Need help with understanding encryption. Namely Oak Orion.

Paul921

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Offical DStv SA Subscription @ 68.5E with smart LNB, and three Explora PVRS. also have my own IPTV Set up
My Location
Cape Town
Hi all.

Myself, and a few other enthusiasts are attempting to build a scambler, and something which will allow us to be able to scamble and descramble our own channels using the old decoders that were used in South Africa for M-Net, and Filmnet in Europe, and I believe in a few other places. This used the Deta scrambling system with was based on Oak Orion, which uses Irdeto encryption for the sound.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi all.

Myself, and a few other enthusiasts are attempting to build a scambler, and something which will allow us to be able to scamble and descramble our own channels using the old decoders that were used in South Africa for M-Net, and Filmnet in Europe, and I believe in a few other places. This used the Deta scrambling system with was based on Oak Orion, which uses Irdeto encryption for the sound.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

If I remember correctly, the Filmnet decoders for use in Europe were using D2-MAC encryption. Brands that come to mind were Phillips and Churchill, not sure if Pace made one also.
The TV-1000 channel was also available on these decoders, a couple of popular channels at the time along with the Saturday afternoon soccer matches from one of the Norwegian channels on 0.8W

It was this stuff that got me hooked on motorised hobby satellite reception years ago.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If I remember correctly, the Filmnet decoders for use in Europe were using D2-MAC encryption. Brands that come to mind were Phillips and Churchill, not sure if Pace made one also.
The TV-1000 channel was also available on these decoders, a couple of popular channels at the time along with the Saturday afternoon soccer matches from one of the Norwegian channels on 0.8W

It was this stuff that got me hooked on motorised hobby satellite reception years ago.
That's before FilmNet switched to D2MAC. Prior to that they used a modified Irdeto/Oak system called SATPAC. I have a few decoders in the loft. Similarly, RTL4 used Luxcrypt - again based on Oak Orion but without scrambled audio.

From what I know (and it isn't a lot), Oak replaced h and v-sync pulses with a ~2MHz sine wave. They also had a picture inversion bit - perhaps based on APL (average picture level), which indicated whether a picture is inverted or not. I believe this was done at field or frame level. The whole picture level (including pulses and blanking areas) was also reduced to 0-0.7V.

I'd be very interested in following your work. We tried to get RTL4 decoders working with hacktv but without much luck so far.