My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

RimaNTSS said:
Godzillafan! Put LNB for 19*E directly in the middle of rail and than moving T90 horizontally (Azimuth) and vertically (Elevation) catch satellite. Do not move any LNBs on the rail and do not change Skew of antenna. Catching signal of 19*E will be first step of tinning, without that you can not go ahead.
Edit: And during this first and very important step you better avoid diseqs by connecting LNB directly to receiver.

As mentioned - next few hours I get free I will get the 19.2E back to 90 and redo it fo thew best figures and then go from there
 
godzillafan said:
At 90 I got 85/70 singal on 19.2E at 0
When I started to move the skew towards 104 the signal started to drop until it go nothing at 104.
Leave it on 104 and then try to get maximum signal on 19,2*E by changing elevation and azimuth.
 
RimaNTSS said:
Leave it on 104 and then try to get maximum signal on 19,2*E by changing elevation and azimuth.

.......what he said LOL
 
godzillafan said:
the lnb is about the height it would be on the original bar give or takes a few cms.
After reading that I've abandoned any hope that this will ever work properly. Like I said you need to start with 3 original holders so you know the LNBs are being placed at the correct height. Also I don't understand why you are bothering with a custom rail if it is just one meter long. The whole point of the custom bar is so you can add LNBs outside the range of the standard bar.
 
Huevos said:
After reading that I've abandoned any hope that this will ever work properly. Like I said you need to start with 3 original holders so you know the LNBs are being placed at the correct height. Also I don't understand why you are bothering with a custom rail if it is just one meter long. The whole point of the custom bar is so you can add LNBs outside the range of the standard bar.

The original rail and holders are pretty flimsy, when you tighten the plastic LNB holders it's very easy it moves a bit, the custom rail is better for everything, easier to fasten the LNBs, faster to move, much smoother overall.
 
Thanks guys


I guess I have a few options left.

After getting the kids to bed last night, I did scan what I got out of 19.2E into the Vu+ Uno and managed to pick up about 750 channels, which seems like a low figure. Most likely due to the 80/50 quality/strenght signal.

OK two options which I can try from your advice yesterday

H - I am going to check with my uncle if he has got the original holders I sent him and if he can send them back for me to try that method.

The 1M bar goes from 20 to 20 on each side - 0.8w to 36e. I have two smaller bars for the 42e and 5W. The smaller bar also get me really close to the original bar, about 1-2cms above it.

R, S & L

In the meantime while I wait for the holders to try both methods.

I left it at about a 95-100 in the end. I will change it to 104 and try to get the best singal from that position, like you said I will start be changing the tilt to see if that has any effect and then moving it back and forth.

Its nuts as its so close and I can get it to 100 and not 104.

If that was the case the signal finsihes at 100. Moving it by 4 extra degrees I lose the signal - logically will it be the elevation and azimuth that needs changing to fix the loss of signal.

I will keep on trying the 104 method until I get the holders back.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_3826.webp
    SAM_3826.webp
    413.9 KB · Views: 76
I personally would not go to original holders. New holders are adjustable in all dimensions including height. When you skew antenna do yo also skew LNB? If not, than that could be cause of lose of signal on 19,2*E after skewing antenna. Yes, your new bar is too short if it covers only -20- +20, with that you will not fulfill your initial obligation about 20 LNBs, but even 12 LNBs will be difficult. Trow away all your mini-bars and get another, 1,5m made of INOX or aluminum.
 
RimaNTSS said:
I personally would not go to original holders. New holders are adjustable in all dimensions including height. When you skew antenna do yo also skew LNB? If not, than that could be cause of lose of signal on 19,2*E after skewing antenna. Yes, your new bar is too short if it covers only -20- +20, with that you will not fulfill your initial obligation about 20 LNBs, but even 12 LNBs will be difficult. Trow away all your mini-bars and get another, 1,5m made of INOX or aluminum.

Thanks R

The bar I got was the only 1M version they had - no problem picking up another one and redoing it to cover 1.5M

No I have not scew the lnbs.

Will pick up the bar today and redo it from 90 - at least I wont miss anything
 
Found a local supplier of the aluminium rods - just checking to see if I can get the 1.5m length.

