New DB7000s - best image

peloquin

Reaction score
K...I am going to get myself a DB this week....what is the best image for a newbie regarding Satellites...I am very experienced with Linux so I have no worries there and I am getting the kit installed by a local installer.

Your comments would be welcome

Peloquin

joe publik

Reaction score
Thats a good question, one I was pondering asking when I got my DB7K last week ... In that time I have tried a few and settled on Hydra Achilles - The downloading of updated/latest S*ftc*ms and k*ys is ace. I think my second choice would be PP. I had some problems with SF/RU images, which may have been down to me rather than with the images; I will try those again one day.

Try them all. Play & experiment. Let me know which one you preferred ...

MacAddict

Reaction score
When I started I used Hydra. Since then I have a played with most of the imgaes available.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Tried a load myself and managed to hang box (fixed for now).

Latest image is PeterPan which has lots of information listings for each function.

Being a Linux expert this may interest you.

Look forward to hearing your findings.

peloquin

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for your input, I am going to go for the PP I think and once I am comfortable with the setup etc I will experiment with other images.

Peloquin

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
peloquin said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for your input, I am going to go for the PP I think and once I am comfortable with the setup etc I will experiment with other images.

Peloquin

Did you see earlier post that the 7000s may be in short supply.

Speculation is that a new model may be out soon....

It's make your mind up time!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Seem to be one of the few using Black Tiger and NewcamD, but works for me. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Seem to be one of the few using Black Tiger and NewcamD, but works for me. :)
I'm there too. It's not perfect, but it works and it's stable.
I'm not one for bu99ering about with new images every day, I'd rather read about how bad the images I'm not using are!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
gameboy said:
Did you see earlier post that the 7000s may be in short supply.

Speculation is that a new model may be out soon....

It's make your mind up time!
I think that the reason that they're in short supply, is that we keep 'biging them up', and all the new members here go and buy one. They'll have them in Argos soon, you mark my words!!!

Our Dreambox section is certainly lively these days!

:cool:

peloquin

Reaction score
Yeah I read about the possibilty of a new model....about this time last year there was similar rumours but I believe all that happened was a few tweaks to the DB. I am not a great believer in buying new kit straight off the production lines for the obvious reasons, especially if it is based on the open source model *cough* so if a new model does drop soon I will wait possibly 12 months before considering.

Thanks again for your help.

Peloquin

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
peloquin said:
I believe all that happened was a few tweaks to the DB.
Peloquin

They added more vent slots on the left hand side panel - seems to work mine has 160 gig drive and doesn't heat up much at all.

Once you have a movie on the HD can you edit it down within the DB?

I find the record, play, delete sequence hard to master. Always end up in a menu I didn't really want.

peloquin

Reaction score
Aparrently the new DB is going to have a DVD recorder not sure if that is the only new feature, dont know if that is old news though. Anyway I have my new DB 7KS I also have bought a 1.1 Triax a 1.2 aston motor and a Novacom .3db LNB and all the trimmings.....getting the dish installed on Friday morning so I may be back on Friday afternoon asking for help if I cant get it working.....

Peloquin

joe publik

Reaction score
That's gonna be one excelllent set-up. Let ua know how you get on with it and the DB7K etc ....