tmoore4748

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technotrend 3200
homemade PVR
cheapo 80cm dish and LNB
My Location
germany
I'm looking at getting set up with a Dragon CAM to work with my GermanS*y service, which gets S*y channels and all that. One problem: even after reading Duwgati's tutorials (yes, all of them, it took a few days), I still don't know if I can use a homebrew PVR with my servivce. I got used to having one in the States, and now it looks like I'm screwed.

GermanS*y uses Astra 28.2, so I would assume it uses the same broadcast methods regular S*y uses, but my question is this: can I get a Dragon CAM, slide it in my Technotrend 3200, use my current subscription card and the serial from the S*ybox I own, and expect it to work? I've never had to use CAMs before, as all my stuff in the States was FTA (I've got a HUGE BUD that I've had for years, but there's nowhere for me to put it here, so I'm stuck with pay TV).

You could call me a noob, but I'm pretty well boned up to be dangerous, so I'm not totally off center in intelligence. Just a simple yes or no, with a basic explanation is all I'll need.

GermanS*y deeply frowns on using PVRs unless they're bought from them, and I don't like the idea that I have to **** it just to get what I want, which is my satbox on the home network. Any help on my question would be appreciated.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Lets get your terminology straightened out or everyonne is going to get very confused...

Theres no such thing as German Sky. 28E is used by Sky UK. Germany uses mainly 19E although 23E is coming into increasing use as well.

As long as your Dragon is loaded with a suitable version of Predator you should be able to do what you want BUT you will still need a sky digibox to put the card into overnight one or two days a month. Sky UK uses "stay alive" codes. If the card misses an authorisation it automatically deactivates until it gets a valid code. Im pretty sure Dragon cams do not pass these authorisations to the card.

tmoore4748

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technotrend 3200
homemade PVR
cheapo 80cm dish and LNB
My Location
germany
OK, everything is starting to make sense now. Basically, I'm tuned in to Astra 28.2 here in Germany, and I asked a friend about why I use "GermanSky", and she explained that basically it's not a service company, but a billing company, nothing else. So now I understand that.

My problem now is what Dragon Cam do I need, what firmware do I need, and if I have to get the firmware myself, how do I get it on the CAM? Do I need extra hardware to program the CAM, or can I plug it into my HTPC's CAM slot and upload the firmware, or do I need a "loader card" with the necessary firmware on it?

I know it seems like a lot of what are probably silly, or even stupid, questions, but I'm at a total loss. I'm not finding anything on the forum, but I'm sure it's here somewhere. Your patient help is much appreciated.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Even if you got a Dragon Cam you would still need a S*y digibox, to periodically allow the card to receive the stay alive signal.
A dreambox might be a better investment as I think this can update the card, with the stay alive signal, but you will need somebody with a dreambox, and S*y subscription, to confirm this.

shagx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000
Dreambox 800
Dreambox 500
My Location
uk
I can confirm a dreambox or triple dragon will do as you want and allow the sky card to update

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
tmoore:
- don't forget to "pair" your skycard to a digibox (so you need even a scrappy ebay digibox anyway) and then insert the digibox serial number into the dragoncam/dreambox/tripledragon (settings-NDS box serial - 10 digit number), otherwise "premium channels" won't work
- dragon cam firmware: predator 3.11 and any newer
- you have to program the dragon cam by yourself by a loader card or a suitable programmer (CAS3 or similar)

Dogmatix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5500
My Location
Germany
shagx said:
I can confirm a dreambox or triple dragon will do as you want and allow the sky card to update

"Triple dragon"? Wossat? Sounds like something out of Dr Who...

Dogmatix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5500
My Location
Germany
Dogmatix said:
"Triple dragon"? Wossat?

Sorry, silly question... google and ye shall find. I thought it might be a new Dragon CAM with two SIM card holders (hence triple) but no such luck; it's a whole receiver but with only one CAM slot and only one tuner. Maybe they'll come up with a twin tuner version (with more CAMs, please) in the future ("Quad Dragon"?).

-SAT-MANOS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Greece
I’m interesting in getting a Sky Digital subscription, but I don’t want the digiboxes of Sky, because I’ll use unicable technology and I’ll share my card via LAN to my other receiver in the other room. Digiboxes don’t support these. They don’t even support DiSEqC!!! So I wonder what I have to do in order to get Sky Digital. Let’s see if I get it straight.
1. I buy a Digital Sky card.
2. I buy a Digibox.
3. I buy the 2 receivers I want to use (both with LAN). For example 2 Dreambox.
4. I get an annual subscription to Sky Digital. I have to give my Sky Digital card number if I’m not mistaken in order to subscribe to Sky Digital.

This is the part that confuses me.
1. Do I have to get a Dragon CAM which supports videoguard???
2. Do I have to update the CAM to latest firmware??? If so, can I do this connecting my receiver to internet or can do I this with another way? Sorry for asking such things, but I haven’t use satellite TV for the past 4 years, when I was using my old simple Humax receiver. :(
3. “you have to program the dragon cam by yourself by a loader card or a suitable programmer (CAS3 or similar)” I didn’t get this. How can I do this?? Can you post a link with instructions???
4. Then I have to fill the NDS box in the receiver with the card with the serial number of digibox. I guess I’ll have to read the manual of the receiver in order to find that NDS box. ;)
5. Then I’ll connect the 2 receivers via LAN.
6. When I’ll connect the 2 receivers via LAN, how can I share the card in order to be able to record and watch Sky Digital in both receivers??? Any link for this??

If you know a link, which can answer my questions and much more about using a non-digibox receiver and sharing a card via LAN, please feel free to post it here.

Thank you in advance and forgive me for the silly questions that I might have asked you.

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S & 7020s. Technomate 9100 & 1500. Force frontier fixed, Raven 90 fixed, Triax 90 motorised dish. Diablo & dragon cams.
My Location
South West

-SAT-MANOS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Greece
Nice. :)
Does the same thing apply to Triple Dragon???
How would I know if my receiver will need a CAM or not???
Currently I don't have a receiver and as far as I know dreambox doesn't support unicable.

Thanks. :)

Edit: Thanks for the link. :)

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S & 7020s. Technomate 9100 & 1500. Force frontier fixed, Raven 90 fixed, Triax 90 motorised dish. Diablo & dragon cams.
My Location
South West
Triple dragon should be the same, personally I think you will find the dreambox simpler and better supported, if you can't afford this then the technomate 9100 is another option (there are many) but this isn't as supported as the dreambox, maybe a look at 500 if you're going to the expense of buying a couple.
Sorry, don't know what unicable is.

regards,
Ollie

-SAT-MANOS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Greece
Unicable is a technology which allows you to use up to 8 independent tuners with 1 single cable from the TV/Satellite switcher. Currently it supports up to 2 LNB. Unfortunately there aren’t many receivers which support this.
Personally I prefer Dreambox. I hope the new quad-tuner dreambox will support unicable. Triple Dragon supports unicable, but it has only 1 tuner.
Do I need a CAM with the “Technomate 9100”??? I guess the most receivers with Linux based OS that came with a lots of extra software (like Dreambox and Triple Dragon) won’t need a CAM. Right???

Thanks for your fast reply. :)

Edit: Unfortunately "Technomate 9100" doesn't support unicable.

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South West
The TM9100 will not need a cam either, the linux receivers that I have experienced (dreambox, TD & 9100) do not need an additional cam.

Regards,
Ollie