Need advise on router/receiver setup

henrikno7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1600 ci, 80cm motorised dish,viacsess cam + art sports card
My Location
south lanarkshire (glasgow)
sorry if this post is in the wrong place but i,ve been away for a while and have some catching up to do regarding ccam, i,ve been offered an eagle receiver and was told i need a router which i have and was told the receiver has to be connected to the eagle receiver,i was searching the net and found a diagram and it showed a adsl router pointing to a receiver the router then to a server and so on ,the diagram didnt really give me alot of info,b4 i buy this receiver all i was want know is can i use a wireless cable router? i was told aslong as i can connect the router 2 the receiver i would be ok,my cable feed and sat feed come in at the same point in the house so do i connect my cable modem to the router then connect an ethernet cable to the eagle receiver? as you can gather i,m unsure about this ,this may sound stupid by why use a router when i could connect the modem to the receiver via ethernet or am i way off mark? thats basically all i want to know,the router 2 receiver part

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yes, cable to the reciever is the best way to go. You can use a wireless router for the rest.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
henrikno7 said:
i could connect the modem to the receiver via ethernet or am i way off mark?
No, your spot on. Your box will just need an internet connection.

Your modem is most likely a modem/router in any case.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
Cable modems normally have only one ethernet port coming out of them. So, if you want to connect the receiver as well as some PCs to the internet, then you will need a router. The router will have one upstream port that you connect to the cable modem and typically have 4 or more ports for connecting your internal devices, like PCs, your receiver etc. It is advisable to use a router in any event as it will allow you to block access to ports from the internet. This is advisable, especially if you run PCs (Windows PCs especially vulnerable) on the network. This is called a firewall and provides protection against malicious people out there.

Some other things to be aware of:
1. The Eagle box is a clone of a dreambox and some images (like Gemini) will brick it and make it into a doorstop.
2. The receiver should remain connected to the internet most of the time, when you get into some of the enhanced features that it supports.
3. Many of the operations that you perform on the receiver will require that the receiver and PC be connected - this is most easily achieved by using a router or a switch. As a router also gives you access to the internet and typically provides a firewall, it is the better solution.
4. It is best to assign a fixed IP to the receiver as you need to connect to it from your PC to update it. If you use DHCP (where the router assigns a dynamic IP) the address can keep changing and it makes setting the receiver up difficult as you need to establish its IP each time.
5. The connections are simple: The router plugs into the cable modem and everything else plugs into the router. If you use a wireless router you can use a wireless USB dongle on some receivers - I dont know if this applies to the Eagle box. Edimax makes some quite cheap wireless routers that work quite well - see scan for prices.

Try using some puctuation as it makes reading a lot simpler.

henrikno7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1600 ci, 80cm motorised dish,viacsess cam + art sports card
My Location
south lanarkshire (glasgow)
thanks 4 the help guys,its appreciated,and sorry about the puncuation i was typing 2 quick in the early hours of this morningO-zzz