At the moment the options are 1M and add a 500mm rod to it, which will be quite easy to do.

more updates shortly
 
RimaNTSS said:
Leave it on 104 and then try to get maximum signal on 19,2*E by changing elevation and azimuth.
You should stick to your original advice. Start at 90º and skew the dish. If he just aligns with the dish at 104º this fault would not have shown itself. Now you are saying ignore it and carry on regardless. If the signal at the central LNB changes when the dish is skewed it means the central LNB is at the wrong height. If GodzillaFan had followed the advice all the way through this thread he wouldn't have wasted all this time on rebuild after unnecessary rebuild. If the central LNB is only within "1 or 2 cm" of the correct height the dish is going to underperform severly and that is what is happening here. 19.2E should be 99% SNR on that receiver, but the reading GodzillaFan is reporting is for a fringe satellite.

lanab said:
The original rail and holders are pretty flimsy, when you tighten the plastic LNB holders it's very easy it moves a bit, the custom rail is better for everything, easier to fasten the LNBs, faster to move, much smoother overall.
That's nonsense about being easier or faster. With the original holder you just slide it to where you want it. With the custom bar you need to remove the bar from the dish and strip it down to get the holders in the correct positions.

godzillafan said:
I left it at about a 95-100 in the end. I will change it to 104 and try to get the best singal from that position, like you said I will start be changing the tilt to see if that has any effect and then moving it back and forth.

Its nuts as its so close and I can get it to 100 and not 104.
If you can't get it to 104 you've assembled the dish wrong. Did you follow the instruction to the letter, or just loosely like you've followed this thread? If you leave it at 95-100 your end of arc LNBs are going to perform even worse than the central LNB, which right now is performing worse than a 50cm dish would.

And the most important thing to remember is if you have to realign the dish after skewing it you know it is assembled wrong.
 
Huevos said:
You should stick to your original advice. Start at 90º and skew the dish. If he just aligns with the dish at 104º this fault would not have shown itself. Now you are saying ignore it and carry on regardless. If the signal at the central LNB changes when the dish is skewed it means the central LNB is at the wrong height. If GodzillaFan had followed the advice all the way through this thread he wouldn't have wasted all this time on rebuild after unnecessary rebuild. If the central LNB is only within "1 or 2 cm" of the correct height the dish is going to underperform severly and that is what is happening here. 19.2E should be 99% SNR on that receiver, but the reading GodzillaFan is reporting is for a fringe satellite.

That's nonsense about being easier or faster. With the original holder you just slide it to where you want it. With the custom bar you need to remove the bar from the dish and strip it down to get the holders in the correct positions.

If you can't get it to 104 you've assembled the dish wrong. Did you follow the instruction to the letter, or just loosely like you've followed this thread? If you leave it at 95-100 your end of arc LNBs are going to perform even worse than the central LNB, which right now is performing worse than a 50cm dish would.

And the most important thing to remember is if you have to realign the dish after skewing it you know it is assembled wrong.

Cheers H

When i had the dish down and checked all the screws/bolts etc - they looked spot on and it moved as it should be moving. I am however going to recheck them again when i go up and check if I have not missed anything.

I will do that first before I start.

I will retrace the steps and go back to 90 (thats the place with the highest quality signlas). This time I will write everything down after each step. As soon as the results go astray, I hope this time we will have details of the positions it goes wrong.

I think that will help.

As always report back here. I know once done we are going to look back and laugh either at a silly mistake or a loose screw.

The chap does not have a 1.5M alum rod so going to get a 500mm rod to help extend the 1M bar, just need to add a extra fisxing to the bar. That wont take long.

Pictures and updates to follow.

cheers guys
 
Huevos said:
That's nonsense about being easier or faster. With the original holder you just slide it to where you want it. With the custom bar you need to remove the bar from the dish and strip it down to get the holders in the correct positions.

Then you obviously have not done the correct mod for your new rail if you have such problems, good luck with adding new holders with the original rail in the middle positions without removing the rail.

Original plastic holders are rubbish if you care about tweaking your dish.
 
lanab said:
Then you obviously have not done the correct mod for your new rail if you have such problems, good luck with adding new holders with the original rail in the middle positions without removing the rail.

Original plastic holders are rubbish if you care about tweaking your dish.

I know - this is why I need to go back and recheck everthing, I am sure its something minor or a loose screw
 
godzillafan said:
.....or a loose screw

Don't worry, most of us on here have one of those......
 
lanab said:
Then you obviously have not done the correct mod for your new rail if you have such problems, good luck with adding new holders with the original rail in the middle positions without removing the rail.
Post some photos of your modified rail so we can all see how it works. But so far all the pictures of modified rails posted on the forum (RimaNTS's, Hakon's and mine all need to be dismantled to add additional holders.

With the original rail on the other hand you can slip a holder on one end, slide it right the way along and off the other end without any need to dismantle anything.
 
