My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

This will be a good thread, keep up the good work mate, wish the wife would let me go bigger than 80cm with my multi sat madness!

She wont notice just tell her you cleaned it lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guyssss

Hope all is well with you lot.

Just a update on everything.

The dish has been working well for a long time (28e). I just switched to a 16/1 emp diseqc switch (will put another dish up next summer now). I bought it a while ago, but just stuck it up today and cant get much out of it.

Just want to check if much needs to be done from the 4/1 and 10/1s I used in the past.

I cant get anything working on the advanced menu.

Anyone got a print out on how they have config the advance sat setup.

I have been using blackpole for ease of use.

I done my inputs as

3 - 28e
4 - 26e
5 - 23.5
7 - 16e
8 - 19e
10 - 13e
11 - 9e
12 - 7e
13 - 4.8e
14 - 0.8/1w
15 - 5w

the missing ones are for expansions

on the advance setup I only changed these

lnb - lnb3 (for 28)
inc. voltage - yes
diseqc mode - 1.1
command - uncom, - comm, - toneb,
uncomm diseqc command - input 3

I then repeated the same info for all the lnbs so lnb 15 was input 15, lnb 11 was input 11 and so on

anything I am doing wrong???

Hope all is well with you lot
 
I'll try and help but am neither familiar with a 16/1 switch or BlackHole. (I use a VIX image) Checking on the EMP Centauri site, is DIP 1 set to ON and DIP2 set to OFF? You might remember that my set up is four 4/1 switches cascading into another 4/1 so I don't know how useful it would be to copy my settings. Anyway, I've attached a screenshot of my advanced set up screen (obviously the settings change for each satellite).

Multisat.webp
 
hi pete

thanks for the heads up. i guess i dod not help myself by wiring up at 5.30pm just before it got dark.

i did not get the chance to double check the settings.

i need to waiting for the morning now.

tried loads of ways but nothing. maybe dips need checking or wiring
 
The dip switches may have to be set on the back of the EMP. Checking round for info, with a 16/1 I'd try a Command order of, committed, uncommitted, toneburst and set your committed DiSEqC command to 'none'. You are probably correct with matching the LNB number to your input. Try that and if it doesn't work check your cabling, F connectors etc and that the DIP switches are set as I posted..
 
Hi pete
just had a filling from the denist, but thats not going to stop me going up that ladder.

So first checking the dip switches and then the wires

report back here shortly

cheers
 
P

Done the swtiches and moved them to 1.1.

Then checked the lnbs and 28e was at 56-60% so thats low!

I guess two years of wind and weather has added wear and tear and movement to the lnbs and will need to check them all.

Whats the latest bits and pieces everyone using or any upgrades on their lnbs holders.

Need to check whats out there as I noted that the small screws have little rusty marks on them on the metal 4/1 holders i was using.

Might need to upgrade the screws and reposition the lnbs.

whats min' snr's am I aming for (70's)?
 
P
Whats the latest bits and pieces everyone using or any upgrades on their lnbs holders.
I started off by using the standard holders, which I find bulky, difficult to adjust and expensive. Now I use a combination of these and hxxx://bfsat.fr/support-lnb/131-hdline-fixation-support-3-lnbs-relier-jusqu-a-3-tetes-3760211221317.html , which enables me to have a bit more space and extend the reach off the end of the guidebar.
 
It may be that your elevation has slipped but I can't remember if 28E was your central lnb. If so it is a tad low but don't get overly obsessed about what SNR % you should be aiming for, especially if 28E isn't at focus. Try and get your switching sorted out first, the fine adjustments (height, lateral movement and skew) can be done later. Might be worth giving the end cap of the LNB a clean too, mine get covered in a slimey moss. Don't go changing screws just because they get small rusty marks on them, I'm sure they will be fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

I haven't done much to mine lately as far as upgrades. Well, I did stick a piece of plastic in the Triax bar to improve the easterly elevation but that hardly counts as an upgrade. I've tested a slimline LNB in the last couple of weeks and reported back here http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/ordered-a-red-rocket.159908/
 
