trying it any way as would like to get as close to 19 on 0 as I can.

Can't wait to check what's in 19.
 
godzillafan said:
I took a while to get any sat signal.
Well it's going to take a lot more time yet. This is just the first LNB.
 
Back
Top