nearest satellite location?

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TECHNOMATE TM 6900 HD SUPER COMBO

EUROSTAR 130cm SATELLITE DISH
My Location
glasgow
hi all just looking for a bit of help in finding out the nearest sat to my location...this is all new to me and shortly going to be installing my new system....been reading through the posts and learned quite a bit....thanks guys....and thanx in advance for answering this post

my longitude 55 39' 05" n
my latitude 4 47' 46" w

G

Atlantic Bird 3 at 5W.

Not only is it just about due South from you but it is the strongest one available in many parts of the UK (being about 2dB up on 28E even!).

My wife has a dedicated Zone 1 Sky Titchidish on 5W for her French stuff. It rocks. The fact that you can't Skew a Sky LNB far enough towards near zero matters not a jot.

I'm sure you'll get set up without undue difficulty, but we're here to help if you hit any snags. It's always far easier in retrospect!

Edit: I see you are using a 1.3m Dish. I suggest that once you've got 5W, you then go to Thor to finish your fine tuning as you will find some weaker TPs there.

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
glasgow
thanx a lot rai uni for the advice its much appreciated.....first try at this so hopefully everything goes smoothly enough thanx again

G

Well don't forget that unless your Mount is plumb vertical, the exercise is a waste of time.

The rest of it is logical and straightforward, but mistakes/misunderstanding can and do happen and that's how all of us learned :-biggrin

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
glasgow
rai uno...another question you might be able to answer.......how far away from obstructions ie houses tree's hatever.....should the dish be...thanx

G

A bit of basic trigonometry (Oh, no, I hear you cry!) should sort that out.

The range of elevation across the Arc for your location will be between around 17 degrees at the ends to something like 25 degrees in the middle (I'm guessing .... ).

You can get these values for yourself from many useful sites, one of the easier ones to use being _http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

That range of Elevations and the height and distance of any likely obstacles will all form a nice little triangle for you to scratch your head over!

In practice, I have some massive trees less than 50 metres away from me and they only restrict my Arc past 39E. Things are often not as bad as they seem.

To the Moderators and other fine folk with whips: I hope I've tinkered with the linkie in the appropriate manner ................ :-righton

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Rai, lol

fergieboy29, what motor are you using for your EUROSTAR 130cm out of interest?

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
glasgow
hi satelliteman sorry about delay in replying im using a stab h120 motor

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
glasgow

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I don't think the EUROSTAR 130cm dishes are too heavy anyway.

fergieboy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
glasgow
no satman for the size it isnt that heavy...the motor seems to be doing the job anyway

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You have to beware of the backlash (slack on the motor arm) on stab 120 motors, particularly with a dish that large, as it can easily take you off beam on the outer satellites.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Have you seen that effect the USALS positioning and have you seen that on many STABs Rolfw....

I know there can be a bit of slop on a new STAB motor- a bit disturbing when you're putting one in with a heavy dish- but in USALS, the numbers are bang on... which I figure they must have designed it like that with internal compensation and that 'give' might give longer life in strong winds- (Probably does cause greater temp' loss in strong wind).

I Just checked an arc with one on a heavy dish and from 45e to 45w there is barely .1 degrees out on 3 sats out of 30 with max values right round the arc on all strong tps with no gain nudging in any direction on any... but if you go out to the dish you can feel 'that' play.

Usually you see the typical compensation at the extreme east/ west satellites of pulling back.. that is 45w ends up at 43w... 45e at 42e etc... decreasing to the middle ... and a pronounced difference in signal strengths on satellites higher on the arc depending if you drive into them from the east or west ... usually see that on a sloppy polar mount hidden by 36v / diseqc control unless you look on the dial on the dish ...