MySQL access

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i am off work today, and thought i would use it to set up a forum on my web domain.. i wont advertise the address here.

anyway does anyone use 1&1 to host there website, if so what the hell are the setting, im wasting my day here!!! :(

MySQL server name: db***.oneandone.co.uk

MySQL username: db********

MySQL password: (password from MySQL Configuration)

MySQL database name: smf

MySQL database name: smf_

Then click PROCEED

I get this following error…

The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some hosts, you have to create the database in your administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefixes - like your username - to your database names.

Click here to try this step again.

a sent off to the support at 10am, still no reply.... apart from the automated thing letting me know they received mine

Update....
Just received the email off them...useless :(

im am going to try installing a MySQL ver 5 Database and see if that solves it, if not then i will try a different Forum software

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
ive tried ver 4 and 5 of MySQL and ive tried guessing at any prefixes possible in the hostname

i am really stuck now :( even trusty google yeilds no help

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
well that is wierd?

i emailed 1&1 again, explaining in more detail the information i needed (because last time they sent me information i already knew about :-doh!) and they replied by telling me not to use the forum software SMF?

dunno why?

after reading all over the internet on information regarding the best Forum software, all agree that vBulletin is best.

then its a toss up between PHPBB2 and SMF, alot of people said that PHPBB2 is very unsecure though, and gets hacked frequently!!!

thats why i opted for SMF, i know vBulleting is best, but i dont want to pay out, on a venture that might not work out... you know what its like starting a new website.

looks like i will have to take a chance with PHPBB2... and if in 12 months its working out, use the converter and buy vBulletin

oh, and in case your all wondering its a general hobbies forum.... not a satellite one :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Sorted with phpbb2, went straight on no problem using the same settings?