New Card Problem

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My sister got hold of a FTA Card (from Sky) when she was in England and brought it over here (Spain) to put in a Grundig Digibox that I had bought her. The card has been in the box for 48 hrs now , but we still can't get Ch4, ITV1, Ch5 etc....
I was told that it should just 'update automatically’ , or do I have to call Sky again?

Thanx in advance for any help.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Maybe wrong, but doesn't the card have to be 'paired' with box?

Think you'll not have to call Sky with the box number - then the card will update.

Sure someone will confirm this.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well the card certainly needs to be activated first, if it has and the box can see the default transponder, then an activated card, regardless of whether it is paired to the box, will update overnight.

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
--------------------Update---------------------------------

We left the card in the box but nothing happened.

We called Sky (from England) and the guy there asked for all the system details
Model Number, Version Number etc etc....When she read out the Operating System Version (1.254Ba) he said it needed updating and she should call again when she is 'at home with the box'

The box is here in Spain....... :-doh!

Any ideas chaps? :confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Does the box recognise the card? Sorry, should have asked that first. :)

You should see the card number in the system details under Services/System Setup.

RogerP

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Phone them again when you are with the box but pretend you are at the address given when the card was bought. Its best to write it all down first as I gave the wrong house number while I was frantically trying to find the envelope the card came in!!

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Sounds like you have a old version of software, force a new download by un-plugging from mains, re insert mains whilst pressing BACKUP button on front of receiver, keep pressed in till 4 lights appear on front of digibox and message appears on screen "Updating Software" etc. see-:

http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/Sky.htm#quick26

When you go to system details menu, does it recognise your card number?

Snr_Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've successfully forced the software update and the box now displays the card number in the system setup details (it didn't before)
I presume I now need to call Sky again, to 'pair' the card to the box, or, if I leave everything on will it update automatically?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, you will need to phone them. :)

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
I think the ftv cards come on automatically when the digibox is connected to the phone line in the UK.

phillbutt180

Reaction score
My Location
spain
If you phone sky from spain ,make sure that you put 067 number before the english number0044,then they cant see where your ringing from. or english mobile.

winkle

Reaction score
Hi

if you have a free to air card the number you need to phone is 08076061111< add uk code>
you don't need to be connected to a telephone,the cost of the card apprx £22.00
they will ask for the version number.
the serial number.
card number and some times the RPG number
all found on
service button..4 then 5.
they do ask for, the name and full address and post code
and phone number and is it connected to the phone But! does not need to be connected.
c.u
winkle

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
winkle said:
Hi

if you have a free to air card the number you need to phone is 08076061111< add uk code>
winkle
the above number is to request/order a freesat card. To activate the card the number to phone is 0870 850 0033