Mythbuntu up and running-anyone else using it

petediscrete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
mvision hd200 combo + Technomate 5400 Super+ technomate diseqc motor+ TD110 dish
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
For anyone interested I have Mythbuntu up and running on the PC.Its operating through a Hauppauge HVR4000 and I have basic remote control function using the Hauppauge remote.Its a very powerful PVR system and of course it is completely free of charge.Once the system starts you will not need to leave it for any other reason than a shutdown.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I found anything to do with MythTV a pig to set up. I have the Mythbuntu disk somewhere, probably under a flowerpot. Kaffeine does fine for me for what I use it for. But I agree it looks a good distro if you have the patience to get it working.

petediscrete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
mvision hd200 combo + Technomate 5400 Super+ technomate diseqc motor+ TD110 dish
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
Yes MythTV itself is a bugger to configure but Mythbuntu was put together with that in mind.As it runs as a standalone desktop system once you have everything hooked up that you are going to use with it, its a doddle.I was at it over a two year period and had given up too but once Ubuntu 10.04 LTS came along with full support for HD TV I had to have a go again.Its running as a dual boot with XP and I have to admit its a far superior alternative.I reckon you should give it a go again,You'll be surprised for someone who has tried it before.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes,I've got Ubuntu 10.04 now (downloaded it last week), and works fine with my Hauppauge WinTV Nova HD2. I might just try it again. Thanks for the reminder.

A

Anonymous-A

mythbuntu, what a bloody nightmare. Just before Christmas I tried to set up a dual boot on my HTPC and got nowhere. In fact I stupidly ended up repartitioning my main boot drive on my HTPC and will now have to seek out some decent disk recovery software to get back 1TB of films, data and windows system files.

Any recommendations for some disk recovery software? I won't be touching mythbuntu again - it's just a load of trouble.

petediscrete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
Don't mess around any further with your system.Google Ubuntu forums on another PC and they should be able to help.Tools like Damn Small Linux,Knoppix or Puppy Linux should do the trick helping to recover your HD.Again, if you are using a Linux based HTPC I suggest you don't use a dual boot system unless you are extremely familiar with disk partitoning and always set up a Home partition so if your system software crashes you can always reinstall without overwriting your pictures/videos etc.Remember Myth is constantly under development and its not for the "click and go" user.

simonnev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm7020s\dream500s\technomate7755
triac 88
moteck motor
45W-42E
My Location
oldham
just finally got my myth boxes working. It is a nightmare on the setup side, mysql was running on the slave backend with xbmc! many a night pulling my hair out !!!
However it has been worth it, I wanted a box to do all ie music,Films,live tv and pvr, to replace dm500 * 4 and a Dm7020, I wanted to be able too share all the media content from one box, which I now have and the hd channels bbc and itv chan4.
At the minute i have my server (mythbackendmaster) with a dual pci card in it which will take care of all the media files and pvr, I have a 80gig sys disk, then i fitted 1.5tb for media ie films,music and a 1tb for tv pvr, I also have a slave backend with 2 pci cards in it the lounge(waiting for the cable too come too mount a new dish) also running a small revo pc in the bedroom as a frontend, the dm7020 is in use for a cccam server for my card which now works with mythtv, i will be removing this in the near future and using a card reader on the server, I couldn't be more happier (still a few glitches), need to get the trans-coding to work and auto remove adverts, also how many satellite feeds i will need to serve the rooms ie kids bedrooms etc... It would have worked out cheaper than buying the dreamboxes and is more future proof..

Simon