Don't go changing screws just because they get small rusty marks on them, I'm sure they will be fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
Sure - but is better to replace them long before they get so corroded that the only way to remove them is with Mr Angle Grinder :)
 
Agreed, but I'm worried that by replacing screws, fine adjustments may go awry. If they were looking very rusty, replace them of course...
 
thanks guys,

this is what I am using - I used 4 sets of them to make the 16. The metal blocks slide along a alum pole rod which i fixed to the T90.

xxxx://www.sw-sat.de/Multifeedhalter-LNB-Adapter/Multifeedhalter-4-fach-verstellbar-Aluminium.html

the smart gold lnbs fitted nicely and been great so far - its only after I changed to the 16/1 i noticed some small wear and tear.

Not major and not worth a overhaul.

19E was central and bar went as far as 42E to 5 W (gave me a signal).

But love to get 7W is that possible now???????

So, I guess i might get a tv and old s9 out side and check what kind ofsignals I am getting.

The 16/1 dips - i have the right one up now it was (up, down, down, down for the dips for 1.1)

just wondered how best to approach it.

test the signal on each lnb and load up the signal on the Vu+ first to see what I get for each and then screw into the 16/1 box.

could be a whole sat job!
 
Personally, I'd use the portable/receiver combo to peak up ONE lnb at a time. Connect that to your 16/1 switch and check on the VU+ that you have the switching configured ok and it's working. Go through each one methodically, I know it's going to be a pain doing it this way but it's best to be thorough.

If you struggle to get 5W at the end of your bar you may get nothing from 7W. It's easier to get now but the only way to make sure is to have it at a dish focus. It's the focal LNB on my 1M Gibertini. If you really want 7W I'd suggest a seperate decent size dish.
 
cheers Pete

will stick to the plan and go through each lnb first with my portable tv and s9 outside. Check all lnbs are recieving respectable snr's.

Then I will put them into the 16/1 one at a time checking the vu+ to make sure that it is receiving a signal (oddly enough 5w was giving me about 70's snr), but nothing scanning!

So, as the first time, recheck from 19e first, incase there has been any movement.

Get them all working again and then add one at a time onto the 16/1.

I guess it was a classic case, were the dips were wrong and there has been some movement with the dish.

Love to get another t90 and put that on the other side of the house, but wife will kill me, Unless I get a 1m (will that pick up 7W)?
 
Unless I get a 1m (will that pick up 7W)?

I think you'd get quite a few of the stronger TP's, maybe the MBC bouquet after dark. I pick up a lot of the TP's during the day on my 1M and the horizontals come in of an evening. There is precious little rain margin though...
 
cheers Pete
will stick to the plan and go through each lnb first with my portable tv and s9 outside. Check all lnbs are recieving respectable snr's.
If you have a tablet or whatever you can use Vuplus player to get signal levels wirelessly, no need for a portable TV.
 
well rain and weather here in wales is hit and miss - will check out 1 and 1.1m dish on auction site and any cheap giveaways for that other project. Like to give 7w a bash.

got 28e working at 60% - keeping that until the weekend as footie on tomorrow
 
If you have a tablet or whatever you can use Vuplus player to get signal levels wirelessly, no need for a portable TV.

Any guides or links on setting that up, I have a note and a reasonable tablet
 
got one and its working - a little slow but working.

but how does that working when setting up new lnbs?

I guess it will be a case of scanning in 28e for example - set a channel to watch and then move the lnb around watching your phone for snr changes!

I cant think what else this app does - how do you watch a tv program?
 
got one and its working - a little slow but working.
but how does that working when setting up new lnbs?
I guess it will be a case of scanning in 28e for example - set a channel to watch and then move the lnb around watching your phone for snr changes!
I cant think what else this app does - how do you watch a tv program?
You can watch a program by getting it to stream. You can also get it to show the SNR , AGC etc of the current channel - Extra -> Signal Meter.

There is also Enigma Signal Meter.
 
Back
Top