New dreambox, recommendation for an image?

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Just got delivery of my dreamboxes. 7020s. Have read lots of guides, and what not, to get me acquainted before tinkering. Haven't tried them yet as waiting for my dish to be installed.

Can somone recommend a first image to go for, or shall I delve straight into a multi boot? Have both a USB drive and HDD for that. Card sharing is a must for which ever image I use.

Was thinking maybe the Hydra Phoeninx image, as I think I've seen a specific flashing guide for that somewhere.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
yazooo said:
Have both a USB drive and HDD for that.

Was thinking maybe the Hydra Phoeninx image, as I think I've seen a specific flashing guide for that somewhere.

I would use the USB for multi images - if you use the drive it has to spin all the time - more wear and noise.

I still like the Phoenix images - if you have to box connected to the Internet then updates are easy.

Welcome to the world of Dreambox - and a few nightmares as well no doubt.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Cheers for that, will go with the phoenix first, and will go with usb driver for multi. Yeah it'll be connected to my wireless router via a wireless bridege.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Have you any problems with the phoenix image? Have tried flashing it twice, but when booting afterwards I never get past the logo screen. Have tried several others and they all work fine.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
I've also been using Hydra, until then stopped it's support. I've switched to gemini and haven't regretted this one day. Check out the Gemini Manager, it'll let you maintain the dreambox from your pc. I've also played around with other images, but found most to be a waste of time. Once you've got something what does what you want it to do : stick with it for as long as you can !

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Yeah I tried Gemini, Pi, Trillenium, Dobbie, and now Neutrino. I found Pi and Neutrino impressive, however Pi no longer has server support, and Gemini today seemed to stop updating. I didn't know about the Gemini Manager, so will go back and look at that.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Got everything working and tried the Gemini manager. What a great bit of software, the video streaming is by far the best I've seen and quickest to start up as well. While you can change the language of the camd3 manager, I can't see that option for the TV streamer and the Addon installer unfortunately, but you can find your way round alright. Thanks for the tip!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
yazooo said:
Got everything working

It has been said already - once you get an image you like best to stick with it.

You can always play around with USB 'multi boot' images if you like to experiment.

I had problems with some images hanging on start up - downloaded them from another site and they all worked OK.

This is a time off slim pickings Channel wise - but you never know what's around the next corner...
...and that's part of the fun. O-Ha

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Oh yeah, I aint fiddling with this setup for now, any other images will go on usb drive when that is figured out. Now to install the other 2 boxes, and card sharing, wifi bridge....lol...and I thought I was done!