My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

godzillafan said:
16/1 was a great choice for me, but I know a few months down the line, I am going to stick another dish or two to get some more wests and easts (I dont know why). This will push me over the 16/1 emp.

This is only a comment and I can understand why you might think right now that you'll want to put up another couple of dishes. But.....

You will find that out of the satellites you can receive there are some that you hardly ever (if at all) view. I think we all at some time try for as many satellites as we can, so that we can log them and say we've got reception from them. To me though that's the reason to have a motorised system and run it alongside your mutisat if possible. The more LNB's you add, the more switches and cable you need and the more complex the switching arrangement and receiver programming. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing this, it's a comment drawn from my own experience of the time you actually spend viewing differing channels and satellites. I'm lucky in that (given enough money) I can put up as many dishes of any size as I like, because I have no-one here to object. But in reality, out of 16 possible satellites I probably regularly view, at the most a dozen. The advantage of being able to zap between them is a bonus and I'd definitely recommend a multisat setup for anyone who's keen on viewing content.

Having said all that, go ahead and put up your other dishes if you want, but don't be surprised if they get little or no use if they are pointing to obscure satellites.

(Props to Huevos, who months ago told me more or less the same thing when I came up with a list of sats I wanted to catch.)
 
sonnetpete said:
This is only a comment and I can understand why you might think right now that you'll want to put up another couple of dishes. But.....

You will find that out of the satellites you can receive there are some that you hardly ever (if at all) view. I think we all at some time try for as many satellites as we can, so that we can log them and say we've got reception from them. To me though that's the reason to have a motorised system and run it alongside your mutisat if possible. The more LNB's you add, the more switches and cable you need and the more complex the switching arrangement and receiver programming. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing this, it's a comment drawn from my own experience of the time you actually spend viewing differing channels and satellites. I'm lucky in that (given enough money) I can put up as many dishes of any size as I like, because I have no-one here to object. But in reality, out of 16 possible satellites I probably regularly view, at the most a dozen. The advantage of being able to zap between them is a bonus and I'd definitely recommend a multisat setup for anyone who's keen on viewing content.

Having said all that, go ahead and put up your other dishes if you want, but don't be surprised if they get little or no use if they are pointing to obscure satellites.

(Props to Huevos, who months ago told me more or less the same thing when I came up with a list of sats I wanted to catch.)

Thanks S

makes sense and will work on the current batch of 13/16 I have in mind first and then add to it later. Chances are I will pick up a dish to experiment with later inn the year.
 
Right guys here is switches I have. I have read the info, but just making sure before i move past the 4/1 I tried.

The 10/1 will cover me for the sats I have on the dish.

The pictures show the dish with 4 wires going into a diseqc 4/1 (this was my test), I have also put a picture of the neighbours new fence, it went up a foot or two, not sure why.

The last pic is with the switches.

There is a good bit of wire management to do but this was to make sure everything works before I tidy things up.

H has given some great info, so wanted to double check the info applied to the switches as per picture.

cheers Guys

* pics to follow the upload section not working, give up after a hour, but will get them on shortly.
 
godzillafan said:
The pictures show the dish with 4 wires going into a diseqc 4/1 (this was my test), I have also put a picture of the neighbours new fence, it went up a foot or two, not sure why. The last pic is with the switches.

Pictures???.....
 
sonnetpete said:
Pictures???.....

not working been trying for ages.....

came up with this message if this means anything to anyone

[h=1]Bad Request[/h] Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
 
sonnetpete said:
(Props to Huevos, who months ago told me more or less the same thing when I came up with a list of sats I wanted to catch.)
Basically what I did was if a satellite was in one of my Bouquets I devoted an LNB to it, if not I could still catch it using one of my motorised dishes. In the end, having moved things a few times, I ended up with fixed LNBs on 45E, 42E, 28E, 26E, 23E, 19E, 16E, 13E, 10E, 9E, 7E, 4.8E, 1W, 5W, and 7W. And out of them there are only seven that really deserve their own LNB.
 
Huevos said:
Basically what I did was if a satellite was in one of my Bouquets I devoted an LNB to it, if not I could still catch it using one of my motorised dishes. In the end, having moved things a few times, I ended up with fixed LNBs on 45E, 42E, 28E, 26E, 23E, 19E, 16E, 13E, 10E, 9E, 7E, 4.8E, 1W, 5W, and 7W. And out of them there are only seven that really deserve their own LNB.

Thanks H

This is what I have without the 10E at the moment as I have it fixed on 9E and it needs moving a mm or two to get 10/9E - one thing on the vu+ if i say thats input 10 for exanple on the switch and then on the tuner - do I assign input 10 to both 9E and 10E and scan them and they will automatically pick up whatever is on both???

7W is that possible on the dish - I got as far as 5W but did not try 7W - worth another lnb?
 
Still no pictures I still get a error message like I got earlier - how do you get this checked out if its a issue?

Will try again on opera - as I use firefox - will see if browser problem
 
7.06am update

Right guys pictures worked on opera browser but not on my firefox - I dont get that as never had a upload problem on FF before.
 

Attachments

  • SAM_4071.webp
    SAM_4071.webp
    242.2 KB · Views: 89
  • SAM_4067.webp
    SAM_4067.webp
    345.6 KB · Views: 84
  • SAM_4068.webp
    SAM_4068.webp
    402.2 KB · Views: 81
godzillafan said:
....do I assign input 10 to both 9E and 10E and scan them and they will automatically pick up whatever is on both???