Actually, I have possibility to add additional LNB holders to rail without even touching other holders, but that is only in exceptional cases (picture1). Additional rail joining to original one is also question of design and could be done in way that ease moving of LNB holders.
On topic: I think that main problem of topic-master is only lack of time playing with his antenna and shortage of experience on installing of satellite antennas. All that should take time. So, need more practice not only positive but also wrong one, just to be able to learn from own mistakes and experience. Anyway, those mistakes made on the way will not be so fatal.
 

Attachments

  • multifeed1.webp
    multifeed1.webp
    90.3 KB · Views: 83
  • e659bd908619 (Small).webp
    e659bd908619 (Small).webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 85
HI R + H

thanks for the latest input - one thing I do know that rereading the thread and the top advice has got me results faster than ever before. I remember when I started I think it took me all day just to get a signal and 19E.

This time around 19E I got within a few attepmts and was straight onto the skcrew settings, of course it went downhill from there, but I know what needs doing.

Right then, here are the lastest findings

I went up yesteday afternoon to check the back and I have a feeling that the 4 screws that go into the back of the disc which holds part of the dish, which allows it to turn might be casuing the problem.

The E and A turn without any problems and allows me to pick up signals without any problems. 28 was picked up within mins and 19 afterwards once I found out I was moving in the wrong direction. I was moving it by looking at the dish (north) and not thinking, I should be moving it while looking south.

Anyway those I have discounted as no problem. So the only problem was the skcrew - so looked at the screws and looked back at the manual and I have a feeling that I best to take them off one by one and put them back on and check that they are actually holding the dish steady.

If there is movement, that means the screws are faulty or not on correctly.

So going back up today and redoing them.

Plan of action - set at 90 and redo the 4 screws, 2 on the left and 2 on the right with 3 screws going down the middle, 7 in total.

Once tight I will check if there is any movement. Then I will loosen them a little until I can turn the dish. I will then know that the screws are doing the job and then retighten them and check if the amount I have turned the dish stays locked.

In otherwords check that the sckrewing works.

I hope that I have explained that well, it will be a 30mins.

The bar - I had some pictures on the last page - I will put them back on and can you check to see if they are anygood - if not dont worry as I am extending the bar today to 1.5M as the new alum bar is being picked up this morning - so this afternoon I am putting it back on and will have fresh photos of it.

Hopefully today's work will answer or fix any error in human screwing
 
The pictures with the 1M bar - i hope its clear.

Bar goes on once. I have a number of holders in each selection of bar.

The bar is held in place with 4 metal thingy things - hope it clear.

I will be moving them slightly today to fit the longer bar.

But more picture to follow. I have the option to increase the hieght of the bar as if you look closely and not sure if its clear I have fixed it to a lower setting but can have it on higher - anyone comment if I should have it higher?

Let me know and I shall move the holder slightly higher.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_3816.webp
    SAM_3816.webp
    433 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_3817.webp
    SAM_3817.webp
    238.7 KB · Views: 75
HI Guys

Latest updates as at 15.37 today.

New bar picked up this morning added that to the original bar to get about 1.5/6M.

Also checked the dish for levels etc and this is the update...

Pics with levels - showed dish for A and E were ok and not having much issue with that.
Pic with the back plate which allows dish to be sckrew like a wheel. - I took off all the screws and put the back on as per instructions and tightened them at 90 and the dish was level and did not move. I then loosened the screws to allow it to move for skcew and it moved smoothly.

I think that these screw might of caused the problem and might of been warpping the dish as I was turning / skcrewing it.

I think that redoing the screws and bolts might of fixed the problems and the levels we fine for me at 90.

The bar - the next pics show the new bar extended to about 1.5/6m or around that mark so it will allow for up 45E and up to 12.5W

Also I have taken som close pics of the bar with a lnb as a guide - I hope that will help you confirm the type of setup I ahve gone for.

I also did it in a way that I put a number of sliding bolts onto the bar so I can add lnbs as I work (I have 16 spread along the bar).

I hope this updates everything and next I am going up to find 19E again based on 90.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_3886.webp
    SAM_3886.webp
    158.4 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_3887.webp
    SAM_3887.webp
    235.8 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_3888.webp
    SAM_3888.webp
    267.9 KB · Views: 75
  • SAM_3889.webp
    SAM_3889.webp
    515.9 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_3891.webp
    SAM_3891.webp
    406.8 KB · Views: 76
  • SAM_3892.webp
    SAM_3892.webp
    368.8 KB · Views: 81
Looks really nice, you will get there in the end.

godzillafan said:
HI Guys

Latest updates as at 15.37 today.

New bar picked up this morning added that to the original bar to get about 1.5/6M.

Also checked the dish for levels etc and this is the update...
 
Back
Top