Network connection

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Dublin
Hey all, I just bought a dm500 clone, I have it in my game room out my back garden, about 20 metres from my house.My wifi does strecth out there, and I get a download speed of 1.87Mbps. Which I believe should suffice?I'm only new to satellite, though I have researched for nights on end. And I understand almost everything I have to do.At first I thought I had two options.-run a cat5 cable from my router out to the game room.-use a wifi bridgeNow I'm not so sure about the second option.I have only heard of the term FTP and never understood what it was until now. I have read on various sites that you can't use an FTP program over a wifi bridge, or you can though it's slow. I've also read on other sites that you can FTP using a wifi bridge.So I'd like if anybody can help me clear this up. And what you think my best option would be.Thanks for any help in advance

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I'm sure one of the Dreambox owners can help you, when they have time, unfortunately most of us do have to go work, occasionally:)

I've read your thread and I'm not sure what you're trying to do, or what information you require, from memory FTP just stands for File Transfer Protocol, for which your Wi Fi speed seems fine, but what exactly are you trying to do?
Are you using the Dreambox to stream movies from your PC?
Are you using it as a satellite receiver and trying to share a subscription card?
What exactly is your satellite set up, apart from a Dreambox 500s?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Dublin
Hi mickhaI have a motorized 1.1 triax sat. And the db500Trying to CS, from what I read I need to be able to transfer files from pc/laptop to dream using an FTP program.I just need to know wheter this can be done using wifi bridge. Or do I have to have my pc connected to router through Ethernet and my db connected to router through Ethernet.

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
FTP is just logging into your box wireless/wired and changing settings
You will be able to do it wireless. You will have to set the wireless bridge up on your computer then connect it to your dreambox when done.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
If you want to record from the dreambox to your pc, get a 30meter cat5e cable

They`re only UK£2.98 delivered on eBay item no: 250857779720

The same can be said about streaming movies/music from your pc to the dreambox, do this over WI-FI or you will notice a lot of break up when trying to stream

The WI-FI bridge will work for CS but a wired connection is more stable because you only need someone close by or out your back to be using, or to start using, the same WI-FI channel as you and it will all go tits up and could make your speed suffer and your picture break up.

With CS (hopefully you are using a legit sub you own to share and not a commercial server) the box only connects to the server to get the keys to open up the channel when the keys roll or if it stays connected to the server waiting for a keyroll it wont use a lot of bandwidth, think leaving msn logged in when your not chatting, so its not that bandwidth hungry

The FTP part is only used to send channel lists for the various satellites and to update the softcams, this can be done over WI-FI and you shouldnt notice a speed difference over wired if you are getting a good signal in the games room, in all honest you can take the box indoors and FTP everything over so you dont need to worry about the FTP part

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Dublin
smoggy07 said:
If you want to record from the dreambox to your pc, get a 30meter cat5e cableThey`re only UK£2.98 delivered on eBay item no: 250857779720The same can be said about streaming movies/music from your pc to the dreambox, do this over WI-FI or you will notice a lot of break up when trying to streamThe WI-FI bridge will work for CS but a wired connection is more stable because you only need someone close by or out your back to be using, or to start using, the same WI-FI channel as you and it will all go tits up and could make your speed suffer and your picture break up.With CS (hopefully you are using a legit sub you own to share and not a commercial server) the box only connects to the server to get the keys to open up the channel when the keys roll or if it stays connected to the server waiting for a keyroll it wont use a lot of bandwidth, think leaving msn logged in when your not chatting, so its not that bandwidth hungryThe FTP part is only used to send channel lists for the various satellites and to update the softcams, this can be done over WI-FI and you shouldnt notice a speed difference over wired if you are getting a good signal in the games room, in all honest you can take the box indoors and FTP everything over so you dont need to worry about the FTP part
Thanks smoggy, answer I was hoping for. And thanks to others for their input.