7W is that possible on the dish - I got as far as 5W but did not try 7W - worth another lnb?

Yes, for both 9°E and 10°E assign them exactly the same in advanced tuner config. I did the same for 5°W and 4°W (though I subsequently got nothing from 4°W on the multisat).

How far off of dish focus would 7°W be? You'd probably have to have one of those LNB's with a narrow head and if it's for 7°W your chances of picking up anything would be slim. To try, move your 5°W and use it to search for 7°W. Check on Cairo Uni, which is on 12437V, DVB-S, S/R 27,500, FEC 3/4. It comes in at 53%SNR here using the 1M Gibi and the LNB at focus. Wait for clear weather, you've got less chance if it's overcast. To be honest considering your location, if the LNB isn't at focus I doubt whether you'll get anything but you can try.
 
godzillafan said:
do I assign input 10 to both 9E and 10E and scan them and they will automatically pick up whatever is on both???
I think that for picking 2 sats on one LNB it is necessary to change satelites.xml file, simply put all frequencies from 10*E and 9*E under one sat. And rename that sat like "Eutelsat 9/10". Do not forget to use Huevos made (thanks again) satelite.xml creator, so using only active transponders.
 
RimaNTSS said:
I think that for picking 2 sats on one LNB it is necessary to change satelites.xml file, simply put all frequencies from 10*E and 9*E under one sat. And rename that sat like "Eutelsat 9/10". Do not forget to use Huevos made (thanks again) satelite.xml creator, so using only active transponders.
No that is not true and I would not mix the satellites.xml like that because when you download an image update it over writes the satellites.xml.

What you do is configure 9E LNB, lets say it is LNB 9. Then you got to 10E config and just change that to LNB 9 and all the parameters will be correct for that satellite too. Just remember each LNB number belongs to one physical LNB.
 
godzillafan said:
Still no pictures I still get a error message like I got earlier - how do you get this checked out if its a issue?

Will try again on opera - as I use firefox - will see if browser problem

Tried with the latest version of Firefox and it doesn't work for uploading, will see if there are any mentions on the Firefox forums.
 
Huevos said:
No that is not true and I would not mix the satellites.xml like that because when you download an image update it over writes the satellites.xml.
Will not argue. Although when you come to number of 32 configured satellites (maximum for E2) than joining of frequencies of near satellites would be an option. I did not know that after getting updates of image satelites.xml changes as well, even if so than it is not hard to replace that file with backup copy.
 
rolfw said:
Tried with the latest version of Firefox and it doesn't work for uploading, will see if there are any mentions on the Firefox forums.

I uploaded some photos yesterday to the forum in Firefox 12 on Win XP with no problems.
 
Thanks guys for all the updates while i was doingthe school run.

I will keep a eye on the firefox issue as I tried it for two days without success before moveing to opera and it worked.

Will try it again soon with the next set of pics.

The pics of the 4/1 and and the setup so far and the switch boxes I am going to use. I hope that they will work as everyone mentions just need to play with the settings to get the 2 10/1 to go into the 4/1.

The 10/9 issue - I have made a note of all of the advice and frst going to wire everything up and first try to scan 10 and then 9 and them both together on my s9 to see what I can get in the garden. Then start playing with the vu+ to get it tuned.

That will take me a few hours to do so thats booked for the weekend.

Amazing day today but out to work shortly so will keep you posted throughout the week on little jobs on the sat.

Want to finish the sat by July.
 
godzillafan said:
..Want to finish the sat by July.

LOL, that'll be a year since you started the thread.....
 
I know that will be nearly a year but half of it was wasted by rain and crap weather which is typical up here and then the weekends away and other odd jobs limited me finishing it when I would of liked to finished the job.

but make good progress now and hopefully if the sun comes out on weekends from now until july i would have it finished.

but still a wee bit to do as the tunning side is a job on its own.

The outside work I want to finish soon as the rest will be indoors

back to making notes of the latest advice.

Any thoughts on my switches or am I making work for myself?
 
Latest pictures with the 10/1 on, its a mess but still a few tweaks to do as 9 moved.

but managed to scan in 6500 odd channels from 28e to 1w 9 sats.

more updates coming soon
 

Attachments

  • SAM_4073.webp
    SAM_4073.webp
    297.8 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_4074.webp
    SAM_4074.webp
    293.6 KB · Views: 72
RimaNTSS said:
when you come to number of 32 configured satellites (maximum for E2) than joining of frequencies of near satellites would be an option.
There is no such limitation. The 32 is the number of physical LNBs that can be configured. This has nothing to do with the number of orbital slots that can be accessed. Here is an example to show you what I mean. The tuner "C" of my Ultimo is connected to 4 LNBs (C-band circular, C-band linear, Ku-band linear, all motorised, plus 28E, static). That counts as 4 LNBs in the tuner config menu, but from 57E to 58W (my accessible arc) there are 81 orbital slots in my satellites.xml file and that tuner can access them all.

RimaNTSS said:
I did not know that after getting updates of image satelites.xml changes as well, even if so than it is not hard to replace that file with backup copy.
Well obviously that is up to the image developers, but yes they are updated because most developers want to keep their image fresh and up-to-date.

In OpenPli based images (OpenPli, OpenVIX, BlackPole, etc) there is a location for a user satellites.xml file (/ect/enigma2). When the receiver boots it checks if there is a satellites.xml in that location and if not uses the one that comes with the image. This allows the developers to keep their file up-to-date but not overwrite a user's custom file (which always takes priority if it exists).
 
Back
Top